IGNORED

Clone clubs

Grooch6
Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are clones allowed in competition?  All they are is a copy of other clubs, and that means nothing on them is illegal.  But my high school is getting a team this year I was wondering if I can use clones in competition.  Thanks

You should be alright as long as where ever you got the clubs at was not trying to play them off as the real deal.  In other words they are marketed as being clones.  Also you might want to make sure driver heads and what not are conforming (460 cc or less).

That is a relief!  I have not purchased a clone driver, as I have a Callaway Big Bertha from a while back.  I have only purchased some clone irons (GX922s) and they are not claiming to be something they are not!  Thank you for the response.  I really appreciate it!

Find out if your high school league requires grooves that are conforming to the USGA specifications.  If they do, then you'd want to make sure your clone irons meet the specs otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Grooch6

Thanks newtogolf.  The grooves on my clones are just like my father's clubs, and his are not clones.  So I think I should be fine.  Thanks though!

How old are your dad's clubs?

While those might be old enough that the grooves are not CC, it shouldn't matter for you. A high school player is by definition an amateur, and therefore the new groove regulations don't apply until you'll most certainly be out of high school (2024). There is a chance your local scholastic sports organization has implemented the new groove rule, but I would highly doubt it.

Clone clubs, provided they are materially similar to known legal clubs (meaning not some crazy unusual design), should be fine, but you can ask your coach to be sure.

As most have said, they should be fine. I coach our varsity golf team and am good friends with our local pro who also custom builds clubs. He only orders components from a few reputable sources and he has built my entire set except for my putter and has built most of the clubs for the golf team and they are perfectly legal and great clubs.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!