IGNORED

The most outrageous trip you have made to play a golf course.

Note: This thread is 4670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My son is a stick. He sets up a trip to go to New Zealand[from Philly] Things work out so I can tag along.  WE arrive at Cape Kidnappers....They play a Thanksgiving event there with a 4some of tour pros and we are there a couple days after this outing. We stay in our little camper van at the bottom of the hill from where The Cape is. The course has 600 foot cliffs. It is spectacular.

http://www.capekidnappers.com/ ......As we are about to crawl into our minivan to sleep the custodian of the park advises us that we are not allowed to stay there because our unit has no bathroom facilities.  He sees our golf clubs and advises what we are doing in the area. We advise him we are playing Cape Kidnappers tomorrow.....He says in all the time I have monitored this park no one has ever stayed here and then played The Kidnappers....Good Luck and you are welcome to stay here....Flight to New Zealand $1500, Round of golf on the Kidnappers $400NZ, Night in the van, free....With your son...Priceless.

Wowsers. What a course! I'm putting that one on my bucket list! What did you and your son shoot? And the most important question, how many golf balls did ya lose? haha

Handicap: 5

Home Course: The Highlands (Grand Rapids, Michigan)

My son played the tips and shot 76.  I played the next set up around 6700.  I shot 81 and lost one. On the innocuous first hole! Look for the outing in the silly season. Anthony Kim, Camillo and two others played last year.  I was actually there end of 09.  Course has sister course called Kauri Cliffs which is equally nice.  I beat my son there.  79 for me and tough 81 for him. I drained a couple snakes.  Only time I've beat him in past 8 years.

http://www.kauricliffs.com/

Didn't exactly go anywhere spectacular, but I did have quite the golf adventure earlier this summer.

Played a round at 5:00 AM with a friend at Highland Woods , the course we both work at. Round went pretty well and we were feelin' good about our game... so good that we decided to play another round. We actually decided to play the next round at another course while in the middle of our back nine. Headed on over to Whisper Creek after we finished our morning round, and we were done with 36 holes by 2:30 PM.

Things got interesting after that because I actually still had to work at my course that night starting at 5:00 PM. Got home around 4:00 PM, passed out for 35 minutes, then took a quick shower and headed to work at the course I started my day at.

Needless to say, my eyes had never felt so tired in my life and my body was paying for the 36 holes of golf by the time I was done with work at 10:00 PM. I think I fell asleep for the night around 10:30 PM, haha.

It was quite the adventurous day, a lot of fun too, but I don't think I would ever do it again. I've golfed 36 holes in a day plenty of times, but throwing in a shift at work at the end of the day was not very fun!

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

DSC00264d.jpg From the east coast, went to Vegas last winter to play Wolf Creek - most amazing desert secenry.       Spectacular doesn't do it justice...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wolf Creek is fabulous.  Truely a one of a kind landscape.  I tend to overemphasize scenery in my appreciation of a golf course.  So Wolf Creek is right up there on my list of best played.

14 hour flight from L.A. to Taipei. 11 hour delay, Yes, 11 wonderful hours in the marvelous Taipei airport. 2.5 hours from Taipei to Bangkok. 2 hour drive from Bangkok to Hua Hin. Two weeks of golf for the Asian Tour Q School.

Originally Posted by FLOG4

My son is a stick. He sets up a trip to go to New Zealand[from Philly] Things work out so I can tag along.  WE arrive at Cape Kidnappers....They play a Thanksgiving event there with a 4some of tour pros and we are there a couple days after this outing. We stay in our little camper van at the bottom of the hill from where The Cape is. The course has 600 foot cliffs. It is spectacular.

http://www.capekidnappers.com/ ......As we are about to crawl into our minivan to sleep the custodian of the park advises us that we are not allowed to stay there because our unit has no bathroom facilities.  He sees our golf clubs and advises what we are doing in the area. We advise him we are playing Cape Kidnappers tomorrow.....He says in all the time I have monitored this park no one has ever stayed here and then played The Kidnappers....Good Luck and you are welcome to stay here....Flight to New Zealand $1500, Round of golf on the Kidnappers $400NZ, Night in the van, free....With your son...Priceless.

Dang, that's a pretty cool trip! What a course!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 3 months later...

Originally Posted by kmarkham

Does spending 14 months travelling around Ireland in a camper van, playing every 18 hole course on the island just so I could play free golf at Old Head of Kinsale, Royal County Down, Portmarnock, Ballybunion, Lahinch and all the rest count??

Sign me up.  How was it free?  So which were your favorites?

• 3 weeks later...

In October I had to go to Abu Dhabi and Portugal on business. Flight from Detroit to Abu Dhabi had a change of planes in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Stoped off for a couple of days to see old friends and played Golfbaan Delfland, Schipluiden, The Netherlands. On to Abu Dhabi where I squeezed in time to play Abu Dhabi City Golf Club. Then on to Madrid, Spain and Golf Olivar de la Hinjosa. A couple of days in Tangier, Morocco and a round at Royal Golf de Tanger. Last stop was Lisbon, Portugal and a nine-hole course Paco Do Lumiar Clube de Golfe. Played the first round on the 5th and the last on the 23rd. The results being 5 countrues on 3 continents in 19 days. Next overseas golf trip will be to meet up with a friend from England for a 15 day golf package in Vietnam and Thailand during March.

DSC00264d.jpg From the east coast, went to Vegas last winter to play Wolf Creek - most amazing desert secenry.       Spectacular doesn't do it justice...

Wow, that looks really cool! I need to do a golf trip in Vegas. I think I'm going to do that this March and watch the NCAA's!?

http://www.capekidnappers.com/ ......As we are about to crawl into our minivan to sleep the custodian of the park advises us that we are not allowed to stay there because our unit has no bathroom facilities.  He sees our golf clubs and advises what we are doing in the area. We advise him we are playing Cape Kidnappers tomorrow.....He says in all the time I have monitored this park no one has ever stayed here and then played The Kidnappers....Good Luck and you are welcome to stay here....Flight to New Zealand $1500, Round of golf on the Kidnappers $400NZ, Night in the van, free....With your son...Priceless.

I've never been to New Zealand, but it's on the bucket list. My parents went to Sydney for the Olympic Games in 2000, and went to New Zealand on part of their trip. They said if they would of known how beautiful it was, they would of spent more time there rather then Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

The most exotic course I have ever played is Bukit Jumbul Country Club..........Penang, Malaysia.

http://bjcc.com.my/index.aspx

Flights to get there:

1. Kansas City to Salt Lake City

2. Salt Lake city to LA

3. LA to Taipei Taiwan

4. Taipei to Singapore

5. Singapore to Penang

From KC departure to touchdown in Penang......38 hours!  It was a beautiful rugged/ jungle golf course with monkeys running wild in the trees and huge komodo dragons running loose around the property.  Memorable golf.........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!