IGNORED

I bought a road bike!

Ben
Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the past few years I've really been flip-flopping through ways of getting exercise. My latest adventure, biking. Did some searching on craiglist for weeks until I finally found the one that caught my eye. A little 12 speed Peugeot. Paid $200 for it. Figured I shouldn't go too crazy on my first one. I know road bikes can climb well into the thousands. I've taken it out a few times now. Its a lot of work, but really quite fun, especially flying downhill. And in my neighborhood we've got some nice wide streets with plenty of elevation changes. Today my legs were really put to the test, 12 speeds is just barely enough. A few more gears definitely would have helped some of the climb today.  But, I suppose my legs will get used to it. I've always had some rather large thighs, from riding bikes and skating(board) when I was a kid. I gotta tone them back up. I really think this will do wonders for golf too. Strong thighs and a strong butt will probably go a long way. I'm sure we've got other bikers in here?

Here's my beast:

Peugeot.jpg

• Upvote 1

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Dang! That's awesome looking! I saw a nice Fuji as Sport Chalet yesterday. Didn't even bother looking at the price.

150miles a week?! sheesh. I did 5 miles yesterday and almost died! hahhaaa. There's a member at my club that is hardcore biker guy, he'll do 100 in two days. I wonder if I'll get that hooked?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Careful Ben!  You may get as addicted to cycling as you are to golf!!  I used to race, so I know the feeling.  It is a fun sport and stresses different muscles than running or golf.  Just remember to stretch after you ride or you can develop tightness in your upper legs and back from the posture on the bike.  Have fun and wear a helmet.  Lot's of bad drivers out there.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am putting on the finishing touches for my 2011 build ....a novara randonee ....have a century ride in August that I need to start working on. Anxious to get some miles in...I get up at 6AM on the weekends to log some seat time....

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Careful Ben!  You may get as addicted to cycling as you are to golf!!  I used to race, so I know the feeling.  It is a fun sport and stresses different muscles than running or golf.  Just remember to stretch after you ride or you can develop tightness in your upper legs and back from the posture on the bike.  Have fun and wear a helmet.  Lot's of bad drivers out there.

Stretch, will do. Is there any stretch for my butt, or will it just get used to this seat? hahahahaaa. I cringed as I got on it tonight.

Question about footing. I don't have the click in pedals/shoes. I assume I should be on the balls of my feet as much as possible?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

Dang! That's awesome looking! I saw a nice Fuji as Sport Chalet yesterday. Didn't even bother looking at the price.

150miles a week?! sheesh. I did 5 miles yesterday and almost died! hahhaaa. There's a member at my club that is hardcore biker guy, he'll do 100 in two days. I wonder if I'll get that hooked?

It's not hard to get hooked, this is what started it for me i ride (My commuter below) 12 miles a day back and forth to work.

TEE (2).JPG

Chuck

Originally Posted by Ben

Stretch, will do. Is there any stretch for my butt, or will it just get used to this seat? hahahahaaa. I cringed as I got on it tonight.

Question about footing. I don't have the click in pedals/shoes. I assume I should be on the balls of my feet as much as possible?

Yes stay on the balls of your feet as much as you can, if you get some type of clip-less pedals or straps you will peddle more efficiently.

Your butt will get use to the seat.

Chuck

Be careful about seat fit and position, high mile riders have high rates of impotence.  I am not expert, but maybe a couple pair of the padded bike shorts is a good idea.  I have an old

Raleigh Technum, only  10 speeds that I ride casually.  If you don't want to invest in bike shoes, pedal straps are cheap and work well on the street.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by allin

Be careful about seat fit and position, high mile riders have high rates of impotence.  I am not expert, but maybe a couple pair of the padded bike shorts is a good idea.  I have an old

Raleigh Technum, only  10 speeds that I ride casually.  If you don't want to invest in bike shoes, pedal straps are cheap and work well on the street.

Totally agree on the padded shorts. The uhh... "boys" go a little numb without them and also if you're not on the seat properly. Drives me crazy because I still sit wrong sometimes without realizing it, and everything will kinda go numb but you don't really know it until you stop. and get off. Horrible feeling.

Anyway, I've got a Trek 4300 (Mountain Bike) that I bought 6 years or so ago that's still in perfect shape. If you check the link out, mine is the charcoal/orange one. Rode it on both road and trail for the longest time with the stock tires. At one time, I was doing maybe 50-60 miles per week, but 150 is crazy! Hats off to those that do that much and more, that's impressive. I ended up swapping them out a few months back for some Bontrager H2 hybrid tires and have spent all of my time on the road since. Wow, that made a nice difference that made. I need to start putting more miles in again. I like to switch my cardio routine up a lot so that nothing gets too monotonous and boring, and the bike is a great way to do it.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

My pain is more in my butt than my nuts. hahaha, what a conversation... But it wasn't so bad yesterday. Anyway, I'll look into some padded shorts. Didn't even realize they exist.

Guys/girls. My friend just sent my this video today. Have you heard of this Danny MacAskill guy? Here's a CRAZY video of his stuff on youtube. Not exactly road biking, but anyone, particularly cycling fans should appreciate this...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm what you would call an experienced cyclist.  Bought a Scattante Platinum Elite a few years back - a nice CF bike with good components that was priced so my daughters could still go to college. Unfortunately a busy schedule usually only lets me get a couple 1000 miles a year - but can do some nice 5-6 hour century rides in some reasonably hilly terrain.  First - make sure you get and wear a properly fitted helmet.  Head injuries are not pretty and helmets go a long way toward protecting your noggin.  Second, get some decent cycling clothing - I prefer bibs to shorts but get a jersey or two as well.  Gloves are nice but not essential.  A repair kit and frame pump are good too.  I've been using "clipless" shoes for years and wouldn't think of riding without them.  Efficiency is really improved with them.  Lastly, make sure your bike is properly set up for you.  Weight should be properly balanced between butt and arms without either of them bearing the full load.  Saddle should be set so that your leg does not fully extend on the down stroke - unless you like knee pain.  When properly set up you should avoid any severe problems with hands, shoulders or butt - but expect some mild discomfort as you rack up miles.  My shoulders and neck are usually my weak spots when I get back on the bike after a layoff.

I think cycling is a great exercise for golf.  Great overall strengthening with emphasis on the legs to drive more power into your shots.  Have fun!

Thanks Stealth . I think I'm set up pretty good. The dude I bought this off was the same height and body type as me, and I feel comfortable using the same set up he did. Other then the sore butt mentioned above, which is actually getting better as I ride more. Why are you so big on biker gear? I am looking to get a jersey, but really only to look cool. Quite honestly I'm happy with the lightweight long sleeve Ts I've been using or just regular Ts. As for shorts I just use gym shorts, not basketball style, but runner style, kinda mid-thigh. It was a little chilly out tonight so I paired those with a long leg base layer. Felt great. I should probably invest a pair in some padded shorts, but will wait until I get into longer rides.

This really is turning into something that will keep my interest. Although I'm nowhere near century rides, in the four days I've gone out, I've logged. 23miles. I could have done more tonight, but just wanted to get out for a little bit to work off the huge turkey burger I had for dinner.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I do some indoor biking when my whife is out for the evening :D Not all that often anymore but I used to be very hooked and attended a few races.. Golf has taken over as my new drug these days. Thinking about going back to my bike closer to summer but it can go both ways. Don't have time for both.

19122010065.jpg

• 1 month later...

Watching the Giro D'Italia on TV I've really picked up a lot about how to ride. The one thing that I really noticed is how much riders stay on their saddle while climbing. I'm also taking notes on when they are low on the handlebar compared to sitting up. Its really helped my own riding. The last quarter of the ride I've been doing lately is a steady climb and today I noticed I'm able to keep my speed up and my fatigue down. Yay for biking!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

That's a nice looking bike. When I bought a road bike in the late nineties, I hadn't ridden for awhile and I was shocked at the changes road bikes went through.

For example, your gear changers are on the frame. Now for most road bicycles, they are on the brake levers - back then that was revolutionary for me, no more reaching to change gears. Plus the number of gears available, the lightness of the frame and wheels, everything quick release removable. And low maintenance. I've never had any major work done on my Cannondale and I've been through some crashes although not too serious.

If you buy clothing and equipment, check out the sales at Bike Nasbar and Performance Bike, you can save alot of money by buying when items go on sale.

I live in a big city and the most stressful part is going through traffic, especially during rush hour, to get to a park or bike trail. It is scary. Quick opening car doors, the stop sign that swings out from the school bus, running children, huge semis and suvs, potholes, dogs, other cyclists and those electric powered bicycles delivery people use because they're deceptively fast and you really can't see the motor. It is truly an obstacle course and a dangerous one.

I can tell you my most used bicycle skill is changing flats. And I don't bother with patch kits, I just buy a whole bunch of tubes and tires. Get tires on sale, you'll save alot. I usually get 4-5 flats (tube) during riding season and 1-2 tire replacements. And don't chintz on the tires, you get what you pay for.

Get the book, Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That looks like a GI golf bike, probably has a cast frame with a lot of perimeter weighting.

Originally Posted by Vladimir Puttin'

I bought a golf bike.

Here's a good solution for the better player looking for a forged "Player's Bike":

2397840090_4ed8dce7a0.jpg

Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!