IGNORED

Rules Questions. Casual water close to water hazard

klund
Note: This thread is 4762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hope this is in the right forum.

I recently played around in Australia an they have got some extra water this year. One of the waterhazards was flooded. I ended up outside the hazard but in some water connected to hazard.

From the rules i read this

Water hazard = All ground or water within the margin of a water hazard is part of the water hazar

Casual water = Casual water is any temporary water on the course which is not in a water hazard and that is visible before or after a player takes his stance.

The bold the reason i dont think it should be a waterhazard.

My opponent was sure he heard somewhere that it should be treated as a hazard. I had my rulesbook and showed him the above quotes but he was certain so i played an alternative ball but counted "my" ruling with a drop for casual water.

Can someone clearify this? If it is to be treated as a waterhazard please refer to decision or rule.

Thank you

Originally Posted by klund

Hope this is in the right forum.

I recently played around in Australia an they have got some extra water this year. One of the waterhazards was flooded. I ended up outside the hazard but in some water connected to hazard.

From the rules i read this

Water hazard = All ground or water within the margin of a water hazard is part of the water hazar

Casual water = Casual water is any temporary water on the course which is not in a water hazard and that is visible before or after a player takes his stance.

The bold the reason i dont think it should be a waterhazard.

My opponent was sure he heard somewhere that it should be treated as a hazard. I had my rulesbook and showed him the above quotes but he was certain so i played an alternative ball but counted "my" ruling with a drop for casual water.

Can someone clearify this? If it is to be treated as a waterhazard please refer to decision or rule.

Thank you

You are correct.  water outside of the margin of the hazard is casual water.  Decision 25/2 covers this:

25/2  Overflow from Water Hazard

Q. If a pond (water hazard) has overflowed, is the overflow casual water?

A. Yes. Any overflow of water from a water hazard which is outside the margin of the hazard is casual water.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Interesting side bar to this.  Played a course southwest of LA back in February that had gotten a lot of rain.  Because of it's location and terrain there was a lot of water on the course.  Some of the larger areas were actually marked with stakes as hazards.  Found it confusing at first because these didn't show on my GPS.  Didn't really think about it since I didn't get into any of them but assume they were valid as hazards because a) they weren't an extension of an existing hazard and b) they were clearly marked as hazards.

Our high school golf season in Maine is in the fall. We play down at Augusta at a course just outside the city. We received a couple of inches of rain the day before and it was interesting for sure. Everywhere you stepped it was standing water. I have never seen a course played where you couldn't take relief from standing water because on some holes there was no where to get relief from it. Definitely an interesting experience.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!