IGNORED

Wilson CI9 vs TM R9 vs Callaway X-24 Hot irons

Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

thinking of upgrading to one these sets and looking for any feeback.

From all the reviews it seems like the TM and Callways are long and forgiving, but not so workable.  CI9 seems to be more workable, but maybe not as long or forgiving since it is kind of a mix between a players and Game Improvement club.  I can get all for similiar price right now, so cost isn't really a determining factor, but the Callaways do seem about $50 more.

I'm a mid handicapper (10-12ish) who doesn't really struggle with control.  Would I like more distance, sure.  One thing I found with clubs with a large offset is I tend to draw the ball too much.  Never slice my irons, like ever.  I am only interested in workability when stuck behind a tree, otherwise long and straight will do just fine :).

Any insights on the three sets?

I like the look of all these clubs.  I know some don't ilke the looks of the R9s and CI9s, but I for one think they are both attractive.

Also, I heard the standrard length of the Wilsons is like an inch longer, anyone know if that is true, cause I'm only 5'8.

Thanks

@Mike - I just pulled the trigger on a new set yesterday and went through the same sort of research you are doing.  How about A vs B vs C?  In the end, it comes down to what feels best for you.  You can search the internet til you're fingers fall off and find both wonderful and terrible reviews alike for pretty much every set.

I unfortunately don't live in an area where I can hit multiple sets outside on the range, and am limited to the GG and Dick's simulators.  So what I did first was read reviews on several sets to see if there were attributes to each that would match my game.  I looked at comments on general feel, appearance at address, offset, weight, shafts, etc.  Then I went to the shops and hit everything a few times.  For me it worked out that there were 3 that were tied for the lead.  I was able to get one set on sale and truthfully that broke the tie.

So if you want an actual list, here is what I hit (I'm a 10-12 handicap), listed in the order that I liked them: Taylormade R9, Callaway Razr X Tour, Mizuno JPX 800 Pro, Titleist AP1, Burner 2.0, Ping i15.

I'm with you, I just mainly want to hit straight with a hint of draw or fade when needed.  As a 12 consistency is more important to me, and I personally found in these test sessions that the R9s had the narrowest left-right shot dispersion and distance control.  I thought the offset was manageable, and the top line not too clunky.  Again, that's me. Decide what's most important to you - distance, left-to-right control, feel, looks - and pick the set that ranks highest in those categories.

Of that group I'd definitely go with the Wilson Staff Ci9.  If I'd run across these anywhere a year ago when I was shopping for a GI club I might have saved some money and gone with the Ci9 over my MX-200s.  I love my MX-200s, I'm just saying I also like the Ci9 a lot.

At topics like this ...... you will get replies from people defending their own choices or the advise to buy what ever you like to play best....... With neither of these you will get the answer you are looking for.....

My personal approach after buying 10 times the wrong set has matured over the years ........

First you have to make up your mind on things that are important for yourself ( not for the group you play with !!!!! ), don't ever buy a set you have to grow into ..... chances are that you will never grow in them, waste of time and money.

I would suggest, you try as many as possible, maybe visit a few shops, narrow your choices to the clubs YOU like, but formost that suit you and your current swing or level of play !!!

If the uggliest unknown brand plays best ... don't be toooooooo proud to buy these !

I would personally never have bought the Game Improvement Cobra S2, by the looks (allthough I like the looks), but if I play a round and hit 4 par 3's deadcenter near the pin, you don't hear me complaing they are not Players irons ....... after having played musscle backs and true blades, etc. I don't give a shit what other people think of my "beginners" set ........ all that counts is the score, I don't mind playing 74 while others turn in a 82 with their blades.......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by mikefjohnson

Also, I heard the standrard length of the Wilsons is like an inch longer, anyone know if that is true, cause I'm only 5'8.

Thanks

I think Wilsons are stock 1/4" longer than other major brands.

Sounds like you are really diggin the Wilson's.  Go with your gut!

-Red

Gerald hit it on the dot. buy the best possible club for you. go out and test all different irons and pick the one that fits you best. hard to find an answer on here, just opinions.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

So what set found their way into your bag?

Originally Posted by CousinDonuts

@Mike - I just pulled the trigger on a new set yesterday and went through the same sort of research you are doing.  How about A vs B vs C?  In the end, it comes down to what feels best for you.  You can search the internet til you're fingers fall off and find both wonderful and terrible reviews alike for pretty much every set.

I unfortunately don't live in an area where I can hit multiple sets outside on the range, and am limited to the GG and Dick's simulators.  So what I did first was read reviews on several sets to see if there were attributes to each that would match my game.  I looked at comments on general feel, appearance at address, offset, weight, shafts, etc.  Then I went to the shops and hit everything a few times.  For me it worked out that there were 3 that were tied for the lead.  I was able to get one set on sale and truthfully that broke the tie.

So if you want an actual list, here is what I hit (I'm a 10-12 handicap), listed in the order that I liked them: Taylormade R9, Callaway Razr X Tour, Mizuno JPX 800 Pro, Titleist AP1, Burner 2.0, Ping i15.

I'm with you, I just mainly want to hit straight with a hint of draw or fade when needed.  As a 12 consistency is more important to me, and I personally found in these test sessions that the R9s had the narrowest left-right shot dispersion and distance control.  I thought the offset was manageable, and the top line not too clunky.  Again, that's me. Decide what's most important to you - distance, left-to-right control, feel, looks - and pick the set that ranks highest in those categories.

Originally Posted by mikefjohnson

So what set found their way into your bag?

I bought the R9s.  They are being shipped as we type.  I think I mentioned that the cheaper price broke the tie (just had kids last year so convincing the wife that it was time for an equipment upgrade was hard enough!)

I have also looked at the R9's, X24's and Di9's.........of all the clubs on the market, I like the set up of these the best......just can't seem to give up my Powerbilt Air Foil irons.....when my swing is on, they are deadly.

Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!