IGNORED

Nickent Golf- 4DX Evolver Driver

Note: This thread is 4247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by HighSide

I have a couple of the cyg hosels coming. I have Limey 440 regular I might use, and I might buy an Xcaliber SL shaft (they are on sale at Golfworks until 7/31).

How much and where did you buy the cyg hisels?

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

According to FedEx tracking, it is on the truck for delivery, should be here this afternoon.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Just because they went out of business, doesn't mean their equipment was bad...

I hope Dick's does them right with new releases.

I have one of their new hybrids, I really like it - FedEx reports the driver is delivered, I should be trying it out on the range this evening.

In my  bag: 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Took the driver out to the range last night.  This driver is very light - the Persing shaft is only 65G and I could feel a significant difference.  The shaft seems very whippy to me for a Stiff flex, but it could also just be in comparison to my current XS driver shaft.  Distance may have been slightly longer than my current driver, but I'm not sure if I like it yet or not as I was really spraying it all over the place.  I never knew if it was going to be way to the right or way to the left, so I did not take it on the course with me.

To be fair, I was swinging very poorly last night.  I was really overswinging especially with the driver. My biggest problem has always been my effort level and last night was no exception: I swung poorly all night (men's club scramble) and my arms are actually sore this morning.  I'll try it again on the range this evening.

If I wanted to replace the shaft, does anyone have a recommendation for a better shaft (and where/how to find it?)

In my  bag: 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

I guess you are saying the Nickent goes as far or farther than your Octane Tour with the XS shaft, which, to me, is saying something. If the Pershing is too whippy, you can have it pulled from the hosel and tipped. I have read one instance where a golfer with a 98 mph swing speed was advised by Diamond Tour to tip the Pershing stiff shaft one inch. This is the most inexpensive approach. If it doesn't work, you can go back to the clubshop and seek their advise as to which shaft to buy.

There are a couple of cool sites to help fit golfers for shafts. They are shaftfit.com and ustmamiya.com. Using those, you would be able to figure out which Grafalloy or UST shafts might be best.

If this is really basic, please forgive my ignorance - since these shafts are replaceable with the included tool, I assumed they were specific to the Nickent driver/technology - can *any* shaft be attached using the same method?  I was looking specifically for the interchangeable shafts for the 4DX, is that wrong?

Also, I've seen the term "tipped" before but I don't know what that means, could you explain it to me?

In my  bag: 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Originally Posted by HighSide

I guess you are saying the Nickent goes as far or farther than your Octane Tour with the XS shaft, which, to me, is saying something. If the Pershing is too whippy, you can have it pulled from the hosel and tipped. I have read one instance where a golfer with a 98 mph swing speed was advised by Diamond Tour to tip the Pershing stiff shaft one inch. This is the most inexpensive approach. If it doesn't work, you can go back to the clubshop and seek their advise as to which shaft to buy.

I was so inconsistent with it that I really couldn't judge the distance, but on the few straight shots it was at least comparable.  I hit the Octane very high: it has the stock XS shaft in it, I've been thinking of taking it to Golf Galaxy and getting fit for a shaft, but with all the money I've already spent this year (and I'm not done yet) it will probably have to wait until next spring.

In my  bag: 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

You might look on Ebay every so often, as some good shafts already installed in cyg hosels have been sold recently. I recently saw a UST V2 shaft in the cyg hosel go for about $36 plus shipping. Who knows, you might find a V2 XS or a Saga XS already in the hosel on Ebay.

The 4DX evolver was a hell of a driver and if you can get one of rockbottomgolf with the CYG adapter its a steal. Don't let these guys tell you its for cheap players or such cause really I hit it up against some very good and expensive drivers and its just a bomb.

"If this is really basic, please forgive my ignorance - since these shafts are replaceable with the included tool, I assumed they were specific to the Nickent driver/technology - can *any* shaft be attached using the same method?  I was looking specifically for the interchangeable shafts for the 4DX, is that wrong?

Also, I've seen the term "tipped" before but I don't know what that means, could you explain it to me?"

First, you need to use the wrench to unscrew the head from the club (no worries about getting it back okay as there are a couple of light colored dots you just line up then screw it back together). If indeed you received the cyg hosel (I didn't from Rock Bottom), you will see a few settings on the hosel. If you have that hosel,  you can make 26 adjustments to enhance ball flight. In any event, you can have the shaft pulled by a clubfitter from either of the hosels (the cyg or original). Tipping means the clubfitter will shorten the shaft by cutting, and that will stiffen the shaft, which can cut down on slices and hooks. If the shaft is shortened a half inch or inch, when re-assembled, the club should still be playable at 44.5-45.5 inches in length. I imagine tipping and re-assembling the club would cost $15-30.

I didn't answer all of your questions. You can use any driver shaft with the 4DX. If you happen to find a good shaft already attached to the Nickent hosel on Ebay (which happens occasionally), you just use the wrench to use the new shaft. I'm not certain regarding reshafting the 4DX with the original hosel. It may be made of plastic (the CYG hosel is supposed to be made of aluminum). The clubfitter would need to heat the hosel with a heat gun to remove the shaft. That may ruin the original hosel.

This thread  from WRX answers many questions: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/281708-nickent-4dx-evolver-with-cyg-merged/

Thanks @HighSide - how can I tell if mine has the CYG hosel (and what is that, exactly?)

In my  bag: 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

CYG stands for "Change Your Game". The thread I referred has pictures of the cyg hosel and the different settings. When you unscrew the head, you can see whether you have neither of the adjustable hosels, the one where you can open or close the face angle, or the cyg one, which lets you make 26 adjustments. There are 3 possibilities. I think Rock Bottom kind of mis-advertised in claiming we would receive the cyg hosel. But, I should receive a couple of cyg hosels I bought on Ebay shortly (they were $15 each).

So, as far as changing things now, options are buying a cyg hosel. Then you could use any driver shaft. You could get the Pershing tipped a half inch or an inch. Or, you could check Ebay every week or so, searching under clubmaking, shafts, and specifying cyg, to see what shafts are for sale which are already installed in a cyg adapter. You may be able to find an extra stiff shaft already installed in a cyg hosel. You would then be able to just use the wrench to install that shaft yourself.

Regards,

HighSide

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!