IGNORED

Bubba says Tiger is going the "wrong way"

SpacklersEdge
Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well Tiger's going the wrong way today

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Watson gets blasted for commenting about Woods, because he hasn't won as many tournaments.  Fair enough.  But then Foley is asked his opinion, and he has never won anything, anywhere, anyhow!  Why should he even be allowed to comment? He is nowhere near the golfer Watson is.

See how silly the whole thing is? If opinions can only be offered by people who have a better golf record than Woods, then I guess Nicklaus is the only person to talk to.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Foley and Tiger was asked about it.

Q: I know you and Bubba are friends. I was curious about your reaction to what he said last week about you going in the wrong direction.

TIGER WOODS: That was interesting.

Q: He said this morning that you guys haven't had a chance to talk.

TIGER WOODS: Not yet.

Q: Do you have an issue with it?

TIGER WOODS: We'll talk.

Q: Have you ever told him he needed a teacher?

TIGER WOODS: To each his own. Lee Trevino didn't have a teacher ever. One of the best ball strikers that ever lived, he was in the top two or three of all time, and he never once had a teacher. So it can be done.

I don't believe that. There were a lot of one-off informal lessons given to top players in the 70s and 80s by top instructors.

In general "self-taught" players may be defined as not having started from zero with formal lessons, or submitting themselves to a swing rebuild under the tutelage of an instructor, but I seriously doubt that any top player got there without some guidance. Whether that was another touring professional acting as a mentor or an instructor giving a 5 minute tip session before a big tournament.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The point being is that Trevino and some of the others referred to didn't have the swing coach mentality that so many have today. Sure some knowledge was passed down in the form of tips and informal lessons but a lot was earned in the dirt.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

The point being is that Trevino and some of the others referred to didn't have the swing coach mentality that so many have today. Sure some knowledge was passed down in the form of tips and informal lessons but a lot was earned in the dirt.

I see that now when I reread Tiger's comment. Trevino may have received tips, or occasional instruction, or just simply watched Ben Hogan on the driving range, but it would be wrong for me to suggest he had a formal teacher.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Watson gets blasted for commenting about Woods, because he hasn't won as many tournaments.  Fair enough.  But then Foley is asked his opinion, and he has never won anything, anywhere, anyhow!  Why should he even be allowed to comment? He is nowhere near the golfer Watson is.

See how silly the whole thing is? If opinions can only be offered by people who have a better golf record than Woods, then I guess Nicklaus is the only person to talk to.

It's not about having an opinion, but rather having an INFORMED opinion.  This morning Brandel Chamblee has spent his time blasting Woods for everything from his swing technique, to his attitude, to how he needs to show more respect to the press.

Even John Feinstein, a guy who hates Tiger, gave him credit by saying he felt that Tiger tried to "do the right thing" by showing up to play this week even though he, Feinstein, really believes that he shouldn't have played and instead should have rested his knee and achilles injuries.

This is part of what's happened with media coverage overall. Right now Chamblee is now critiquing the swing techique of Anthony Kim as he's hitting balls on the range. When in the WORLD did Brandel Chamblee become a PGA professional (meaning instructor)?  I didn't get that memo. I'm wondering who HIS students are.

And I used to like the guy but his attitude towards Tiger the last 18 months has really disappointed me. He really needs to let it go. Earlier he even stated that this might be the last we see of Tiger Woods or at least very soon we could see him walk away from the tour.

Geez!!!

Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

It's not about having an opinion, but rather having an INFORMED opinion.  This morning Brandel Chamblee has spent his time blasting Woods for everything from his swing technique, to his attitude, to how he needs to show more respect to the press.

Even John Feinstein, a guy who hates Tiger, gave him credit by saying he felt that Tiger tried to "do the right thing" by showing up to play this week even though he, Feinstein, really believes that he shouldn't have played and instead should have rested his knee and achilles injuries.

This is part of what's happened with media coverage overall. Right now Chamblee is now critiquing the swing techique of Anthony Kim as he's hitting balls on the range. When in the WORLD did Brandel Chamblee become a PGA professional (meaning instructor)?  I didn't get that memo. I'm wondering who HIS students are.

And I used to like the guy but his attitude towards Tiger the last 18 months has really disappointed me. He really needs to let it go. Earlier he even stated that this might be the last we see of Tiger Woods or at least very soon we could see him walk away from the tour.

Geez!!!

I commented on this in another thread, so I will be brief here.  Chamblee is hired by the Golf Channel to provide commentary on the Tour.  In that regard, I find his candor to be refreshing, whether I agree with everything he says or not.  I would imagine in his career of watching thousands of tour swings, and in talking to hundreds of golf professionals, he probably knows a little bit about different swing techniques.

And after today's withdrawal at the Players, don't you have just a tiny bit of doubt that perhaps Tiger's playing days are limited?  Serious injuries, mental demons, balky putting/chipping - Just one of these things have sidelined many a great golfer in the past.  How about having all three?

• Upvote 1

I commented on this in another thread, so I will be brief here.  Chamblee is hired by the Golf Channel to provide commentary on the Tour.  In that regard, I find his candor to be refreshing, whether I agree with everything he says or not.  I would imagine in his career of watching thousands of tour swings, and in talking to hundreds of golf professionals, he probably knows a little bit about different swing techniques.

I have to agree to your point about Chamblee.  I don't always agree with him either, but I do like his candor.  Plus he is a member of the SandTrap!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

And after today's withdrawal at the Players, don't you have just a tiny bit of doubt that perhaps Tiger's playing days are limited?  Serious injuries, mental demons, balky putting/chipping - Just one of these things have sidelined many a great golfer in the past.  How about having all three?

Absolutely I think Tiger's days are now numbered. I don't think there's any question about that. And I give Chamblee credit for having the courage to speak his mind. It doesn't make him right or righteous. It made him sound small and petty when he went after Tiger the way he did this morning. John Feinstein, another noted hater of Tiger, at least gave Tiger credit for showing up to play even when HE thought Tiger wasn't physically ready to play. So I give him credit for that bit of honesty. But now the vultures are circling and are anxiously awaiting the obituary of Tiger Woods' career. They will then rejoice as they will know that for the foreseeable future that Nicklaus' record of 18 majors is safe as even they know there is NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE on the horizon who has shown the kind of talent that Tiger once had.

So haters rejoice for your time is at hand!!! Get out your red Nike Polos, black pants, and TW hats and prepare them for the biggest bonfire of your lives. Continue to live your lives vicariously thru the likes of Phil Mickelson, Steve Stricker, etc. for the game has been saved. LoL

Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!