IGNORED

Which hybrid do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to hybrids? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

I have a Nickent 3DX, which is supposed to replace my three-iron.

That is really surprising to hear. What set up did you get? Is it the utility wood or the utility iron?

I have the 3DX DC ironwood in a 3+ (18.5 degree) and the Proforce V2 shaft and I can rip it dead on 210 - 220. My TM rescue that it replaced was equal in length but no where close to being as accurate.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really surprising to hear. What set up did you get? Is it the utility wood or the utility iron?

Mine's a Genex ironwood at 20 degrees. It's got a stock graphite shaft, nothing particulary special about it. If I want to hit a ball 220, I'm busting out the 3-wood, it'll be my only chance.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I dont think you can go wrong with any to be honest...But I love my Ping G5.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I hook the hell out of my G5, so much so that I don't even use it now. Has anyone played the sonertec MD because I would love a review. I hit one today inside and the contact was sweet. But I won't be able to hit one outside anytime soon here so a review is appreciated.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

Mine's a Genex ironwood at 20 degrees. It's got a stock graphite shaft, nothing particulary special about it. If I want to hit a ball 220, I'm busting out the 3-wood, it'll be my only chance.

Ok, let me rephrase the distance side of my comment. My 18.5 Nickent goes ~15 yards longer then my 3 iron but with prolly 25 yards more carry. That is a better way to state the distance because you are totally correct, distances very with the individual.

Curious, what hybrid did you use before the Nickent? Why did you change? Just an idea for next time you are at the range... tell yourself you are swinging an 8 iron and really try to make an 8 iron swing with it and see what happens. It may just be that you are swinging more like a drive then you are an iron (just a suggestion. I have never seen you swing but by what you said, this may be a very easy fix). Good luck

I have the first style of nike CPR rescue clubs. they could not be any easyer to hit, but they are almost 5 years old. i am always looking out for a new set of hybrids to include new irons.

Ok, let me rephrase the distance side of my comment. My 18.5 Nickent goes ~15 yards longer then my 3 iron but with prolly 25 yards more carry. That is a better way to state the distance because you are totally correct, distances very with the individual.

In that case, it's going about 30 yards shorter than my three iron. The Nickent was my first hybrid (and likely the last). When I do hit the club like a short iron, it'll work with the resulting crappy range that leaves me rather using a five or six iron.

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Hogan EDGE CFT 21 degree. Only got it over the winter. Still have to try it on the course, but at the range it's performed well.
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Trying to replace my current Taylormade Rescue Dual TP hybrid to another. Might be switching to Titleist or Adams...
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

• Administrator
Trying to replace my current Taylormade Rescue Dual TP hybrid to another. Might be switching to Titleist or Adams...

The Titleist one rocks. Review (hopefully) this Friday.

Long overdue review, that is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I ditched my 3 hybrid in favor of a 5 Wood--which I miss much less often on, and has a similar range. I can hit a 5 200-220 on a good day, and my three iron can run up to 200, so there's no gap - and I hit my three iron like no other...

I think that I'm in the minority of people who can't hit a hybrid, though

I just replaced my 3-iron with an Adams Idea a2 OS 3-hybrid. It's my first 'good' club and so far I'm very pleased with it. I only hit a handful of shots with it before going out to play 18 on a course I haven't played since my very first time out last August. It performed quite well, consistently getting me close to my aim-point even when my swing wasn't up to snuff. This course has a lot of mounds so side-hill lies were the order of the day. I can't wait to play it at my home course.

My hybrid is a 17 degree Titleist PT585H. 40.5" with a Aldila NV 85 Hybrid S-flex shaft.

907D2 9.5 degree with Aldila VS Proto 65
906F2 15 degree with Aldila NVS 75
585.H 17 degree with Aldila NVS 85
2-PW 690MB
Vokey 254.10 Prototype Vokey 260.04 Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

Does anyone else out there still use a 3 iron?

I don't have a hybrid. When I did, I usually mishit (a push-slice), if I ht it squarely, it would go 160 yards. To hell with that, I hit my 3 iron 230, 250 on a good day, and I mishit less often. (Catching the three iron on the toe however, especially on a cold day, is the most painful thing in golf.)

• Administrator
Does anyone else out there still use a 3 iron?

I use a 3-iron. The hybrid replaced my two-iron because it was better at getting the ball out of the rough. I don't carry a 5W.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Wow - only a couple other Adams users? That surprises me a bit as the Ideas are really some pretty nice hybrids.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!