IGNORED

Square to the Arc (from Roy)

Note: This thread is 1117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Iacas's says that "grip strength is irrelevant," but how could that be true? Hands rotated on the grip too far counter-clockwise at setup promotes forearm roll on the backswing, while very far clockwise inhibits roll. The forearms start off rolled counter-clockwise in the former case, and rolled clockwise in the latter. Am I wrong? My grip has the hands at setup very far clockwise relative to neutral, causing my forearms to be pre-rolled clockwise; this pre-roll is what allows me to take my club face back 225 degrees square to the arc without additional roll.

• Administrator
Iacas's says that "grip strength is irrelevant," but how could that be true? Hands rotated on the grip too far counter-clockwise at setup promotes forearm roll on the backswing, while very far clockwise inhibits roll. The forearms start off rolled counter-clockwise in the former case, and rolled clockwise in the latter. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. You'd have to literally grip the club with your forearm SUPER rotated already to keep the leading edge square to the arc. Your left thumb (assuming a righty) would have to be under the grip rather than on top of it. That would be a terrible grip that's likely employed by precisely zero good players.

My grip has the hands at setup very far clockwise relative to neutral, causing my forearms to be pre-rolled clockwise; this pre-roll is what allows me to take my club face back 225 degrees square to the arc without additional roll.

Nope. You've still got some bad math going on here. Again, the clubface is inline with your left arm at the start of the swing (address position). For it to move 225 degrees, your left arm has to move 225 degrees. That's not happening.

Let's do this: let's stop posting in this thread until you can post a video. Okay?

Thanks.

The only exception: you can directly answer @mvmac 's question: what PGA Tour players keep the clubface square to the arc (if any) during the entire backswing?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I made several attempts today to make an iPhone video of my swing, but none of the takes would clearly reveal anything of relevance to our discussion. Ironically, one great benefit was derived from my attempts: my ball-striking was better than ever, because of the extra attention I paid to making sure I didn't rotate my forearms in order to provide solid evidence of my claims to forum readers. I now have greater confidence in the validity of the square to the arc swing than ever before. Note: I absolutely do NOT think good players should try the square swing, because release is much less fluid than with the orthodox swing. However, for higher handicappers who cannot make consistently decent ball strikes, and for whom club head speed is less important than simply being able to hit the ball square most of the time, I recommend the square swing. By the way, my scores are usually between 90 and 94.

If the condition for posting is that I post a video, I suppose I could make a video, but as I've already said, I tried, and no decent video resulted. Cynics will feel free to suppose that I made a video and to my great surprise, saw my forearms rotating, and don't dare post it , lest I be ridiculed. I will not post in the future, but will continue to try to keep my forearms from rotating. Even if I really am falling short of a perfect square swing, the attempt at it has improved my ball-striking. And, isn't that really what this forum is about, improving each individual's swing?

If the condition for posting is that I post a video, I suppose I could make a video, but as I've already said, I tried, and no decent video resulted. Cynics will feel free to suppose that I made a video and to my great surprise, saw my forearms rotating, and don't dare post it , lest I be ridiculed.

I will not post in the future, but will continue to try to keep my forearms from rotating. Even if I really am falling short of a perfect square swing, the attempt at it has improved my ball-striking. And, isn't that really what this forum is about, improving each individual's swing?

Absolutely and it's good that the feeling works for you. We just don't want other people reading these posts, or even you getting mixed up, into thinking that square to the arc actually happens. And even if you could do it, it's not a swing you would want to use to hit a golf ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• iacas changed the title to Square to the Arc (from Roy)
  • 2 years later...

Roy was correct on this, imo. 
It may not be conventional, but it works best for me and a lot of golfers I know. 
With that being said, everyone has to find the swing that works for them.....

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Glenn007 said:

Roy was correct on this, imo. 
It may not be conventional, but it works best for me and a lot of golfers I know. 
With that being said, everyone has to find the swing that works for them.....

Feel ain’t real.

Show us your swing from face on and down the line at setup and the top of the backswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!