IGNORED

FedExCup = A Waste of 10 Million Dollars

AmazingWhacker
Note: This thread is 4603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed about the excitement, and agreed about how impressive to see players compete under severe pressure. $10+m on the line and a huge title is not something most people deal with every day.  All of that works for me, providing we don't think the winner is 'the golfer of the year'.

There was drama and excitement, but NBC using a white board and marker pen to write up the various permutations of points did not add to that!

I think Sunday just invalidated all the naysayers on this thread. From everything I have heard/read, the players themselves are really pretty happy with the set up. You have to perform throughout the year to even make it into the playoffs (see Tiger). Then you have to perform in the playoff events well enough to move on, for the most part. I think they do as good a job as can be expected in getting the best 30 players for that season in the final Tour Championship. I see no problem with the set up whatsoever, and it obviously worked out exactly with how the Tour wanted it....a sudden death playoff for $10M. That made for some pretty compelling TV, as long as you had a pulse.

My entire household watched it, and I am typically the ONLY one that watches golf on TV.

I dunno guys, this FedEx Cup is not convincing me... if you win a tournament there's the tournament's trophy for that, the FedEx cup should reward the best player of the whole playoffs, not the one that had one hell of a week imho

Haas has been in contention once, while Donald (for example) has been in contention more or less each time, this is why there are 4 tournaments' trophies and one FedEx Cup!

Haas: T24 - T61 - T16 - 1

Donald: T18 - T3 - 4 - T3

If you have to pick a player that have been dominating the playoffs, would you pick Haas? I certainly would not: never saw this guy in the leaderboard before the Tour Champ... I really hope they will improve this scoring system, maybe doing a moneylist of the playoffs would create a more objective winner (no I won't send this suggestion to the PGA and no, I won't sponsor a final PGA event to apply my own rules if you were wondering)

btw, after what happened on Sunday I am even more convinced that a final matchplay tournament would be way more entertaining!

(imho)

The one guy I wouldn't pick is Donald. He never finished higher than 3rd and didn't win the Tour Championship. A T2 would have done it. Close but no cigar again, Luke.

Originally Posted by makaveli

I dunno guys, this FedEx Cup is not convincing me... if you win a tournament there's the tournament's trophy for that, the FedEx cup should reward the best player of the whole playoffs, not the one that had one hell of a week imho

Haas has been in contention once, while Donald (for example) has been in contention more or less each time, this is why there are 4 tournaments' trophies and one FedEx Cup!

Haas: T24 - T61 - T16 - 1

Donald: T18 - T3 - 4 - T3

If you have to pick a player that have been dominating the playoffs, would you pick Haas? I certainly would not: never saw this guy in the leaderboard before the Tour Champ... I really hope they will improve this scoring system, maybe doing a moneylist of the playoffs would create a more objective winner (no I won't send this suggestion to the PGA and no, I won't sponsor a final PGA event to apply my own rules if you were wondering)

btw, after what happened on Sunday I am even more convinced that a final matchplay tournament would be way more entertaining!

(imho)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I was pretty sure somebody would have said anybody but Donald! Cheers! ;)

Originally Posted by sean_miller

The one guy I wouldn't pick is Donald. He never finished higher than 3rd and didn't win the Tour Championship. A T2 would have done it. Close but no cigar again, Luke.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by makaveli

That's your opinion, yeah.

The problem with that is that they tried that opinion. It resulted in Tiger skipping the event and having it sown up the first year with two good finishes. Then Vijay won it simply needing to complete four rounds of play in Atlanta, even if he'd shot +83.

They simply can't have the FedExCup decided before the Tour Championship. That didn't work. Your opinion has been tried.

And on top of that, how do you score "the entire playoffs?" What if one guy wins twice but MCs twice? Is a win in a 30-player field equivalent to a win in a 125-player field? Would two wins and two MCs beat a guy who finished 2, T3, T4, 2? I think it's fine. Last year was exciting. This year was exciting.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello iacas,

you said "They simply can't have the FedExCup decided before the Tour Championship"... why not? I mean, if a player win the first 2 events, then the FedEx Cup race can be closed there cause he is the best player in the field with no doubt (otherwise another player win the 3rd and the 4th), if a player is dominant this is good for me! Better to see Vijay enjoying the last tournament knowing that he proved before he was the best than seeing the Cup given to clearly a non dominant player like this year (imho).

So I understand that you are saying that the Tour Championship is more important than the others? So just award the Fedex Cup to the winner of that, as I wrote before...

You can score the entire playoffs with moneylist (imho), with 2 win and 2 mc you still got 2m$, pretty hard to reach for the other guys. I dunno, last year was exciting, this year was random imho, really hope they come out with a better logic, format or scoring...

Originally Posted by iacas

That's your opinion, yeah.

The problem with that is that they tried that opinion. It resulted in Tiger skipping the event and having it sown up the first year with two good finishes. Then Vijay won it simply needing to complete four rounds of play in Atlanta, even if he'd shot +83.

They simply can't have the FedExCup decided before the Tour Championship. That didn't work. Your opinion has been tried.

And on top of that, how do you score "the entire playoffs?" What if one guy wins twice but MCs twice? Is a win in a 30-player field equivalent to a win in a 125-player field? Would two wins and two MCs beat a guy who finished 2, T3, T4, 2? I think it's fine. Last year was exciting. This year was exciting.

Note: This thread is 4603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!