IGNORED

How many wedges do you carry?

pueblo
Note: This thread is 4770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My Nickent set has the conversation-starter 10i, and I like the progression with my wedges.

10i: 44*

PW: 48*

52*

58*

The 52 doesn't get a great deal of usage, really.  The 58 has been abused to the point of an impending replacement (I use it pretty much everywhere around the green).

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

"We" see lot of highcappers using a 58 or even 60 everywhere around the green ........ IMHO that is the best way to stay a highcapper ....... you'd better learn to roll a 7i or 8i close to the hole if you want to lower your handicap by at least 10 strokes.

Maybe a pro or lowcapper with great control, can hit a 58 in so many different ways ...... that they can rely on using the 58 exclusively ......, but at hc 25 forget it.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I use a 50*/8 and a 56*/11. I used to have a 60* and hated it; I envy those who can use one effectively.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

which wedge do you guys use the most??

I use my 58* the most since it is used for my chip shots.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I use either my gap wedge or 56 the most.  Its pretty close.  Comfortable inside 100 yards with either of them. Just depends on the lie I have.

When its breezy swing easy!!!!!

taylormade.gif Superfast 10.5
cobra.gif  3W .350 Oversize Tip
cobra.gif S9 Irons 4-GWcallaway.gif 56 Degree SW Golfmate 60 Degree callaway.gif 64 Degree odyssey.gif 3300 DF putter

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I use my 58* the most since it is used for my chip shots.

"Chip" is short for "chip AND run" ...... unless you are playing at a course with green as fast as at Augusta ...... it takes a lot of feel to hit a 58* close to the pin with a chipshot and some run ...... at best it will be 50% air, 50% roll ....... I don't say that you don't chip with your 58* (but pitch), but most golfer using a 58* for all the greenside chips are actually making pitch shots.

Chip shots are mostly like 10-25% air, rest roll ..... about dead hands (wrists).

But if we read Utley, it is more like the contact, ball first then ground he calls a chip, ground first, bounce picking up the ball he calls a pitch.......

It is all about what you call a chip or pitch ..... I guess.

But IMHO it is best to have let's say 3 clubs to use for chipshots with about 2 clubs in between ...... so something like a 7 - 9 - GW or 8 - PW - LW giving you a wide variety of around the green shots.

If I have a short shot having to go over something (like a bunker) I will play a short pitch with a 52* or 58*, but if there is lots of green to let it roll and there are no hazards in the route I prefer the low rolling shot, which is always easier more accurate than a high ball having to stop close to the hole.

The low running an rolling shot is as controlable as a long putt, so it is way easier to get it close AND there is no risk of thinning or blading it way over the green......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

well yeah, gerald. when I said chip, I meant all variety's of chips shots. flop, bump and run, etc.

but I wouldn't consider "chip" shot more of a "pitch" shot. when I think of a pitch shot I think of a little longer shot. like 25 yards off the green and you are more wristy and use the arms a bit more. it is a more vertical shot, meaning, you take the club back more at steeper angle than a chip shot. a "chip" shot.....I see it as more of a horizontal shot. so, more like a putting motion where your hands stay more parallel with the ground. I like to put my hands in front of the ball, bring the club back and swing. of course, never break the wrists. both can be a bump and run shot or a flop shot. just depends on what situation you are in.

the feet position for both shots are kinda similar for me. feet closer together, and angled towards the hole. body position is more forward, ball on the back foot. the feet is all that I think is similar between and "chip" and "pitch" shot.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

the feet position for both shots are kinda similar for me. feet closer together, and angled towards the hole. body position is more forward, ball on the back foot. the feet is all that I think is similar between and "chip" and "pitch" shot.

Yep also a lot of in between shots overhere of course ...... still I think anyone can be improve this kind of scrambling by using less checking options aswell, so try rolling a few close with a 6 or 7 iron and see if it can be a addition for your game. It is my personal experience that over seen a longer period the low rolling chips with the lower lofted club has been more accurate on these kind of shots.

Stock PW 54 and a 58.  I think any more than 2 sand wedges and your limiting your option in other clubs too much.

I can do whatever I need to with those two wedges.  Although I need something with less bounce in my higher lofted wedge.

Originally Posted by Gerald

Yep also a lot of in between shots overhere of course ...... still I think anyone can be improve this kind of scrambling by using less checking options aswell, so try rolling a few close with a 6 or 7 iron and see if it can be a addition for your game. It is my personal experience that over seen a longer period the low rolling chips with the lower lofted club has been more accurate on these kind of shots.

a lot of people I play with play like what you just described. take an 8 iron and bump and run the ball to the hole. I like a little more check on my ball. I don't know why, probably because that is how I played my short shots in the beginning. but yeah, bump and run works great to get it close. the flop shot can be difficult to judge.

48* Pitching Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge, and a 64* Flop wedge (which is only used for extremely poor conditions that I often find myself in)

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

PW, 52,56,60

However depending on the course or my needs I switch the 52 for the 64.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Originally Posted by Gerald

"We" see lot of highcappers using a 58 or even 60 everywhere around the green ........ IMHO that is the best way to stay a highcapper ....... you'd better learn to roll a 7i or 8i close to the hole if you want to lower your handicap by at least 10 strokes.

Maybe a pro or lowcapper with great control, can hit a 58 in so many different ways ...... that they can rely on using the 58 exclusively ......, but at hc 25 forget it.

Yep -- It's a matter of familiarity and confidence for me at this point.  My only daily accessible practice facility is my tiny backyard, in which I spend an hour or two tinking around practice balls with my 58* to see what sorts of different ways I can get at my target (Bucket, patch of grass, towel, whatever's handy).  My brain (reading) tells me the smart shot is a bump and run... My body (practice) tells me I don't have any idea what to do with that shot, so it ends up being the 58* that ends up in my hands.

I do recognize that's likely to end up hampering my development in the end... BUT, not having any where to practice or anyone to get lessons with is -probably- a bigger problem in the end.  At least I have a pretty mean short-sided flag over the bunker shot when that pops up once in a great while, haha.

There are lots of good video's on chipping with a 7/8/9 ...... it is easy, weight 70% on front foot, grip the club a bit shorter for accuracy, ball in the middle of stance, hands slightly before the ball (means ball first, ground second). No weight shift !!! - keep the triangle of your arms holding the club and lock the wrists as much as possible and from there it is almost like a putter stroke.

If you keep the triangle the movement is your shoulders.

What can go wrong :

• ball too much forward in stance ...... ball thinned or club hits ground and the ball is fluffed
  • ball too much backwards (from the backfoot) ...... too much back spin for a ball that needs to roll after landing
  • hands not before the ball ..... fluffed shots, bad contact, ground first, ball second
  • too much wrist action ..... too much back spin for a ball that needs to roll after landing and also the risk of a bad contact

A sound practice is putting a tee almost totally in the ground about 2 inches in front of the ball, after hitting the ball the tee should be clipped.

In time you will develop feel in the same way you develop feel on how hard to putt for different distances, including slopes.

As normally most part is roll, you should allways read the green when chipping and aim/play accordingly.

If the chip is from longer from the green, let's say 20-30 yds ...... a chip is still much more controlable than a 50% or 60% (or should it be a 52.5% or 55% or 57.5%) LW.

You understand it is very hard to control the LW (but you will remember to good ones).

On longer chips some wrist action is involved (but only in the backswing) and maybe a little bit of body rotation, butt still keep the weight on your front foot.

Chipping with an let's say 7i or 8i means "money" ...... even if you thin or blade the ball, the result is still good or at least usable ..... if you thin or blade a 50-60% LW the ball might end 20-40 yds beyond the green and you will be ready for the next LW ..... not seldom out of deep trouble.

Using several irons for chipping ........ not really needed, but I like to land the ball on the green so the first bounce is very predictable. if you land the ball just short of the green's edge it might bounce wrong or get stuck in soft grass ....... so what I normally do is keeping the about same stroke and vary with the loft ...... so if it is 1 part air and 1 part roll, I chip with a 52 (or even 58) ..... if it is 1 part air and 2 parts roll, I chip with a 9i ..... if it is 1 part air and 3 or more parts roll, I chip with a 7i ...... but I have no trouble using a 5i or even a hybrid.

I agree with anyone who likes to play a "real" golf shot, telling every body they can control this or that, I too like the nice looking soft landing high ball, but after 18 holes I rather play a 77 than a 80 !!!

I appreciate the time to give the tips, and I do understand the idea -- At present, it's just a familiarity thing.  Although, after my recent Dramatic Grip Overhaul, I've been moving on down the bag with my backyard practice routine (Everything feels so much smoother, only way I can explain the feel of largely taking my trailing hand out of the mix).  I'm all the way up to the PW, now. ;)

If I manage to get some more course time, I'll certainly try out a few more clubs around the green.

Have me stopping to consider what clubs were in my hand the most, last round.  Putter aside, of course.  58*, 7i, 6i, 3h, 3w.  Everything else, maybe a few swings in the round.  I -should- make my practice routines about getting the feel for some of THOSE clubs (7i, 6i, at least).

Note: This thread is 4770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!