IGNORED

soft insert putters vs full metal/steel faced putters whats better what do you play and why?

Note: This thread is 4714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok ive got a traditional style white hot tour xg putter with a very very soft face.  I love the putter BUT anything further than about 15 feet its very difficult to judge putts, anything inside that it is perfect. I think this is because you dont get much more if any more feedback with anything longer than 15 feet because its that soft.  I have an older white hot 2 ball blade which is brilliant from 15 feet + i've hold loads of monsters with it, I think this is because of the harder steel insert and the fact that it makes a noise which you can hear. So i think because of that there is more feedback.  However inside 15 feet im not as good with the two ball one but i think thats just because of the 2 balls on it which I dont like.  So really id love the best of both worlds a shape similar to my white hot tour with the noise and feedback off my two ball putter.

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

My first putter was a soft-faced cheap mallet putter and I hated it. The weight was weird, the insert visually bent if prodded with a finger, it hit the ball with a horrible *clack* sound.

As soon as I had the cash I decided to chuck it in for a decent metal faced putter, however while trying putters out I fell in love with the Ping Anser iWi putter which is an insert putter too, albeit a fantastic one.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by mlf16507

http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-clubs/putters-chippers/inazone-xc-7-putter.html

Why the link to a knockoff putter?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not a fan of insert putters, I much prefer a milled putter, like a Scotty Cameron or a Ping Redwood.  For me, I think the insert takes away the feel of the putter, so much of my putting is about feel.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Ask a club maker what "feel" is and they will tell you it is mostly sound if you make a good strike. Some people think Insert putters sound dead so they have no feel.

Honestly the best putter is the one that you make the most putts with weather it is milled, insert, or made out of legos in your basement.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

... or made out of legos in your basement.

Genius! I need a Lego putter...

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

Ask a club maker what "feel" is and they will tell you it is mostly sound if you make a good strike. Some people think Insert putters sound dead so they have no feel.

Honestly the best putter is the one that you make the most putts with weather it is milled, insert, or made out of legos in your basement.

That's why I don't like a soft ball around the greens (not Pro V1 bashing here - I felt the same way about WS FG-Tours). It feels like putting with a range ball.

I love my Odyssey because it's money, but as far as feel goes, I prefer my old Sportsman or Cleveland.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I use a WH #1. Average between 28-32 per round. Been in the bag for 3-4 years now and don't see it coming out anytime soon. I know a lot of people hate inserts but it works for me.

Originally Posted by 1par2win

I use a WH #1. Average between 28-32 per round. Been in the bag for 3-4 years now and don't see it coming out anytime soon. I know a lot of people hate inserts but it works for me.

As you said, it's all preference.

I've had numerous putters in the bag over the last few years.  Some insert putters (odyssey XG and white steel, TM Rossa), some milled steel (SC Newport), and my current putter which is technically an aluminum face with a soft insert behind it.  All good putters, just different feel (sound).

The right putter is whichever gives you the most confidence in distance and direction.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Note: This thread is 4714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!