IGNORED

I bought a road bike!

Ben
Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

That's an F5, isn't it?  CF with Shimano 105....nice.  It says you're in Hilton Head?  I rode there last fall.  Great cycle paths.  If you decide riding is not for you, lemme know.  I'll take that baby off your hands.  JK.  Get out and put some mileage on that bad boy!  Felt was on my radar last year before I decided to go steel.  Great groupo on that felt.  Same as mine.  You're gonna love that machine.  Dad's looks nice too!

Yep.  Have only ridden a handful of times so far but I really like the bike (though not a fan of the white tires--will replace at some point, just not too anxious to spend $100 on tires right now).  I want to build up to being able to ride from HHP to Coligny, across the Cross Island, back to HHP, and repeat a 2nd time.  That would total about 32 miles.  Most I have ridden so far was 18 miles while I was getting over being sick and it really kicked my butt.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by Ben

Getting ready for a ride right now...

Doctorfro, what app do you use to track your rides? Or are you? I wanna follow along and check them out!

I use MapMyRide.  I don't map the rides usually because I go so many different places so I simply log the miles and time.  If I mapped them all it would be a mess!  It's a fairly simple website and you can log all your physical activity if you choose.  I started doing that but it was becoming monotonous so I simply do my rides.  I should probably log in my cycle training time though.  Unfortunately the weather has turned a bit cold here.  I have some cold weather gear but when it's windy like today....it's not fun.  Weather looks good for first of the week.  Will hit the cycle trainer tomorrow...basketball tomorrow night...and I'll be ready for Monday's ride!  Scoping out a 38 miles loop that will take me north of Davidson College.  Pretty scenery out in the country.

I am using either MapMyRide or B.Icycle, more so the B.Icycle, like it better than MapMyRide.

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's what I used to say, until I got an iPhone, they are SO awesome!!! :D

Anyhow, Strava is super cool because you can designate "segments". Segments are either full rides or just a part of a ride, certain climbs, descents, or flats for sprints. Strava charts your numbers and puts you in the standings according to how you perform against everyone else. Here's a segment I created. I'm only 13th of the 31 people who have riden it...

strava.JPG

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 1 month later...

Made my first major upgrade, a new wheelset. Torelli Bromio Ultra-Lights . Found a super nice set on craigslist. Rear wheel was actually just rebuilt. I can feel the difference just in holding them in my hands. Couldn't wait to get some time on them! So, my friend called me up coincidentally, and we hit the streets! Took them out for my (and his) longest ride ever today. 41.6mi with some decent climbing . Irvine through Shady Canyon to Newport Beach, along PCH and Corona del Mar then back up through Irvine. The second I got onto open road I could feel the difference with these wheels. I've been told that a wheelset is a biggest gain I'll see in weight reduction, and man, I could feel it with these!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

35 GRUELING miles today!!! I don't think I fueled up properly... Lots of climbing

http://app.strava.com/rides/5613728

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I freakin' killed it today. An experienced rider I know told me a saying once, "Go long or go hard, but don't go both" today, I went hard with my eyes set on three goals. 1) Personal Record on the Tampa-Sesnon climb, got that one! 2) Person Record on the overall ride, 15mi TT, got that one too! 3) Break the 17MPH average speed barrier. And, got that one as well, but had a fight to get it.

Early in the ride I took a left turn really hard and felt a cramp in my right calf, luckily it was going into a downhill so I could maintain my speed while resting it and stretching it out. The cramp went away and I was able to push my speed. Then, as I was almost done with the ride, and riding back uphill to my place, I felt the cramp creeping back with each stroke until it was practically unbearable, I looked down and could see my calf was distorted. I was literally limping on the pedals, using a lot of force with my left stroke and hardly any on the right. Even then, the pain was agonizing. Holy cow!

http://app.strava.com/rides/6175461

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Seven laps around the Rose Bowl today...

http://app.strava.com/rides/6499760

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Glad to see I'm not the only cyclist/golfer in here! I'm on a 2011 Felt Z5 and generally log about 100-150 miles a week, but that was pre-baby! Looking forward to summer when my wife, a teacher, is home and I get to do my early morning rides. I've got a couple centuries on the calendar for this year ...

Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrigm

Glad to see I'm not the only cyclist/golfer in here! I'm on a 2011 Felt Z5 and generally log about 100-150 miles a week, but that was pre-baby! Looking forward to summer when my wife, a teacher, is home and I get to do my early morning rides. I've got a couple centuries on the calendar for this year ...

Cool! Let's see what you've got!

I'm not to the level of centuries yet. I have something planned with a friend that's just over 60, that'll be my longest ride. As of now my longest was 47mi. Up and down the Pacific Coast Highway. It was last Summer. Pretty brutal, but I'm stronger now. http://app.strava.com/rides/1601883 My friend and I did just over 40 a few weeks back and I handled it nicely. I was pleased with how I held up http://app.strava.com/rides/5448509

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Nice, I was looking at Motobecanes for a second. What drivetrain are you running?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Got a few new goodies from my tax return. SRAM rear cassette, Jagwire cables/housing and Selle Italia saddle pictured. Still waiting on my stem and a few jerseys.

Did 35 miles today, now off to the range and putting green...

Bianc4-16-122copy.jpg

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

25.5 miles through Newport Beach and Irvine.

http://app.strava.com/rides/7247505

First time riding in wet conditions

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

First time making a trip around the San Fernando Valley. Wasn't so bad. 37.3miles in all. In 2h5m

http://app.strava.com/rides/7451280

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

58 freakin' miles!!! http://app.strava.com/rides/7868611

My longest ride to date. Man my legs hate me right now. Holy cow. It took me at least a minute before my legs would want to straighten up enough to let me off my bike. Then I had to take a break halfway up the staircase cause they just didn't want to function. It'll be a bit before I try this ride again!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!