IGNORED

Looking at Irons, Tried Adams CB2, Nike VR, Ping I15, Mizuno JPX 800 , JPX 800 Pro, Titilest AP2

Note: This thread is 4697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I only went out once so far and it was interesting.

My handicap is trending down at this point and my ball striking is improving quite a bit.

I currently play Callaway X-18's, they were not fitted.  I am replacing them for no good reason other then I have some mad money and I want fitted irons.

I liked the Adams CB2's the best on the one day I demo'd clubs.

I kind of liked the I15's but they were very dead, every shot felt great even if you miss hit it.  Very odd.

I did not like the sound of the Mizuno's.  They were both very "clicky" like I was hitting rocks.  I went in expecting to like them and was surprised that I did not.

I did not like the AP2's much either.  Coming from clubs with offset I think little or no offset was a big change.

I found it interesting that ping has no club between the I15 and a blade, S56.  I also was not fond of the look of the I15 Ping.

I am going to go back again and revisit all the clubs and try some Taylormade's also.

I hate the looks of the Callaway Razors, I am not sure what they were thinking.

Any suggestions on something else to try?

Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthecup

I only went out once so far and it was interesting.

My handicap is trending down at this point and my ball striking is improving quite a bit.

I currently play Callaway X-18's, they were not fitted.  I am replacing them for no good reason other then I have some mad money and I want fitted irons.

I liked the Adams CB2's the best on the one day I demo'd clubs.

I kind of liked the I15's but they were very dead, every shot felt great even if you miss hit it.  Very odd.

I did not like the sound of the Mizuno's.  They were both very "clicky" like I was hitting rocks.  I went in expecting to like them and was surprised that I did not.

I did not like the AP2's much either.  Coming from clubs with offset I think little or no offset was a big change.

I found it interesting that ping has no club between the I15 and a blade, S56.  I also was not fond of the look of the I15 Ping.

I am going to go back again and revisit all the clubs and try some Taylormade's also.

I hate the looks of the Callaway Razors, I am not sure what they were thinking.

Any suggestions on something else to try?

Thanks

Actually, they do....the Ping Anser.

They have a super-game improvement set in the K15's, a game improvement set in the G15's, a competition set in the i15's, a competition set in the Anser's and a tour set in the S56's.

I'm not sure why you think they need any additional models?

Originally Posted by schlebrock

Actually, they do....the Ping Anser.

They have a super-game improvement set in the K15's, a game improvement set in the G15's, a competition set in the i15's, a competition set in the Anser's and a tour set in the S56's.

I'm not sure why you think they need any additional models?

I did not try the Anser, I was told they are a blade and I was quoted $1350!!!

I guess my observation is that the I15 lacks a little to much feel for my taste.  I like their engineering but I prefer a bit more feel.  I want the ball to fly as well as it can with a miss hit but I want to know it was a toe shot or whatever the case was.

When I went to dicks the other day I swung some Cleveland Irons and I really liked them. I think Cleveland has done a great Job making some Irons that have a lot of the things people like about blades without giving up the feel of a cavity back completely.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

When I went to dicks the other day I swung some Cleveland Irons and I really liked them. I think Cleveland has done a great Job making some Irons that have a lot of the things people like about blades without giving up the feel of a cavity back completely.

Thanks I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by dhanson

during my demoing, the AP2's and Burner 2.0's were immediately at the top of my list. two great sets of irons.

The AP2 was my buddies fitted club.  Maybe that was the problem I will revisit them also.

I have the Adams CB2's. They are by far the best club I have EVER owned!!! I absolutely love them! The feeling off the face of those forged irons is incredible. It might just be in my head, but it really feels like you can feel the ball compress on & off the face. Spin is great. Distance is great! You wont be disappointed. These irons give you a lot of rom to grow in to them as well. I was like you when I started playing with these irons. Somewhere around a 19 handicap. Im now at a 15 and dropping, and ive only owned them for a few months.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

inthecup,

I recently went to a large demo day that featured every major company. I had been wanting a new set of irons since I knew my swing had changed as had my iron specs, since I had been taking lessons for the past few months and practicing daily. I tried the Cleveland CG-16 black pearl irons, Cobra S-3, Callaway Razr and Razr X-tour, and Diablo Forged, Taylormade Burner 2.0, Titleist AP-1, Ping G-15 and i-15, Adams CB-2, and the Mizuno MX-1000, JPX-800, and JPX-800 pro. My requirement that I had set for myself on what I wanted in my new iron set were: great feel on impact and great sound, good looks that inspire confidance, forgiving and have several shaft options to chose from to match "me". I'll give ya a little break down of what "I" thought of the following irons. Disclaimer: the opinions are mine alone and I realize that some of the irons that I did not like are some of the best selling irons.

Adams: CB-2 black pearl irons,..... great looks and good feel,.... but just didnt make me say wow.

Callaway: Razr just didnt suit my eye and the Razr X-tour just didnt have the feel that I wanted even though it looked a lil better than the Razr

Diablo Forged - wow,... felt wonderful, they looked good and sounded good and were forgiving as well. unfortunately the Callaway rep was less than helpful about shaft options.

I wasnt crazy about the uniflex shafts. I figured if I was spending over $1,000 on a set of irons I could have gotten a little more attention from the rep about different shaft options.

Cleveland : CG-16 black pearl irons they looked great and felt and sounded just OK to me.

Ping : G-15 and i-15,.... as much as I tried to keep and open mind neither of the Pings got me excited.

Taylormade : Burner 2.0 they look pretty good but they are definately built for distance, but then again if you jack up the length and loft of a six iron to the usual specs of a five iron is it really

a six iron anymore just because it has a six stamped on it?

Mizuno :  MX-1000 they were very very easy to hit but man they sure didnt appeal to my eye.

JPX-800 they were easy to hit, looked good and were forgiving but just didnt quite have the sound and feel that I was looking for.

JPX-800pro They looked great, had that wonderful soft feel and sweet sound when struck well, and were pretty forgiving. They were forgiving just enough that you would be barked

at instead of bitten on a less than perfect swing.

Titleist:    AP-1 they were nice but just werent the total package for me.

In the end the Mizuno guys tried many shaft options and fit the clubs just for me and my swing so I wound up with the JPX-800pro, and I love them more and more each day. The Callaway Diablo Forged irons were a great looking iron that also felt wonderful but the rep was less than helpful, so in all fairness to the club it was a very close second place to the JPX-800pro. Matter of fact if the Callaway rep had been as helpful as the Mizuno guys were I "might" have chosen them instead. But overall, I couldnt be any happier.

Here is my suggestion: There are several different manufacturers that are making a game improvement forged iron now. You ought to take a look at some of the different ones out there.

Good luck and hope you find a set that makes you fall in love with them

Not to be biased, but try the Wilson Staff Ci9s

Forgiving enough. but still a thin top line and a great over all look and feel

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Not to be biased, but try the Wilson Staff Ci9s

Forgiving enough. but still a thin top line and a great over all look and feel

I looked locally for these and they are not available.  They also have a 44 degree PW.  That is strong.  I'd like to hit them if I can find them.

Originally Posted by Shaggy

inthecup,

I recently went to a large demo day that featured every major company. I had been wanting a new set of irons since I knew my swing had changed as had my iron specs, since I had been taking lessons for the past few months and practicing daily. I tried the Cleveland CG-16 black pearl irons, Cobra S-3, Callaway Razr and Razr X-tour, and Diablo Forged, Taylormade Burner 2.0, Titleist AP-1, Ping G-15 and i-15, Adams CB-2, and the Mizuno MX-1000, JPX-800, and JPX-800 pro. My requirement that I had set for myself on what I wanted in my new iron set were: great feel on impact and great sound, good looks that inspire confidance, forgiving and have several shaft options to chose from to match "me". I'll give ya a little break down of what "I" thought of the following irons. Disclaimer: the opinions are mine alone and I realize that some of the irons that I did not like are some of the best selling irons.

Adams: CB-2 black pearl irons,..... great looks and good feel,.... but just didnt make me say wow.

Callaway: Razr just didnt suit my eye and the Razr X-tour just didnt have the feel that I wanted even though it looked a lil better than the Razr

Diablo Forged - wow,... felt wonderful, they looked good and sounded good and were forgiving as well. unfortunately the Callaway rep was less than helpful about shaft options.

I wasnt crazy about the uniflex shafts. I figured if I was spending over $1,000 on a set of irons I could have gotten a little more attention from the rep about different shaft options.

Cleveland : CG-16 black pearl irons they looked great and felt and sounded just OK to me.

Ping : G-15 and i-15,.... as much as I tried to keep and open mind neither of the Pings got me excited.

Taylormade : Burner 2.0 they look pretty good but they are definately built for distance, but then again if you jack up the length and loft of a six iron to the usual specs of a five iron is it really

a six iron anymore just because it has a six stamped on it?

Mizuno :  MX-1000 they were very very easy to hit but man they sure didnt appeal to my eye.

JPX-800 they were easy to hit, looked good and were forgiving but just didnt quite have the sound and feel that I was looking for.

JPX-800pro They looked great, had that wonderful soft feel and sweet sound when struck well, and were pretty forgiving. They were forgiving just enough that you would be barked

at instead of bitten on a less than perfect swing.

Titleist:    AP-1 they were nice but just werent the total package for me.

In the end the Mizuno guys tried many shaft options and fit the clubs just for me and my swing so I wound up with the JPX-800pro, and I love them more and more each day. The Callaway Diablo Forged irons were a great looking iron that also felt wonderful but the rep was less than helpful, so in all fairness to the club it was a very close second place to the JPX-800pro. Matter of fact if the Callaway rep had been as helpful as the Mizuno guys were I "might" have chosen them instead. But overall, I couldnt be any happier.

Here is my suggestion: There are several different manufacturers that are making a game improvement forged iron now. You ought to take a look at some of the different ones out there.

Good luck and hope you find a set that makes you fall in love with them

I'll revisit the Mizuno's

I love my Yonex VMS - http://www.yonex.co.uk/golf/Product.aspx?ProdID=895. I'd definitely suggest giving them a go if you can find somewhere that does them.

For me they look awesome, they're light and balanced and they feel really smooth at impact.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I love my Yonex VMS - http://www.yonex.co.uk/golf/Product.aspx?ProdID=895. I'd definitely suggest giving them a go if you can find somewhere that does them.

For me they look awesome, they're light and balanced and they feel really smooth at impact.

Not available here.

Not available here.

Weird. They're listed on the Yonex US website but with no details:

http://www.yonexusa.com/displaysubcat.cfm?subcatid=20

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Weird. They're listed on the Yonex US website but with no details:

http://www.yonexusa.com/displaysubcat.cfm?subcatid=20

I checked the two largest retailers in my area.  They do not carry Yonex clubs.  I would want to be at a place where I could demo many clubs at the same time.

I checked the two largest retailers in my area.  They do not carry Yonex clubs.  I would want to be at a place where I could demo many clubs at the same time.

Yeah absolutely. May just be that the Yonex US website's wrong anyway. :(

SWING DNA

Note: This thread is 4697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!