IGNORED

Bubba says Tiger is going the "wrong way"

SpacklersEdge
Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

yo hennie crogan, relax. it's free speech. and obtw, who's won more recently...tiger or bubba....who's swing isn't his reason for loosing...whoopdie do i get it tiger's basically jesus to you and he walks on water but lets face it, he's got more demons than the amityville house. until his swing is back to even close to what it used to be, he's still tiger woods just...post god. he's broken right now and has been for awhile. let bubba say what he wants, he knows what he said and he knows he'll get backlash. bennie the sooner you, the media and anyone else out there realizes that RIGHT NOW tiger is a top 20 at best winner on the tour right now in any given tournament, while many if not most others are playing better golf than the major winning, fear inducing, intimidating, lady-tappin, give it all on a broken leg, tiger of old.

Actually I see him as just a man who plays golf for a living, and nothing more than that.  He's perhaps the best to ever play the game, but that point is certainly debatable. For me, I like to see Jack Nicklaus as the best to have ever played the game, though I have enormous respect for all that Ben Hogan accomplished during his career, especially when you consider what he went thru physically and how his career might have been shortened by the injuries he suffered from his accident.

As for right now, there's no question that Tiger, when focused, is a top ten player and often a top 5 player in the bigger events like the majors. He's shown flashes of brilliance and flashes of being seemingly lost regarding his golf swing. The inconsistency is what is new for him as a player and I'm sure very frustrating to him. Will he rise to the top again? I have no idea. But I sure do enjoy watching him play as he provides plenty of excitement when he does.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Maybe you should spend more time on your game and not criticizing Bubba since you clearly have no idea what Bubba is talking about.  Unless of course you are on the tour and have more victories than Bubba...

When did this become about me? Bubba Watson made a public statement. He's a public figure. He made the choice, unprompted, to speak out on HIS opinion of Tiger Woods' swing issues. His choice. I'm free to offer my opinion, the same as Bubba is free to do so. As it happens, Bubba Watson has not gone thru what Tiger Woods has regarding numerous swing changes, wins in majors both pre and post-swing changes, and therefore really isn't qualified to speak on the matter. May he speak out of ignorance? Of course; which is what he did. That's HIS problem, not mine. Perhaps if he had taken a breath beforehand, thought about what he'd like to say, he'd go in a different direction next time. Who knows? Bottom line is Bubba put it out there for all to hear. Let him live with it.

Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

That's HIS problem, not mine.

This is the part that I don't get...why is it a problem at all?  IMO, it's not a problem, all it is really is fodder for thread that is 74 posts too long!  It's just Bubba...lol.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

This is the part that I don't get...why is it a problem at all?  IMO, it's not a problem, all it is really is fodder for thread that is 74 posts too long!  It's just Bubba...lol.

Yep, it's just Bubba Watson. All 3 of his wins, v. 71 wins. No majors v. 14 majors. Yep, it's Bubba alright. LoL

Yep, it's just Bubba Watson. All 3 of his wins, v. 71 wins. No majors v. 14 majors. Yep, it's Bubba alright. LoL

Exactly...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

When did this become about me? Bubba Watson made a public statement. He's a public figure. He made the choice, unprompted, to speak out on HIS opinion of Tiger Woods' swing issues. His choice. I'm free to offer my opinion, the same as Bubba is free to do so. As it happens, Bubba Watson has not gone thru what Tiger Woods has regarding numerous swing changes, wins in majors both pre and post-swing changes, and therefore really isn't qualified to speak on the matter. May he speak out of ignorance? Of course; which is what he did. That's HIS problem, not mine. Perhaps if he had taken a breath beforehand, thought about what he'd like to say, he'd go in a different direction next time. Who knows? Bottom line is Bubba put it out there for all to hear. Let him live with it.

How can you criticize Bubba for doing the exact same thing you are doing?

• Upvote 1

Bubba's comments were interesting because they help to divide the entire world of golf into two camps: artists and analysts.  But the truth is we all have a left brain and a right brain, we all can calculate as well as create, and I think it's fair to embrace all of it, from 25 handicappers reviewing video of their swing at 300 frames per second on a Casio EX-F1 or for a tour pro to brag that he never practices and has no swing thoughts other than to hit a 40 yard fade over water into a trap, then hit a 220 yard shot from that trap onto the green to win the tournament.

Bubba is the musician who plays by ear.  Why would someone who reads sheet music have to listen to the ear player tell them to stop reading music?  But there's also truth in the fact that the classical player would benefit from sometimes abandoning the music altogether and improvising.

I'm glad to see these issues being discussed- my overall impression is that Bubba is trying to force his worldview of 'just play golf' onto Tiger and the rest of us who like to be coached, to analyze swings on video, and actually become aware of how we can improve.  "just go out and play golf" is what most 20 handicappers are already doing right now!  Oh and when TW was winning, I didn't see him as just out playing golf.  He had the look of an assasin from Thursday to Sunday and was executing whatever technique he had been working on for the years prior.

Originally Posted by golfprogress

Bubba's comments were interesting because they help to divide the entire world of golf into two camps: artists and analysts. . .

The entire world? Really? If I polled all 200 casual golfers I know for their thoughts on Bubba's recent comments, I'd be surprised if more than 10 people had any idea what I was talking about. I suspect a higher number don't even know who Bubba Watson is in the first place.  Are you the guy who claimed that > 1 billion people watch the Super Bowl every year?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

The entire world? Really? If I polled all 200 casual golfers I know for their thoughts on Bubba's recent comments, I'd be surprised if more than 10 people had any idea what I was talking about. I suspect a higher number don't even know who Bubba Watson is in the first place.  Are you the guy who claimed that > 1 billion people watch the Super Bowl every year?

Don't take things so literally and no that wasn't me, I'm new here.  I never said the whole world of golf heard his comments just that peoplein the golf world tend to fall into one of two camps, they either like to analyze and get into the mechanics or they think more like Bubba and just hit it and find it.

Originally Posted by golfprogress

Don't take things so literally and no that wasn't me, I'm new here.  I never said the whole world of golf heard his comments just that peoplein the golf world tend to fall into one of two camps, they either like to analyze and get into the mechanics or they think more like Bubba and just hit it and find it.

Speaking of taking things literally. I was pretty sure you aren't the person providing the Nielsen Ratings.

I was being literal, but you specifically said Bubba's comments helped divide the entire world of golf into two camps. Maybe I just disagree that all golfers fall completely into either of two camps. I play by feel (or what in interpret as feel), typically shun instruction if there's a risk of over-analysis, and yet like data and the science behind it all.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The entire world? Really? If I polled all 200 casual golfers I know for their thoughts on Bubba's recent comments, I'd be surprised if more than 10 people had any idea what I was talking about. I suspect a higher number don't even know who Bubba Watson is in the first place.  A

You know 200 casual golfers?

Funny thing is that some people called him Watson in this thread and I had to remind myself that it was Bubba.

...typically shun instruction if there's a risk of over-analysis, and yet like data and the science behind it all.

I am with you on this one...it doesn't take much for me to over-analyze so sometimes it is best to avoid it. I think that is why I like Bubba's approach. I don't even know if he thinks at all.  Golf in its simplest form.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

You know 200 casual golfers?

Well, I don't know them well enough to call them on a Saturday morning to help move a fridge.

LOL......what a great quote here by Bubba....what a breath of fresh air he is....and evidence he very much cares about what Tiger thinks....just great stuff.

"I haven’t talked to him [Tiger] yet so I just talked to his agent,” Watson said Tuesday at TPC Sawgrass. “I talked to another person in his camp last week and told them that I didn’t say anything wrong. I just said my opinion.

“The camp says I’m OK, but I haven’t talked to the boss yet.”

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Maybe I just disagree that all golfers fall completely into either of two camps. I play by feel (or what in interpret as feel), typically shun instruction if there's a risk of over-analysis, and yet like data and the science behind it all.

How do you know when there is risk of over-analysis with instruction? If you were stuck as a midhandicapper for 15 years do you think video analysis is a useful tool?

Originally Posted by BallStriker

“The camp says I’m OK, but I haven’t talked to the boss yet.”

Hah, it's like he's going to the principal's office.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

As soon as the media stops treating him like he's Miley Cyrus he will start playing better. I can't imagine how much pressure the guy is under with thousands critiquing his every move from the swing to what drink he orders. I'm sorry but I feel bad for the guy.

lol

if the media is the reason why he can't play good golf anymore then maybe he should retire

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

Foley and Tiger was asked about it.

Foley said

He has the right to his own opinion but you probably shouldn’t make comments about a guy who has won 69 more times than you and you are virtually the same age. You know what I mean.

I wouldn’t say angry. I would just say, bud, you won three times the last 10 months, I am really pleased for you. You have worked hard and I think it is a great thing that you are playing so well. But why do you feel the need that you have to get the attention? What’s the use in making that comment?

Let the guy do what he’s doing and you do what you’re doing and it will be fine. There is absolutely zero need for him to make that comment. But you know, Bubba loves the camera anyway so, I mean, whatever.

Q: I know you and Bubba are friends. I was curious about your reaction to what he said last week about you going in the wrong direction.
TIGER WOODS: That was interesting.

Q: He said this morning that you guys haven't had a chance to talk.
TIGER WOODS: Not yet.

Q: Do you have an issue with it?
TIGER WOODS: We'll talk.

Q: Have you ever told him he needed a teacher?
TIGER WOODS: To each his own. Lee Trevino didn't have a teacher ever. One of the best ball strikers that ever lived, he was in the top two or three of all time, and he never once had a teacher. So it can be done.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!