IGNORED

Hip Slide vs. Hip "Bump"?

Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

I can't afford a video, I even cut back on golf to 1/week .

But I understand. I won't ask anymore questions.

Questions are fine, but we've reached the point in this one where you have to be able to show us things you can't show us. Can't you find a friend with a camera?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't afford a video, I even cut back on golf to 1/week .

But I understand. I won't ask anymore questions.

Hey man, do you not know anyone with an iphone? I would find that hard to believe. It is so easy, take a video, hit the button in the left corner and download it straight to youtube and then upload it to this website...

oh, if iPhone quality is good enough... I'll ask a friend.

I thought I need to have a high def slow mo expensive camera.

No way man, at least I do not think you would need that. These teachers on here have software programs that can slow your swing down and cut it up into tiny pieces, and then they can re-create you an entirely new one! :-)

That's right: they'll splice you up a golf swing!

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Unfortunately I don't have a vid camera to take my video... =(

I'm going for another session in a few days and go back to making a centered back swing and only slightly bump the hip.

Let's see how that'll go.

Today I'm all over the place.

Way to go. Stick with it and you will not go far wrong.

One Aspirin - not the whole bottle.

Erik, my friend used his iPhone 4 to tape me. So I have 2 footages.

is the best footage enough?

oh, here is the clip. I hit it straight, then the ball fade on this clip.

2nd clip:
286yds draw , but I think I pulled it a little:

So my tendency is to Push the ball. Once in a while when I'm tired, I pull the ball.

I so want to make a straight with a draw my stock shot...

PS: I just noticed that the top of my back swing went beyond parallel ... is that just the shaft bending or am I over swinging?

• Administrator

So to answer the question, "do you slide your hips forward too much," the answer is a resounding no.

You do move your head forwards too much, though.

Red = P1 (setup), Orange = P4 (top), Yellow = P7 (impact).

Your camera position moves but I've drawn the lines from the ankle to the left hip and an oval around the hat (not the bill). The relationship of these will show how much your head has really moved. Note that (partly because the downswing occurs so quickly), the camera doesn't move much from P4 to P7, yet the ovals have almost no overlapping pieces.

_1.jpg _2.jpg

Note also the angle of the left-hip/left-ankle line. It's backwards. Now, you don't have the most perfect camera angle (it's a little left of face-on), but we'd still see that your hips have NOT slid forward nearly as much as you seem to think. The right knee is flexed more than preferred and they've rotated more than I'd prefer to see, but even this simple iPhone video shows feel isn't real and your hips have not "slid forward" 5-8 inches (and that they start too far back to begin with).

Now, you can play good golf moving your hips only as much you do. You can become a scratch golfer. But it's always going to be something you can improve, it's going to require extra good timing, you're going to pick a lot of your good shots without taking much of a divot, and you'll always fight curve control and lack great compression.

Your head movement is the larger issue of the two.

You should use these videos to start a "My Swing (Sai-Jin)" thread if you haven't already.

P.S. When you leave your head where it's supposed to be, your hips will be even farther back. Your head going forward is the biggest reason your hips go forward as much as they do.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik, thank you for your time.

So in 3 weeks will be my 1st year anniversary that I started playing golf.

I'm going to try to fix my positions by then and post another vid at the "my swing thread" I'll be making then.

Any other tips or advice that you can share with me to fix my flaws?

And yes, if I'd have known an iPhone quality vid is enough, I'd have done so ^^;

I thought I needed an expensive high def cam to capture each frame

• Administrator

You're doing really well for less than a year. Just keep working at it, and remember that feel isn't real, and even a so-so video beats no video. ;-)

Oh, thank you. I guess I'm lucky to be rather athletic.

I'll focus on keeping my head in place by pushing my hips forward more and see if I can get that body bend.

I wish I have a mirror I can look at when I practice...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

what do you think of this:

I think that's great advice if you want to hit weak slices that you often hit fat and thin with no compression.

Erik, I hear you, and that's what I thought too... I'm looking for a downswing trigger that can put me into that perfect posture you showed me...

I made the "my swing" thread, and so far, that's the best I swing for the time being...

So again, just looking for something so that I can improve my head and legs

Erik, if you don't mind, could you let me know what you think of this video where the instructor advocates a back knee drive into the forward knee pocket?

Thank you,

Mark.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by MPS67

Erik, if you don't mind, could you let me know what you think of this video where the instructor advocates a back knee drive into the forward knee pocket?

Briefly: his first move down isn't bad, because the left knee is pushing forward. But I'm not a fan of "kiss the knees" because there's no jumping, no extension.

Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!