IGNORED

Talk me out of an R11, please!

Note: This thread is 4761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The advantage of R11 and other adjustable drivers is their adjustability.  If you don't feel the need to adjust  your driver round to round then a properly fit driver of another model could work just as well for a lot less coin.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by allin

The advantage of R11 and other adjustable drivers is their adjustability.  If you don't feel the need to adjust  your driver round to round then a properly fit driver of another model could work just as well for a lot less coin.

yea Im surprised other companies havent put out any adjustable drivers like taylormade and titleist. I went to a cleveland demo at the local range today hitting some of their clubs and I pulled out my R11 after awhile. The guy doing the driver fitting saw me hitting it and you could tell he knew they couldnt come close to the what the R11 can do for fitting people. He had people on the launch monitor and would give them a draw biased driver and ones that weighed different amounts, etc to fit them. Hopefully these other companies will step up with adjustable drivers.

Originally Posted by motteler621

yea Im surprised other companies havent put out any adjustable drivers like taylormade and titleist. I went to a cleveland demo at the local range today hitting some of their clubs and I pulled out my R11 after awhile. The guy doing the driver fitting saw me hitting it and you could tell he knew they couldnt come close to the what the R11 can do for fitting people. He had people on the launch monitor and would give them a draw biased driver and ones that weighed different amounts, etc to fit them. Hopefully these other companies will step up with adjustable drivers.

Maybe the people buying Cleveland drivers don't want all that stupid shit extra stuff to worry about.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Maybe the people buying Cleveland drivers don't want all that stupid shit extra stuff to worry about.

that's kinda like the guy who doesn't know how to use an iphone so he just gets the cheapest flip phone available that will only dial phone numbers

I dont even adjust mine that much. I think its nice that I can deloft or add a few degrees to my driver whenever I want though. Say its a windy day, I can deloft it etc

you can also fit yourself whenever you want. Say your swing was a little off the day of your fitting, then your stuck with a driver that might be a little off. Also your swing can change, then you will have a driver that doesn't fit anymore.

BTW-Im not an advocate of the R11 or anything, I am of adjustability in general though

Buy a G15 and put the $100 you save over the R11 toward a couple of lessons.  I see more G15s at my club than any other driver.  In my opinion - best driver every made, and available at a reasonable price.  Buddy of mine was about to pull the trigger on an R11.  I suggested he hit the G15 before he does anything on a  new driver.  Well, he bought the G15.  Good luck to you.

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

I am a Canadian PGA Professional (Life Member) and specialized for years in custom club-fitting, I have a choice as to what equipment I play and I have to say the R11 meets all expectations...lie, loft and open or closed...spend some time with it and you will love it...why lock yourself into one club with one loft, one lie and one epoxied shaft????

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Originally Posted by canadianpro

I am a Canadian PGA Professional (Life Member) and specialized for years in custom club-fitting, I have a choice as to what equipment I play and I have to say the R11 meets all expectations...lie, loft and open or closed...spend some time with it and you will love it...why lock yourself into one club with one loft, one lie and one epoxied shaft????

I gotta vote with the guy earlier who said to check out PINGs. I can hit my old G10 high, low, right to left, and left to right. All without having to make any adjustments in lie and loft angle mid-round, which would of course be against the rules anyway. What was the question?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If you get fitted for the proper driver, there is no need to buy a driver with adjustable loft, lie and shaft.  IMO, once you get fitted for your swing, you are all set.  Changing lofts and lies from one day to the next is just putting a band aid on swing flaws.  My Ping epoxied shaft feels great every time I hit it.

However, I do believe that all manufacturers will eventually offer adjustable lofts and lies just keep up from a marketing perspective.

But, I am not a PGA professional fitter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

It's already been said many times in this post but once you're fit with the correct driver, you don't really need all these adjustments.

That said, most golfers don't currently have a driver setup that optimize's their performance. Most will just walk into their local golf shop and say "I'll take this driver in a stiff shaft" and walk out the door. Then they get out on the course and wonder why the $300 they just spent doesn't help their game. It's simple, the driver doesn't fit their swing. Obviously, this isn't the way to lower scores or play better golf.

In order to maximize your driving, you need the correct launch angle, spin rates and shaft profile. Clubs like the R11 allow golfers to "tinker" with their driver in order to get the most out of their swing. That's the area where I think this driver is going to help most golfers. However, this driver is no better than any other properly fitted driver that's currently on the market.

That's my $0.02.

-Schlebrock-

Originally Posted by schlebrock

It's already been said many times in this post but once you're fit with the correct driver, you don't really need all these adjustments.

True.   But most of us are also constantly tinkering with our swing to improve, so if those changes result in a different club path or attack angle (which is likely) then being able to adjust later on will save you the cost of having to go get refit with another new driver to your new swing.   And again, and again, .......

Originally Posted by Clambake

True.   But most of us are also constantly tinkering with our swing to improve, so if those changes result in a different club path or attack angle (which is likely) then being able to adjust later on will save you the cost of having to go get refit with another new driver to your new swing.   And again, and again, .......

I agree with you Clambake.

In fact, I just ordered a R11 TP so I could make some minor adjustments for some of the reasons you just mentioned. I previously played a Ping G15 with a Matrix Ozik HD6 and it was the best driver I've ever hit. However, I'm now swinging the club just a little bit slower so the G15 doesn't quite fit me now.

That's why I want the convenience of having a driver like the R11. It allows me to make some minor adjustments without having to re-order another complete driver setup. However, I can't say that the R11 is better than the G15. It's just offers me more variables to change so I can fit it to my new swing.

-Schlebrock-

Note: This thread is 4761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!