IGNORED

Master Teeing Off With an Iron Thread

GlobeGuy
Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always tee it up on a par 3. I hit my irons so much better off the tee than off the of anywhere. Main reason why I hit so many greens on par-3's but hit very few GIR on par-4's and par-5's.

« Keith »

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always tee it up on a par 3. I hit my irons so much better off the tee than off the of anywhere. Main reason why I hit so many greens on par-3's but hit very few GIR on par-4's and par-5's.

I'm the complete opposite. I can't get comfortable if I don't take a divot.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I tee it about as low as possible from whatever tee is lying around the tee box. It's probably entirely mental, but I hit more GIR on par 3s than anything else, so I can't argue with the results.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I always tee it up on the par 3's. I tee it up so that the ball is just barely above the ground. I'm just getting to the point of working the ball both directions, and by teeing the ball up I feel that I am able to work the ball better. Also, I always carry a broken tee with me just in case there are none on the tee box.

From the February 01, 1965 issue of Sports Illustrated:

Use Your Head—and Use A Tee

By Jack Nicklaus

When you can have a perfect lie, why give yourself a mediocre one? This is a question I ask on the frequent occasions when I see golfers, both good ones and bad, hitting a tee shot on a par-3 hole without teeing up the ball. These players simply drop the ball on the ground and roll it around with the club head until they get what they think is a satisfactory lie. But there is a chance that the lie is not satisfactory, and it certainly is not the best lie possible. On even the most closely mowed tees, blades of grass will come between the club face and the ball if the ball is not clear of the ground. The grass reduces the backspin that the club can put on the ball, and also accents the effect of any mistakes in the swing. The most frequent result is a shot that holds its line fairly well but "sails," ending up over the green. A par-3 hole can be hard enough, without making it tougher through carelessness. What you should do is tee the ball up so that it sits above the top of the grass. The club is then free to make clean, crisp contact with the ball.

When the ball is teed up (above) the club head can get at it cleanly and the club-face grooves can impart maximum backspin. But if the ball is simply put on the ground (below) grass can get between the club head and the ball and affect the shot.
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

for me it depends on the conditon of the tee box, if they are in great shape and it is a short par 3 100 - 140 yards maybe no tee. but on a long one like 200 yarder ya more than likely will tee it up a bit. but if the ball wont sit nice then i will use a tee so it sits nice for me to spank it.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I will tee it up on a par 3 but I'll use a broken tee that's already on the tee box. A lot of people I see will place their ball on the ground, but not on a tee but why not get a perfect lie when you have a freebie?

Same here....I don't tee it up very high at all....just enough to simulate a perfect lie.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

You always want to put it on a tee...and tee it up low enough so that you can still compress the ball into the ground. This gives you the best lie possible for a shot. I dont see why you would want it any other way.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

You always want to put it on a tee...and tee it up low enough so that you can still compress the ball into the ground.

You don't really believe that you compress the ball into the ground, do you?

S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

haha no, the idea i meant to get across was that many golfers tee up their irons far too high, and end catching the balls with the top few grooves. Meant to say that you want too it up low so that you can properly compress the ball.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

I don't even tee the ball up when I hit 3 wood off the tee. I just find it easier to hit down on the ball without a tee.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Uh, I do. That was the whole point of my earlier post (1st response in this thread.) Pinching the ball between the club and the turf will give you more backspin and a different trajectory than if the ball is teed up too high. At least, that's what dozens of books, internet sites, and personal experience tells me.

Bill

i watched Arnold Palmer on tv giving out tips. he said ALWAYS tee it up when you're allowed. so i do. of course i don't tee it up very high at all, just keep the bottom of the ball barely up enough to get the blade under it, but looking at it you can hardly tell there's a tee under it.

My Blog

I always use a broken tee. If I can't find one, I break one off. I hate the feel of a full tee, even a short one, on that tee shot. I can actually feel a full tee causing some resistence on the club face. I still hit down on the ball, I don't want to tee it so high as to scoop it and add loft.

Especially those crappy plastic tees. Awful feeling

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I was watching Arnold Palmer talk about how Hogan always said to get some wood under the ball if you can so he took it to heart. If its good enough for those two maybe they were onto something.

haha, see my above post, couple up ^^^^. good stuff

My Blog

I don't use tees on a par 3 if I am using an iron. If I am using a 3-wood or 5-wood (on a par 3 or par 4) I will use a tee (broken one if I can find one) to tee the ball up just above the grass.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!