IGNORED

Lats tensing up

Jasonbolt
Note: This thread is 4674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you guys do to warm up and stretch your back before and after rounds? Specifically the lats.

VR-S Covert
taylormade.gif Burner 3 wood
taylormade.gif 3-AW

56*
cleveland.gif CG14 60*
Laguna 2

Before a round i do dynamic stretching, that is moving the muscles to warm them up, not doing static stretching.

Mostly i like to get a full range of motion in my shoulders. So i will rotate them in big circles forwards and backwards. I will mimic a bench press motion to stretch out the chest. Then i will bring do a side punch, with my arm held out 90 degrees, punch across the chest to stretch the uppper back. Obliques you can rotate your upper torso. Gluts you can do high knees. Thighs, some light squats.

Lats are a bit tricky since they are only worked out with either Pull ups and lat pull downs. I guess the best way would bring your hands above your head and try to stretch them vertically..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I lie flat on my back and stretch them vertically,  Holding a club behind you, mid  back or lower, slowly bending over while raising the club, while technically not a lat stretch does seem to loosen them up a bit.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Before a round i do dynamic stretching, that is moving the muscles to warm them up, not doing static stretching.

Mostly i like to get a full range of motion in my shoulders. So i will rotate them in big circles forwards and backwards. I will mimic a bench press motion to stretch out the chest. Then i will bring do a side punch, with my arm held out 90 degrees, punch across the chest to stretch the uppper back. Obliques you can rotate your upper torso. Gluts you can do high knees. Thighs, some light squats.

Lats are a bit tricky since they are only worked out with either Pull ups and lat pull downs. I guess the best way would bring your hands above your head and try to stretch them vertically..

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 3 months later...

My gym is along the way between home and the course. If I'm going to play, or practice full shots, I...

• usually stop by the gym and do 10 to 12 minutes on the elliptical machine. Gets the arms and legs loosened, and warms up the body overall.
  • If I can't make gym, I jog three laps around the driving range to get warmed up.

Then, after elliptical or jog, I do some dynamic light stretching club on back, behind head, and behind back, ham-string stretches. Next comes purposeful motion exercises - shortened club swings, half punch shots to loosen up,

Then, I chip and putt and hit some full shots.

I see flexibility as a cumulative benefit of working out regularly. Deep stretching after only a light warm=up can make your muscles sore or injure them (especially if you're 60 years old like me). Also, research from Texas suggests that people who do super-flexibility exercises before hitting golf shots end up overstretching their tendons, which puts wobble in their body movements and causes them to hit wild shots in the early holes.

I do most stretching after the gym workkout, or after a round of golf. Part of "cool down."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!