IGNORED

Weightlifting's Effect on the Golf Swing

JD616
Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like an opinion on my workout routine.  I used to swim 2-3 miles everyday, 5 days a week.  Then I switched to running MWF and swimming T,Th. (Saturday has alway been my golf day and I take Sundays off).

Now my work out consists of the following (for the last four months):  MWF upper body weight lifting (sets of 8-10, 10 reps, bench press; set of 8-10, 10 reps military press, set of 8-10, 3 reps dumbbell curls; 200 sit-ups; sets of 7-10, 2 reps pull ups, then repeat the entire process); T, Th (Cardio workout days) run 8-10 miles each day.  Satudays, play a round of golf.  Sundays, take a day off.  So basically, I do 20 reps of bench press, 20 reps of military press, 6 reps of curls, 400 sit-ups and 4 reps of pull ups on MWF.

I don't do "heavy" lifting.  More of a medium to medium/heavy.  I don't want bulk, but lean, toned muscles.

I also started eating more protein.  I drink protein shakes for breakfast and snack on protein bars during the day.  I usually don't eat breakfast (except for the protein shake); eat moderate lunch and moderate dinner.  One day a week, I'll drink 2 or 3 bottle of light beer.

I have noticed that my waist has gotten smaller (from 32 to 30).  I have always been physically fit as I have swam and played water polo in my high school and college days.  I have never stopped working out since my high school days.

I do have some definition of my abs, but I want more clearly defined abs.  And I am hoping this new work out routine will get me there.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Yukari

I would like an opinion on my workout routine.  I used to swim 2-3 miles everyday, 5 days a week.  Then I switched to running MWF and swimming T,Th. (Saturday has alway been my golf day and I take Sundays off).

Now my work out consists of the following (for the last four months):  MWF upper body weight lifting (sets of 8-10, 10 reps, bench press; set of 8-10, 10 reps military press, set of 8-10, 3 reps dumbbell curls; 200 sit-ups; sets of 7-10, 2 reps pull ups, then repeat the entire process); T, Th (Cardio workout days) run 8-10 miles each day.  Satudays, play a round of golf.  Sundays, take a day off.  So basically, I do 20 reps of bench press, 20 reps of military press, 6 reps of curls, 400 sit-ups and 4 reps of pull ups on MWF.

I don't do "heavy" lifting.  More of a medium to medium/heavy.  I don't want bulk, but lean, toned muscles.

I also started eating more protein.  I drink protein shakes for breakfast and snack on protein bars during the day.  I usually don't eat breakfast (except for the protein shake); eat moderate lunch and moderate dinner.  One day a week, I'll drink 2 or 3 bottle of light beer.

I have noticed that my waist has gotten smaller (from 32 to 30).  I have always been physically fit as I have swam and played water polo in my high school and college days.  I have never stopped working out since my high school days.

I do have some definition of my abs, but I want more clearly defined abs.  And I am hoping this new work out routine will get me there.

Sounds great on what your doing now.  My only suggestion is to be weary of the protein shakes.  You may be getting to much protein, in which case the body converts and stores the excess as fat.  go to mypyramid.gov to see how much protein you need.  Be careful of the quality of protein you are getting as well it has been shown that by just drinking two glasses of 2% milk gives you the same amount of quality protein than the protein powder.  Most of the times protein powder is the waste that cheese factories produce then they dehydrate it and sell to these companies who can price is at a ridiculous amount. Check out purebulk.com to see how much you can for little.  And this includes no fillers.  When you see proprietary blend on the container that means its rice powder which does nothing for you.

As for over training I don't think I am, because I allow my body time to recover. Here's how a week normally goes unless I decide to go to the other gym instead of working out at the school.

Monday- Lifting

Tuesday- Band resistance training and kettlebell

Wednesday- Off day

Thursday- Lifting

Friday- Band resistance training and kettlebell

Weekends are recovery

As for golf I at least swing everyday, whether I play or not is dictated by the weather, but when summer rolls around I would say I play at least 5 out of 7 days a week.

I plan to start running when this crappy weather gets out of here, but until then the only cardio I get is Monday and Wednesday at school during one of my classes. (We do things like: step aerobics, yoga, kickboxing, and various other things)

Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!