IGNORED

Why am I hitting my 6, 7 and 8 iron the same distance?

DublinMeUp
Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

So I've been hitting my new irons ( Adams A7's ) at the range a lot to get used to them. I can honestly say I have seen a drastic improvement in my distance, ball striking and direction.  My friend who plays off single digits says my swing has come on leaps and bounds also ( which is obv great news ).

Sadly though i cant seem to see any difference in distance between my 6,7 and 8.. I can hit a sweet 8 iron now almost all the time but when i swap down for my next 20-30 balls my 6 and 7 seem to be landing in exactly the same "zone".

I don't think i have a very fast swing speed, I'm happier to swing correctly and forfeit a slight bit of club head speed, but shouldn't the 6 naturally fly further due to the degree difference?

I know you cant say much without seeing my swing / shots so I'm just hoping for some tips really.

If i try to swing harder to gain distance with the 6 or 7 i don't feel i get good contact and think it actually hinders the problem rather than helps.

Again only seeking some tips for the next trip to the range.

Cheers

Gav

Is the trajectory for each club different or the same?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah pretty much, it looks like I'm hitting the same club.

I tried moving the ball back and forward in my stance with each club. As i said I not a huge hitter anyway so i rely on taking an extra club where someone else may just swing a "hard" 8 iron etc

On a side note, the exact same swing with the 3 or 4 hybrid produces straight and long shots ( this is why i can't figure out the mid irons )

Thanks

I dont really know what "pured them" means?

These are brand new clubs like, was your issue a problem with the clubs / shafts or a swing issue ( your problem ) ?

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

I had the same problem at times with my 7-8i. I pulled all my shafts a few weeks ago and pured them. Problem solved.

It could be the shafts, but when I had this same problem and it turned out to be my swing, not the clubs.  I'd hit perfect shots with my 6i-9i but they all would go about 115 - 125 yards.  I was casting my longer irons which causes them to deloft and make them all go the same distance.  You could also be subconsciously slowing down your swing on longer irons which would have the same effect.  Before I spent money changing shafts I'd have a pro check out my swing and make sure it's not something you're doing first.

Joe Paradiso

thanks for all the replies guys.. seeing as im basically new back to golf i'd say the odds are that its a swing / positional issue rather than a shaft / club issue.

Gonna get a friend to hit a few of each to see which action to take.. hopefully it is a club or shaft issue, i have enough to fix already with my swing =)

it appears i'm hitting all my irons from roughly the middle of my stance.. I was told to move the ball forward a small bit the with the 7 and particularly the 6.. Is that right?

Seemed to help a bit when i tried it.

Figure out where your divot starts with each club.  Put the ball right behind the start of the divot.

Originally Posted by DublinMeUp

it appears i'm hitting all my irons from roughly the middle of my stance.. I was told to move the ball forward a small bit the with the 7 and particularly the 6.. Is that right?

Everyone has a different ball address.  I keep the ball in the middle of my stance with all my irons.  On wedges I may move the ball in my stance depending on the shot and what I want the ball to do.

Joe Paradiso

I keep the ball the same distance from my front foot for all irons and hybrids. Since my feet get father apart as the clubs get longer, the ball "moves forward" compared to the middle of my stance but not forward relative to my front foot. The ball and my front foot stay the same, my back foot goes back. This means the ball is near the middle of my stance with a PW and near the front of my stance with a 3-hybrid even though my front foot and the ball have not changed (other than to stand farther from the ball because the club is longer). Your swing concept may differ. However, I think this is what most instructors mean when they say the ball moves forward. Note: it does move forward for my 3-wood off a tee and even more forward for a driver.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

yeah my stance is similar ie i widen it as the club gets longer but i was moving both feet out instead of my right foot. I'm not sure why this only affected those particular irons ( maybe because the are quite close together loft wise ).

Funny you should mention this though as another friend i was at the range with saw me slice about 20 drives and told me to move my right foot about 5 or 6 inch's back ( not my "back", but his ).. I hit the rest of the bucket pretty good with only a few mild slices.

Maybe my stance and ball positioning is causing more problems than i thought, which is good as its simple to fix!

In theory.  If you cannot detect what you're doing wrong, nothing is going to change unless you have someone else observing you to tell you what your problems are and when you do it.  Example, I have a very hard time determining which direction I am actually aiming.  When I think I am aiming dead at my intended target, my golf partner will point out that I am aiming way to the left or right but it "feels" like I am on the correct path.  As it turns out, I am actually aiming straight at the target when I think I am aiming too far to the right.

Maybe my stance and ball positioning is causing more problems than i thought, which is good as its simple to fix!

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

luckily i have a pretty good player as a friend so i do have someone to tell me, the other thing is im only back playing a short time and have been really focused on my swing and grip, my OP was just an afterthought when i came back from the range but i assumed it would be something pretty basic like some of the posts have eluded to.

Apparently my swing has improved a lot so i'm doing something right ( although its not hard to improve on what i once called a swing ;) )

I had a similar problem last year and what I found out with video is I was hitting all my irons with a open club face effectively giving all the clubs the same loft. I'm not saying this is your problem but without a video it's at least something to think about.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!