IGNORED

Walking With a Pull Cart

Note: This thread is 4516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

last year, I would very rarely walk without a pull cart. When I just got a new bag...i now never use a pull cart, and have seen a improvement in my game. So if you use a pull cart, I recommend you try using without once or twice.

Any input? Experiences?

Eagles 14

910 D2 Driver 9.5*, adams.gif Speedline Hybrid Fairway 15*, adams.gif Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype 20*, wilson_staff.gif FG Forged Tour Irons 4-PW, cleveland.gif CG 11 Gap Wedge 52*, cleveland.gif CG 10 wedges 56* and 60*, odyssey.gif White Ice Rossie Putter

srixon.gif Z-Star ('11)

http://golf.about.com/cs/equipmentreviews/a/ogioshling.htm Push carts give me a lower backache for whatever reason. I prefer to carry but when its to hot and humid out a push cart is in order for me (Sun Mountain)   The carry bag is the Ogio shling strap. Getting hard to find them as they were discontinued.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

The opposite for me, carrying a bag caused lower back pain.  I went to the Clicgear 2.0, I can walk in a more natural position and push the cart and don't become as fatigued.  And probably that extra 50 lbs I'm packing around my mid-section isn't helping!!!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

The opposite for me, carrying a bag caused lower back pain.  I went to the Clicgear 2.0, I can walk in a more natural position and push the cart and don't become as fatigued.  And probably that extra 50 lbs I'm packing around my mid-section isn't helping!!!

im still a young punk. I probably should have added that to the original post!

910 D2 Driver 9.5*, adams.gif Speedline Hybrid Fairway 15*, adams.gif Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype 20*, wilson_staff.gif FG Forged Tour Irons 4-PW, cleveland.gif CG 11 Gap Wedge 52*, cleveland.gif CG 10 wedges 56* and 60*, odyssey.gif White Ice Rossie Putter

srixon.gif Z-Star ('11)

I have Lordosis of the back, caused by an anterior pelvic tilt which is caused by shortened erector spinae and hip flexors (caused by over a decade of snakeboarding daily when I was younger)

For me that causes pain when lifting or carrying something for too long so a cart is a must if I want to get through 18 holes without being laid-up for days afterward.

At the moment I have a cheap £25 Masters pull cart but when finances allow I'll be looking into a lightweight electric or a Clicgear methinks.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I love my Clicgear 3.0, can't imagine now being without it.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I used to have an Ogio Schling bag, traded it with a fellow ST member for a Ping Craz-E putter and R7 driver.  It was a great bag, but I switched to a clicgear push cart a few years ago and love it.  My back would get a little sore about the 14th or 15th hole, not some much from carrying the bag, but from putting it down and picking it up.  Now, I can play 18 holes, no problem and finish strong.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Studies show that carrying your bag costs you 2-3 strokes per round because you are more fatigued and less focused by the end of your round.  I use to carry but now use a pull cart and I found that I play a little bit better now that I use a cart.

Anything that puts less stress on your back is going to be better for your golf swing.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Being only 35 now I thought I was "too young" for a cart. Last year I started having pain in the left hip and back and ended up getting orthotics in my shoes and and that helped. However, when I carried, the pain would come back, even on 9 holes.... so it's a cart for me.... I just bough a Maxfli one last year that will be replaced with either teh Clicgear or Trekker C3.

I both carry and use a push cart for either 9- or 18-hole rounds (depending on the time of day as one my most-used courses has restrictions - don't get me started with the reason behind the stupid rule).  Anyway, I have been doing this for over one season now, and I have not seen any scoring or physical wellness changes between the two.  And, I am getting OLD...

Originally Posted by NI4NI

I both carry and use a push cart for either 9- or 18-hole rounds (depending on the time of day as one my most-used courses has restrictions - don't get me started with the reason behind the stupid rule).  Anyway, I have been doing this for over one season now, and I have not seen any scoring or physical wellness changes between the two.  And, I am getting OLD...

Maplegate? stupidist rule I've ever heard of. Drives me nuts

Originally Posted by Roblar

Just got a Clicgear 3.0.  Hoping to try it out this week (tomorrow?) if workload allows.

Funny, I much prefer a pull cart to a 3 wheel push cart with my bad back - just seems so much easier when walking up & down hills & uneven terrain...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.  I have not found one person who agrees with it; the owner makes the rules based on his view of how things should be.  This is the same place where a member playing alone had his membership suspended for playing through a foursome who asked him to play through since there was no one else on the course.

I only play there because of the insane anniversary membership I bought last season.

Quote:

Maplegate? stupidist rule I've ever heard of. Drives me nuts

Two years into the sport, and I've carried a bag every round but one.  I just bought a Clicgear 3.0, I today, I played my first round using a pushcart. ...and sigfan, I'm 39, and feel a little weird with the cart because of the age thing, but my ankle is so blown out that I even have trouble walking sometimes, so I'm just not going to worry about it ---- and I'll be 40 soon anyway - then it won't be so bad!

Anyway, I have mixed feelings.

The Clicgear rolls great and is easy to use, but I still think it is more convenient to carry.  First, there just more 'junk' now.  You have to load the bag AND the cart into the car --- the bag used to fit great across the backseat, with the cart it's a little crowded, and the the cart just has to go on top of the bag.  :(

The other way that carrying is more convenient is that it's easy to walk in a direct line to your ball.  On the course I play this is only an issue on about three hole where there are little creeklets that you can just step across when carrying, but you have to head for the bridge/cart path with a push cart.

Last, I pulled a ball into a few trees up on some manufactured 'hills' (more like 'dirt lumps', but whatever).  Uneven bumpy ground -- if I'd been carrying, I wouldn't have thought twice about walking up there with the bag, but today, I left the cart and went to look for my ball.  Turned out the ball went further than I imagined --- got through the trees, and maybe hit the downslope?, and actually went past the green (to the left).  Not only did I have the wrong club in my hand, but I had to walk back a ways to get to get the right club, and go find the ball again.

So, in sum, the push cart can lead to a bit of extra walking compared to carrying. (Of course.... if I keep it in the fairway, this won't matter so much.)

That said, I definitely felt like I had a bit more energy than usual at the end of the round.  If I wanted to load up the bag with extra goodies, I don't think I would notice in the way I would if I were carrying.

I'm looking forward to the next few rounds.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Funny, I much prefer a pull cart to a 3 wheel push cart with my bad back - just seems so much easier when walking up & down hills & uneven terrain...

I actually agree with you --- but I guess I have a long stride or something because the wheels on the pull carts I've played around with keep nailing me in the heel when I walk.   I guess I've only played around with the cheaper ones, so maybe the higher end ones are better about that?

Originally Posted by Roblar

Two years into the sport, and I've carried a bag every round but one.  I just bought a Clicgear 3.0, I today, I played my first round using a pushcart. ...and sigfan, I'm 39, and feel a little weird with the cart because of the age thing, but my ankle is so blown out that I even have trouble walking sometimes, so I'm just not going to worry about it ---- and I'll be 40 soon anyway - then it won't be so bad!

Glad I wasn't the only one that felt weird about it, but to me I would rather feel fine the next day then be sore and possibly not able to play cause I carried the clubs.....

Note: This thread is 4516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!