IGNORED

The Top Five Hardest Shots in Golf

jamesonbourne
Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is the hardest shot in golf for you?

• 3-4 foot putt under pressure (tournament win, personal match win, personal best round)
    • Tee shot over a body of water or a waste area
    • Chip/Pitch/Wedge shot over a bunker or body of water
    • Buried lie in the bunker
    • Par 3 tee shot to an island green
    • Buried lie in thick rough
    • Going for the par 5 in two
    • The one you take at the 19th hole after losing a bet to your buddies
    • Other (Please explain in comments)

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner! Long quasi greenside bunker shots are even difficult for the pros.

agreed... theres no where to really practice them either like how many places do you know have a practice bunker with a 60 yard long green 40 yards away

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Originally Posted by cody west

agreed... theres no where to really practice them either like how many places do you know have a practice bunker with a 60 yard long green 40 yards away

I practice them in either the bunker on the range or I aim at something that is 40 to 60 yards away from the greenside practice bunker.  There is no rule that says you have to hit your practice shots at a green or a pin.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

I love these questions.  They make me think back and consider/relive some anxious moments and the ecstasy or frustration that followed those decisions on the course.

My toughest shot is tied between two.  I know it is a poll, and ya have to pick one, but here goes.

First thing that came to mind was the long lag putt on the undulating green.  Multibreaks, hey, no problem.  I have been playing long enough to read multibreaks.  The problem is that large hump that always comes into play somewhere along your putting line on these type of greens.  Get that part of the read wrong, and you have no chance of hitting all your other reads/points on the line.

That putt is a tough shot.  But, as I thought about that, thought about my favorite course, Torrey Pines South.  Like many other coastal/links courses, you have onshore flow (wind from the sea) for most of the day.  Hitting to a green that is on the edge of a cliff with onshore flow makes for an interesting shot selection.  Hit a fade into the wind.  Normally, a smart play.  Or, you could start a fade way right (over the side of the cliff) and hope for the wind to hold up.

I will go with the lag putt.  The coastal cliff shot is a tougher decision, but the lag putt is a tougher shot.

Originally Posted by B of H

When you have a tight pin on the extreme right of a green with a right to left wind and you cant risk starting it right of the green.

Tree trouble

Pin cut over a ridge and you dont want to spin it back in the direction of the ridge

Etc...

just hit it strait... honestly most people would probably screw up a low cut.

p.s. doesnt your handicap have a decimal?

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Originally Posted by jamesonbourne

Punch fade or the "low cut" as most people call it.

This is probably just a personal thing, but I can't hit a controlled fade to save my life.  My dad brought me up to hit a draw from day one and now I don't put in the time to practice hitting a fade.  I would say one out of every five times I have to hit a punch shot it requires a fade to get close to the target and I just don't have that shot.

All you need is a set of Ping Eye 2's.

pingeye2poster.jpg

just hit it strait... honestly most people would probably screw up a low cut.

p.s. doesnt your handicap have a decimal?

In order to hit the ball straight in a right to left wind you have to cut it, if you ride the wind you fly the green or bounce over. If you hit it straight then the chances of getting it close on the courses i play are slim and you bring bogey or worse into play. The point of this thread is the hardest shot, not managing your game. My handicap is probably around scratch again now, i need to update it.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Im very good at the low burner from under trees so that wouldnt be in my top 5.

1. Severe downhill lie in the roung.

2. Plugged bunker shot from fairway bunker.

3. 20-40 yard flop over trees.

4. Plugged greenside bunker in the lip

5. Over hazard to close side pin.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

Other, definitely.

medium length bunker shot - 50 yards or so.

long iron that must come in high to a tight pin

300 yard drive (what % of golfers can actually do this - 10%?)

Full Flop Shot (lay it wide open) when you are short sided and the green slopes away

downhill putts that break a foot or more but are less than 10 feet.

Honorable mention to any shot that comes after the one you just hit in the water.....

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Kris Blanks and Andres Romero might vote for the long greenside bunker shot.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!