IGNORED

please help me stretch away back pain

Lebowski
Note: This thread is 4607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Thanks to everyone for posting in this thread and I tried every suggestion except for going to a yoga class (the closest class was still pretty far away)....... and the one suggestion that did the trick?

I have scoliosis

So sorry to hear that man. I hope they can find something to help you through it.

Thanks guys, well i go back to the doctor in a week after my first visit in 6yrs, on my first visit he suspected that scoliosis has been putting a large amount of stress on discs in my back and more then likely some have herniated. My reflexes on my left arm/hand were non existent and with that added to the location of the pain i was feeling, the doctor feels that i have some compressed nerves that are also giving me problems. I can't wait for my next Dr. appointment so hopefully i can get an idea on how to put this behind me.

I lay on an electric heat pad every night and sometimes in the mornings before getting it.  It really loosens up my back muscles.  They're only $25-$35 at the convenience store and worth every penny.

Ogio Grom
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0   |   Woods:
TaylorMade V Steel
Irons:
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-AW   |   Putter: TaylorMade Rossa

Originally Posted by Lebowski

..... My reflexes on my left arm/hand were non existent and with that added to the location of the pain i was feeling, the doctor feels that i have some compressed nerves that are also giving me problems. I can't wait for my next Dr. appointment so hopefully i can get an idea on how to put this behind me.

I had compressed nerves all on my right side: my neck, shoulder, elbow and wrist.  Got so bad that my ring and pinky would go numb.  First thought was Cubital Tunnel syndrome - Ulnar nerve getting compressed in elbow.  Slept with straight arm at night (towel around elbow) and that helped a bit but did not cure it.

The real issue was in my neck and partly in my shoulder.  PT really helped out this situation and continued exercises after PT.   Exercises consisted of Ulnar Glides, forearm weight work, inner and outer rotation exercises for shoulder, and as Jim Furyk demonstrated "T"'s,
"V"'s and "W"'s arm work with low weights or stretchy bands.

For my lower back and hip, it was so bad, I could not even think about swinging a club for almost 10 months.  Then drugs along with exercises (stationary bike, stretchy bands, and stretching exercises) really have helped me out.  Keep Moving to Keep Moving is a great statement for people with back issues.  I could not even think about doing any exercises, as even minimal ones just killed me the next day.  So got on a drug program with arthritis doctor, did my exercises daily, and now I can play golf again.   Still have to keep a couple of days or more between rounds, but it is better than not playing at all.  I posted in another thread, but in case you did not see it, there is a great book called "Heal Your Back" by David Borenstein - read it to learn about why back issues occur and how to help maintain it.

I had severe lower back pain about 15 years ago. went to doc and was recommend PT. Of all the exercises one stood out : get down on all fours alternating slowly raising opposite arm and leg(left arm/right leg then right arm/left) straight away form body keeping back parallel to floor. i was amazed how effective this was in strengthening my mid and lower back. within days all the pain was gone. now 15 years later whenever i feel my back weakening i get down and do it - usually for a few weeks into the season then it's good for the the remainder

but always consult your doc and get a second opnion - there are often conflicting remedies - some that can be harmful for certain conditions

best of luck - stay strong

• 2 weeks later...

I have had back problems for the last 10 years. Usually its a bulging disc in my lower back. 1-2 times a year, it cripples me with extreme nerve pain. I have had a recent bout of it and Im just starting to feel pain free again. 6 months ago, in an attempt to cure the problem, I looked up a physio for golf. Found a guy that used to work with the PGA tour and Ryder Cup team Europe. I slowly eased into it over a couple of weeks, but had instant relief. I started waking up with no back pain at all after a few weeks and I am so much more comfortable on the course. I am now doing Pilates For Golf with him and its more of a clinical class rather than increasing your flexibility, so its about core and key strengthening based on the golf swing. I go once a week but carry out the other stuff I can do at home 4 times a week. I have even had some traction treatment as part of my rehab from the last injury a month or so ago. That is awesome to have as it stretches your back muscles in a direction that no other stretching can do. 2 days since my second treatment and I feel like a rubber band. Having a spine alignment every few months will help too. Nothing like having a good back crack.

Here is an exercise that doesn't hurt for a sore back.  I had a sore back for years.  Went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.   All they told me was that I should just take it easy and eventually it would get better on its own and never push cars or try to get anything out of the trunk of your car.  Send someone else in to get it because you can't bend your knees while lifting something out of the trunk (Like golf clubs?).

I showed this exercise  to a physiotherapist and she thought it was great because it straightens your back by using your leg muscles.

What you do is lie on your back.  You put a belt or a bungie cord around your knees.  Then you press outward with your legs bent and you can feel how the back flattens against the floor or pad you are lying on.  Usually with back pain there is a curvature. Because you are using your leg muscles instead of your back muscles, there is no stress and the exercise is not painful at all.

The minute I feel a twinge.  This is the exercise I do.

Note: This thread is 4607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!