IGNORED

Sun Mountain four 5 and alternatives

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to buy my first decent bag. I am looking for a carry bag that is relatively light weight with a 14 way top with full length dividers. The Sun Mountain four 5 seems to fit the bill although I notice that it no longer appears on the Sun Mountain website. I would love to hear opinions about this bag, possible alternatives and if Sun Mountain has a new model that has similar specs? Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by philiprst

I am looking to buy my first decent bag. I am looking for a carry bag that is relatively light weight with a 14 way top with full length dividers. The Sun Mountain four 5 seems to fit the bill although I notice that it no longer appears on the Sun Mountain website. I would love to hear opinions about this bag, possible alternatives and if Sun Mountain has a new model that has similar specs? Thanks so much!

I have a four5 an after a couple seasons can't imagine a better bag - well at least without designing one myself. I looked for a second carry bag this summer and kept coming back to the four5. Now I have two of them. The new one has a bit too much padding in the club slots (could be a problem with oversized or really tacky grips) but there's more padding in the shoulder straps which is nice. Basically, you can either get a four5 or a wannabe. Am I biased? Heck yeah!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The four 5 is a pretty nice bag. I opted for the 3.5super light because while the dividers are nice, I liked the size of the 3.5 more. As for the four 5, it is being phased out as a new bag is replacing it in the coming months. Check out the Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag...thats its replacement. Pretty much the same thing, but more cart friendly.

Ogio makes several bags that fit your criteria as well...

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I have a Four5 and love it... absolutely the best bag I've owned.  Before I had the Titleist 14 way stand bag and it was also awesome (it is essentially a Four5 that says "Titleist").

Another bag to check out is the one made by Ogio (I think their 14 way carry model is the Grom).  There are quite a few people here that like it, although in my opinion I think the Sun Mountain is best.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My cousin has the Four5 and loves it. The pockets are numerous and the dividers work very well. On top of all of that, it's a fairly light bag! :)

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Originally Posted by Precis1on

My cousin has the Four5 and loves it. The pockets are numerous and the dividers work very well. On top of all of that, it's a fairly light bag! :)

It really is... there is plenty of pocket space so it can be tempting to throw a bunch of crap into it but as long as you resist that urge it is more than light enough to carry for 18 holes.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thanks so much everyone. I found both the four 5 and the newer hybrid model in a local store. They are quite similar to one another but the hybrid is slightly heavier and a little larger. The 14 way top on the hybrid is somewhat different with different organization of the dividers and a more square top with a plastic rim all the way around. The four 5 has thicker/better padding on the side against the body and a little amount of padding on the straps. My impression was that the four 5 was the variant designed to carry bag that would work quite well on a cart while the hybrid was the variant designed more as a cart bag that could also be carried.

Originally Posted by philiprst

Thanks so much everyone. I found both the four 5 and the newer hybrid model in a local store. They are quite similar to one another but the hybrid is slightly heavier and a little larger. The 14 way top on the hybrid is somewhat different with different organization of the dividers and a more square top with a plastic rim all the way around. The four 5 has thicker/better padding on the side against the body and a little amount of padding on the straps. My impression was that the four 5 was the variant designed to carry bag that would work quite well on a cart while the hybrid was the variant designed more as a cart bag that could also be carried.

Yeah that sounds right... the Hybrid bag looks like they threw legs on a cart bag... the Four5 is a carry bag they made fit well on a cart.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 6 months later...

It was the Four 5 vs the Ogio Recoil for me.  Recoil won on looks but would have been happy with the Four 5 too.

In my  :sunmountain: H2NO bag:

910 D3 (9.5° - A1 setting)

910 F-d (15° - A1 setting)

4DX (20°)

:mizuno: MP64 (4-6) MP69 (7-PW)

:mizuno: MP-T4 (50°), (54°), :callaway: Jaws (60°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

The newest version of the Four5 looks pretty awesome... it has a slot built in for a cart strap so that the strap goes under, rather than around the pockets. They have also rearranged some of the pockets. I'm kind of looking for a second bag for a second set of clubs and am trying to figure out a way to justify the $200 this one is gonna cost.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!