IGNORED

My Swing (El Mucho)

El Mucho
Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,
New poster (obviously) but I have been lurking for a while, reading and trying to understand the flaws in my swing.
My issue is distance and a miss to the right. My average 7i distance from launch monitors is 130 yards and driver distance is maybe 220. I recently purchased the tour striker and my consistency has definitely improved but my distance remains the same.
Here is a video of my driver, I can upload my swing with the tour striker if needed.
Thanks for any input.
Here is a semi side view, sorry for the angle couldn't get a better one.

video is set as private.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

My first impression is that you have a very arm dominant swing.  You aren't getting your hips and legs active enough in the swing.

You have some good ideas and good positions with your swing.  I like the simpler one plane action you have.  You aren't getting your lower body forward enough into impact.

take a look at this video.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Thanks for the input. I kinda suspected my hips weren't moving enough, this is definitely something I am going to work on at the range next time.

From the side view do my hands look flippy?  I know the video quality is kind of poor it was taken on my iphone, sorry.

difficult to see on the side view--hands are a blur at impact.  But, judging from where I think the ball is and your hands are, you would have to flip the club a bit to square the clubface.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Your swing is also a little flat which could lead to some inconsistencies, as well I'd agree your using your arms way too much.  Your hips should be turning slightly before your arms move on the downswing.  If you can imagine holding your arms at the top of your swing and turning your hips without your arms moving, you should feel tension.  You want this as you start the downswing, it provides torque, power, to the swing.  But bare in mind that you don't them flying open completely.  They should turn with your arms through impact.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah sorry about the crappy video quality.

Quick question regarding the hips, I have a good visual in my mind of what I need to do, but not sure how it should feel. When I try to get more rotation in the hips should I feel a noticeable sway from back to front?

Also, would loading more of my weight on the front foot help with the feel in my hips? Right now I would say that I have my weight 50/50 split on both legs, as I am learning more about what my hips need to be doing, in my head it makes sense to put more weight forward, but I don't know if that is correct.

Tiger has had four different swings in his pro career, but the downswing always starts with a push forward with the hips.  The feeling may be a pushing off the ground or straightening your legs to push the hips forward and straighten the legs.  Tiger pushes very aggressively (good) which results in the squatting/dipping move he does (when you push against the ground your knees go from flexion to extension)

See the hips push forward in each of these four different swings.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

OK, I can definitely see how my arms are doing all the work and the hips are just kind of along for the ride, which is exactly opposite of what Ben Hogan and Tiger are doing.

Any tips or drills to get the feel of hips leading the swing? This is something entirely new for me so I want to make sure I practice it properly.

Thanks so much for all the insight.

Here's some good lessons on the hips in the golf swing

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

OK, so I spent a little time at the range working on moving my hips first. I think I made some decent progress but looking for an objective opionion.

My ball contact feels way more pure, and it feels like I generating more power in my swing.

Here is a video any feedback would be awesome (Video quality is a little sketchy, but I filmed it in high speed so there should be at least more frames this time).

Better, you are getting your hips more active in the forward swing.

During the backswing, your pelvis and hips shift backward in the direction of your rear leg.  This partly results in you overly flexed spine position at the top of the backswing.  At the top of the backswing, your spine should be extended.  The position you get in at the top of the backswing is challenging to recover from.  Try making a more centered hip turn, then fire the hips forward and then up in the downswing

Try keeping your pelvis more centered in the backswing.  You might feel as though you are trying to get your left gluteal area (left butt cheek) to sit on a bar stool that is just in front of your left hip at address.

Here's a good example of keeping your left hip forward at the top of the backswing:

Hogan-RightHIp.jpg

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Tell me if I am understanding correctly. Looking at the images of Ben Hogan, on my back swing my hip should slide forward or at least by the top of my back swing they should have slid forward and then on my downswing my hips should rotate?

Please tell me if I am way off base here.

Ben Hogan is an extreme example of keeping the hips forward in the backswing.  He actually starts moving them forward before the backswing finishes.

In your case, you shift your hips toward your rear leg in the backswing--a difficult position to then get your hips far forward at impact.

The big picture, in your case, would be to have your hips stay more centered (not shift so much to the rear leg in the backswing).  You might actually feel like your hips are moving forward (the sitting on a bar stool in front of your left hip feeling) in order to keep your hips more centered.

Yes, the initial move of the forward swing is to push the hips forward, and in your case, from a more centered position.  Then keep pushing forward and turn.  I don't see many people under turning in the forward swing, but many not pushing far enough forward.

If you look at Tiger's first swing sequence that I posted above (the 1997 sequence) he does shift his hips slightly to the rear foot, but not nearly as much as in your videos.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

I was at the range today practicing keeping my weight centered, I can definitely feel a difference in the shot when I make contact it's just really tough getting myself not to shift the weight back. It takes a few practice swings and a swing thought prior to me hitting to maintain the weight over the center. I did notice that on a few shots were I really laced the ball I lost my balance, and I was hitting a few quite fat, though I chalk the fat shots up to me not concentrating and getting really quick in my down swing.

I am going to try and get some videos of myself practicing and I will get them up asap. Thanks for the assistance. These few tips have made a huge difference in my distance and consistency.

You can still have a hip turn, doesn't need to be as big as your thinking.  But, to have that hip turn, weight should be centered, because with weight shifting back to front, the torque is reduced and releasing your hips early has less of an effect.  On the back swing, have someone hold your head in place as you swing.  This will feel tight, but it keeps everything centered, and you can feel the correct hip turn and do in normally.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by El Mucho

I was at the range today practicing keeping my weight centered, I can definitely feel a difference in the shot when I make contact it's just really tough getting myself not to shift the weight back. It takes a few practice swings and a swing thought prior to me hitting to maintain the weight over the center. I did notice that on a few shots were I really laced the ball I lost my balance, and I was hitting a few quite fat, though I chalk the fat shots up to me not concentrating and getting really quick in my down swing.

I am going to try and get some videos of myself practicing and I will get them up asap. Thanks for the assistance. These few tips have made a huge difference in my distance and consistency.

I am working on similar principles.  Your weight will shift back but don't slide the hips back.  A balanced athletic stance helps me stop a sway back.  I also consentrate on locking my rear elbow to my side.  It makes you rotate to swing and make it less of an arm swing.  If you are shifting your weight forward you will not hit the ball fat.  Check for your rear heal starting to come up at impact.

Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!