IGNORED

Handicaps, what percentage are actually correct?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What percentage of handicaps are legitimate?

• 90% Golf is a game of honesty and integrity
    • 75% Most are okay but theres always that one guy
    • 50% We have a problem.
    • < 50% Cheater and liars everywhere

At the beginning of 2006 season our club changed it's handicap policy and will only use tournament scores to calculate a player's handicap.
  • A player must have 4 tournaments in order to have a valid handicap.
  • If a player doesn't have 4 tournament scores then they will only be eligible for Gross scoring
This helped eliminate a lot of sandbagging and seems to make everyone happy.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
At the beginning of 2006 season our club changed it's handicap policy and will only use tournament scores to calculate a player's handicap.

I wouldn't like that. I rarely play tournaments (because I'm not good enough to win low gross, nor bad enough to win low net). That's lame.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My club has done this for several years now. We had a member who was a shameless sandbagger, but he was an early retiree, so while he was still young enough to play a good game, he was also free to play anytime he wanted. As a result, even when the handicap committee di a manual adjustment, by the next tournament he had enough scores returned to inflate it again. After he won more than $1000 for 3 years running, the club switched to tournament scores only, and he immediately quit the club. Sandbagging hasn't been an issue since.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, sorry to deviate the discussion a bit... but what happens when you have tournaments where they calculate the scores through the "callaway" system?

Do you think that the callaway system is correct?

Does it reflect your handicap precisely?

IMO, handicaps have their flaws. I admitted that when I was younger and in Europe (the system differs a lot), I had a higher official handicap and I took advantage in 2 tournaments... but right after the second tournament, I felt that I was just cheating myself... so I stopped playing tournaments.

Now, I have a 7.0 handicap and 2 years ago, I participated at a Korean tournament (my first and last!).

Well.... you never want to play those ones, because everyone cheats.

There were people who said that their handicap was 28 and they play 79-80.

There were others who said that their handicap was 2-3 and they play 90 and over.

The guys in my foursome were playing winter rules from everywhere (too bad it was middle of August!!!) and were placing the ball

The guy who won had a declared handicap of 12 and he scored 71 (-1)!!!!!!!

By now, you should know what I think about handicap...
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

I'm from Australia and our handicapping system is quite good so I'd have to say that down here 95% of handicaps (Australian Golf Union) are true and accurate reflections of a players ability. The other 5% consists of golfers who are sandbaggers (don't play to their ability to inflate their handicaps).

Those trying to maintain a "vanity" handicap find it impossible because if you DNF and don't hand your card in they put .1 back on to your handicap anyway, the same as if you had shot 20 over your handicap. The only way possible to maintain a vanity type handicap would be to only play on days you were playing well, and you never can tell that beforehand can you!

Something to keep in mind regarding our AGU handicaps, a lot of golfers down here are members of an AGU affiliated club (the only way to have an AGU handicap) and will play 20+ members competition rounds a year. In fact to maintain your AGU handicap you have to hand in at least 5 competition cards each year.

Note: This thread is 6293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!