IGNORED

The rise and fall of the Penta

Note: This thread is 4641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love the Penta balls as well.  I have been playing them all year.  Considering that you can now get them for around $26 per box with the buy two get one free deal, I am not sure why anyone would pay $45 for another brand.  I have had problems with scuffing this ball badly with my wedges though.  I have the non-conforming Vokey wedges.  I am switching to the CC wedges, but has anyone had better luck with those wedges and not tearing the cover?

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

I love the Penta balls as well.  I have been playing them all year.  Considering that you can now get them for around $26 per box with the buy two get one free deal, I am not sure why anyone would pay $45 for another brand.  I have had problems with scuffing this ball badly with my wedges though.  I have the non-conforming Vokey wedges.  I am switching to the CC wedges, but has anyone had better luck with those wedges and not tearing the cover?

Ive got the Callaway "jaws" wedges and I tear up my Penta's pretty bad. I sometimes only get 3 wedge shots out of a ball… But at $26 a dozen its worth it.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by cipher

I've never cut one up, because they go where I want them to and don't have to hit them out of junky lies. No problems with ProV1 durability either so maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe losing them before they're damaged is a factor?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I tear them up from the center of the fairway… Its not about the lie, its about compression and "dig."

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

I tear them up from the center of the fairway… Its not about the lie, its about compression and "dig."

You're just too awesome I guess.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

lol Unfortunately, I generally tear up most balls on the market. Lately, with my new Scratch wedge, I've been shredding the cover of my AD333s. The funny thing is, I never really tear up the Pro Vs like I do Pentas, Callaway (i)s, or Bridgestone B330s. I'm definitely not a fan of the Pro V but I've never had a durability issue with it like I do with Pentas.

Yeah I was talking about fairway lies.  I am not sure what you are talking about with "Junky Lies".  A bad lie would protect your ball more with taller grass coming between your club face and the ball.  Fairway lies are what cuts balls up with the club face grooves directly impacting the ball.  Anyway, has anyone had better luck with conforming wedges or is it pretty much the same?

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every ball has to compete with the ProV1 and V1x. The problem unique to the Penta is that the TP Black and Red are so good, and for people that often play in windy conditions (Texas, New Mexico), the TP Black may be the best wind ball ever. The Penta spins too much in the wind, while the TP Black holds its line and bores through the wind. For me personally, the TP Black also feels better. It feels "hotter" "jumpier" off the club face.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You're just too awesome I guess.

Its a side affect… You'll get over it. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

Originally Posted by uttexas

Every ball has to compete with the ProV1 and V1x. The problem unique to the Penta is that the TP Black and Red are so good, and for people that often play in windy conditions (Texas, New Mexico), the TP Black may be the best wind ball ever. The Penta spins too much in the wind, while the TP Black holds its line and bores through the wind. For me personally, the TP Black also feels better. It feels "hotter" "jumpier" off the club face.

ive never played the TP black or TP red balls… What's the deal?

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

Note: This thread is 4641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!