IGNORED

Bubba Watson - Why doesn't he win more often?

USGolfers
Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think golf fans are "Tiger-ized".  They don’t think its a good year unless you win 7 tournaments, and two majors.  I think we all were witnesses to a once in a generation stretch off domination in our sport.  Only to be rivaled by Byron Nelson's 11 consecutive tournaments in a season or Bobby Jones Stretch of Majors.  Unfortunately we have all had to come back to Earth, where 3 or 4 tournament wins is a Player of the Year.

Even as recent as the last 5 years the game has exploded globally and the disparity among the best and #125 is smaller and smaller.  For the quote of a previous poster, that Bubba is not a world class player, I believe he is the #10th best golfer in the world....Is that world-class enough?????

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Bigtank

I think golf fans are "Tiger-ized".  They don’t think its a good year unless you win 7 tournaments, and two majors.  I think we all were witnesses to a once in a generation stretch off domination in our sport.  Only to be rivaled by Byron Nelson's 11 consecutive tournaments in a season or Bobby Jones Stretch of Majors.  Unfortunately we have all had to come back to Earth, where 3 or 4 tournament wins is a Player of the Year.

Even as recent as the last 5 years the game has exploded globally and the disparity among the best and #125 is smaller and smaller.  For the quote of a previous poster, that Bubba is not a world class player, I believe he is the #10th best golfer in the world....Is that world-class enough?????

Guys have been winning in bunches as long as the PGA Tour has been around. Below is a list of the most wins in one PGA Tour season (from the internet - sorry if there are errors or omissions). They won multiple events in a season (some guys did it more than once), but to do it at Tiger's level will probably not happen again, or at least not for as many consecutive seasons.

Tiger and Vijay are there, but the list doesn't include Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino, Casper, Price, etc or Ballesteros, Faldo, Norman, Els, Montgomerie, Player etc and all their international wins.

18 Byron Nelson (1945 This season seems to have an asterix due to WWII. That was probably hard for Nelson since all you can do is beat the guys you're playing against)

13 Ben Hogan (1946)

11 Sam Snead (1950)

10 Ben Hogan (1948)

9 Paul Runyan (1933), Tiger Woods (2000), Vijay Singh, 2004

8 Horton Smith (1929), Gene Sarazen (1930), Sam Snead (1938)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Guys have been winning in bunches as long as the PGA Tour has been around. Below is a list of the most wins in one PGA Tour season (from the internet - sorry if there are errors or omissions). They won multiple events in a season (some guys did it more than once), but to do it at Tiger's level will probably not happen again, or at least not for as many consecutive seasons.

Tiger and Vijay are there, but the list doesn't include Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino, Casper, Price, etc or Ballesteros, Faldo, Norman, Els, Montgomerie, Player etc and all their international wins.

18  Byron Nelson (1945 This season seems to have an asterix due to WWII. That was probably hard for Nelson since all you can do is beat the guys you're playing against)

13  Ben Hogan (1946)

11  Sam Snead (1950)

10  Ben Hogan (1948)

9    Paul Runyan (1933), Tiger Woods (2000), Vijay Singh, 2004

8    Horton Smith (1929), Gene Sarazen (1930), Sam Snead (1938)

You left off two really big names: Arnold Palmer who won 8 PGA events in a season twice (1960 and 1962) and Johnny Miller who did it in 1974.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

You left off two really big names: Arnold Palmer who won 8 PGA events in a season twice (1960 and 1962) and Johnny Miller who did it in 1974.

I knew other guys had big win years because of how many they won in relatively short time periods, but considering the source of my information (golf site) that's why I apologized in advance. There's one stat Palmer and Nicklaus have that I was positive Tiger would surpass, and now he won't. Consecutive years with at least one victory - 17.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Any stats on how many tournaments those guys on that list all played in those years?  For example: Ben Hogan (1946) 13/18, with 18 being total tournaments played that I completely made up.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by motteler621

I guess Bubba Watson got a buzz haircut according to his twitter, might help him win more

Maybe he got tired of people meeting his wife then asking if her sister played baskeball too.

My point was not about how many Sammy or Hogan had.....but more that we will be hard pressed with the current talent to see 7 or 8, let alone 12 or 18 wins in a season again.  So when we ask about someone winning more when they are tied fir wins on the tour, seems a little silly to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtank View Post

My point was not about how many Sammy or Hogan had.....but more that we will be hard pressed with the current talent to see 7 or 8, let alone 12 or 18 wins in a season again.  So when we ask about someone winning more when they are tied fir wins on the tour, seems a little silly to me.

Sorry, I thought you were actually suggesting that only Byron Nelson's asterix season (1945) and Bobby Jones' "majors" record could compare with Tiger multiple win seasons.

Quote:
I think golf fans are "Tiger-ized".  They don’t think its a good year unless you win 7 tournaments, and two majors.  I think we all were witnesses to a once in a generation stretch off domination in our sport.  Only to be rivaled by Byron Nelson's 11 consecutive tournaments in a season or Bobby Jones Stretch of Majors.

Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!