Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
newtogolf

Ben Hogan Irons

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 posts / 1882 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Since my current instructor references Hogan often during my lessons I've spent a lot of time reading about him.  I also thought it would be cool to own a set of his clubs and was considering the Apex Plus, Apex Edge Pro and Edge C-F-T.

Does anyone have experience with any of these sets of suggestion on which ones would be best.   I know they are forged and some are more forgiving than others.  I'm not looking to play them every day, but would like to reach a point in my game where I can play them reasonably well and appreciate their quality and construction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since it sounds like your interest in Hogan clubs is heavily driven by nostalgia and respect for the man, I'd suggest seeking out vintage clubs from before around 1963 or so.      Hogan sold his golf company to AMF in 1960 but stayed on a few more years as chairman, and under Hogan's reign he took great pride in trying to build the best clubs possible.    Once he left, the company really just churned out clubs that didn't bear much relationship to what Hogan stood for except for his name engraved on the back.

The Edge and variations were nice clubs in their own way, but again were just normal clubs built by Cosmo, Spalding, or eventually Callaway (the succession of owners).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Clambake.  I didn't realize that prior to Callaway that Spalding, and AMF produced the clubs for him.  I found his old websites and it appeared that he was still very involved with the production of the clubs up until Callaway acquired them.  I was under the impression that he developed the Apex Shaft and original Apex irons.  I guess I'll look for pre-1963 clubs for display and nostalgia purposes, but don't see much benefit from buying Edge irons to play over any other forged irons.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Since it sounds like your interest in Hogan clubs is heavily driven by nostalgia and respect for the man, I'd suggest seeking out vintage clubs from before around 1963 or so.      Hogan sold his golf company to AMF in 1960 but stayed on a few more years as chairman, and under Hogan's reign he took great pride in trying to build the best clubs possible.    Once he left, the company really just churned out clubs that didn't bear much relationship to what Hogan stood for except for his name engraved on the back.

The Edge and variations were nice clubs in their own way, but again were just normal clubs built by Cosmo, Spalding, or eventually Callaway (the succession of owners).



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From time to time I've considered picking up some vintage clubs like you're talking about and go play for nostalgic feelings.    When I was in college I was given an old set of Hogan blades, and now really wish I'd understood their history and potential value and kept them.     I think it would be fun every once in awhile to stroll down the fairway carrying an old canvas or leather Sunday bag, vintage blades lightly clanking against each other, and pulling out a persimmon wood on the tee and hearing its satisfying "thwack" when well struck (and when "hitting it on the screws" meant hitting it on the actual screws!).

I wouldn't want to play that way all the time, but to me its kind of like having an old British sports car like an old Morgan.    Any modern car could likely kick its tail from a performance perspective, but sometimes it is just satisfying to go motoring like 50 years ago.

Hmmm, you're post may be getting me inspired again to go vintage club prowling......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Golf has a rich history, I have really enjoyed reading about Hogan, and some of the older golfers like Bobby Jones, Penick, Vardon etc.  I officially became addicted to the sport today, I had my first par and birdie and despite it being 95* and humid I just wanted to go to the range to get better so I can do things like try to play vintage blades as you describe and not look like a total fool while doing it.

Glad you're not a lefty, so we won't be bidding on the same items ; )

Originally Posted by Clambake

From time to time I've considered picking up some vintage clubs like you're talking about and go play for nostalgic feelings.    When I was in college I was given an old set of Hogan blades, and now really wish I'd understood their history and potential value and kept them.     I think it would be fun every once in awhile to stroll down the fairway carrying an old canvas or leather Sunday bag, vintage blades lightly clanking against each other, and pulling out a persimmon wood on the tee and hearing its satisfying "thwack" when well struck (and when "hitting it on the screws" meant hitting it on the actual screws!).

I wouldn't want to play that way all the time, but to me its kind of like having an old British sports car like an old Morgan.    Any modern car could likely kick its tail from a performance perspective, but sometimes it is just satisfying to go motoring like 50 years ago.

Hmmm, you're post may be getting me inspired again to go vintage club prowling......



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by newtogolf

Golf has a rich history, I have really enjoyed reading about Hogan, and some of the older golfers like Bobby Jones, Penick, Vardon etc.  I officially became addicted to the sport today, I had my first par and birdie and despite it being 95* and humid I just wanted to go to the range to get better so I can do things like try to play vintage blades as you describe and not look like a total fool while doing it.

Glad you're not a lefty, so we won't be bidding on the same items ; )


Congrats on the par & birdie - it's now official, you're hooked for life!

Have you read "The Match"?    If not I highly recommend it given your reading habits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks on the congrats, and yes I'm hooked.  I haven't read it, but appreciate the suggestion, looks like I'll be heading to Borders after work tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Congrats on the par & birdie - it's now official, you're hooked for life!

Have you read "The Match"?    If not I highly recommend it given your reading habits.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...