IGNORED

How do you describe feel?

Noonan1
Note: This thread is 4596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Sign language. Blind guy hasn't been blind his whole life deaf guy has been deaf since birth I think.

If you were talking about two scratch golfers who started off sighted and hearing, then each lost one the aforementioned sense and only one of them struggled that story might be relevant, but there are many reasons why a deaf person wouldn't be as good at golf, especially if his hearing problem is related to the inner ear where our sense of balance is located.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If you were talking about two scratch golfers who started off sighted and hearing, then each lost one the aforementioned sense and only one of them struggled that story might be relevant, but there are many reasons why a deaf person wouldn't be as good at golf, especially if his hearing problem is related to the inner ear where our sense of balance is located.

I wouldn't bother.  Let them make light of people with disabilities and tell everyone here how stupid they are.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

You can't describe feel, you have to experience it. One can of course try to describe feel by using the expressions of a group of people, but to the individual, feel can only be gained by doing it. It's like describing how it feels to touch a brick wall without really touching it. You can go a long way by describing similar feelings, such as touching a concrete wall, but it won't be exactly the same. Everything is about experience. If one player has played clubs that are similar in feel to a certain club, he can imagine how the club feels, based on his experience with similar clubs. Someone who has never played with similar clubs will have a harder time imagining the feel of it. Every description when trying to explain feel is based on the experience of the person you are talking to. If you were to describe the feel of touching objects to a person who has lived for 20 years, but never touched anything, he would not be able to.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got nothing to do with how good they are at golf. They both hit the ball about as well as each other. The blind one can still feel everything while the deaf one can't sorry you couldn't get that. I thought it was pretty plain.          If anything the deaf one's a little better he just has no idea what his contact was really like while the blind one knows exactly what his contact was like.                  And nobody's making light of anything, gresh. Golly gee whiz.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Got nothing to do with how good they are at golf. They both hit the ball about as well as each other. The blind one can still feel everything while the deaf one can't sorry you couldn't get that. I thought it was pretty plain.          If anything the deaf one's a little better he just has no idea what his contact was really like while the blind one knows exactly what his contact was like.                  And nobody's making light of anything, gresh. Golly gee whiz.

I guess my point was your anecdote doesn't prove a lot.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Why is everyone so serious, Its a matter of opinion. Both sides of the argument have stated this in previous posts. Where opinion is involved no one will come out on top, Unless it can be proved 100% for one side or the other then no opinion is more right or wrong than another.

The term agree to disagree comes to mind.

Btw phil i didn't lol at the fact that you know and play with a blind and a deaf guy and hopefully it didn't come across that way, i laughed at the remark made about the deaf guy not hearing the blind guy. Obv before we knew they could sign.

• Administrator

I've deleted nine or ten posts. Sorry, they weren't on topic anymore and weren't contributing value to the discussion. They were not necessarily over the line, but they were heading that way, and to what positive end? None that I could see.

Move on, boys, or as they say, "take it outside." (i.e. PM each other and fight in PMs if you want).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananarama

whats funny is that vibrations in your hand and vibrations in your ear will be the same, one just interprets then as sound and one as touch. The ear is more sensitive but the hands are closer and connected to the cause of vibration.

They're not the same, though. Similar, yes, but a) the sound of the ball is not transmitted up the shaft, and b) the vibrations caused at impact can be incredibly altered by the materials in the clubhead, shaft, and grip. The vibrations aren't the same.

Im sorry but I disagree again as they are the same, the sound/vibrations are always transmitted up the shaft - sometimes though they are not the majority of vibrations you feel though.  They are dampened by the grip and the materials of the club alter the speed of the waves and possible reflections/diffusion - the more dense the object the faster the waves are transmitted.  The vibrations wavelengths are the same, the amplitude might not be. Also note that there are many vibrations and they all interact together, they may add together or cancel each other out.

This also explains why you hit it thin the noise is loud and the feeling in the hands is intense as you have more vibrations, but if you hit it correctly the vibrations are reduced.  Google sweet spot on baseball or cricket bats or something if you dont take my word for it.

I am not disagreeing though about one knows by the sound if they have hit a good shot. I tend to also know by the feeling of the ball coming off the grass then hitting the ground, almost acting like a cushon rather than the feeling of straight into the grass or the blade into the edge of the ball

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Bananarama

The vibrations wavelengths are the same, the amplitude might not be.

That's the key point. I know that they're not the same wavelength. They're close - close enough that you might be calling them the same within a margin of error - because it's difficult to change them much in that short timespace, but they're not "the same."

Anyway, not really the topic, and despite about fifteen detours I'd like to get back to it. So, everyone, just answer the thread topic question: "How do you describe feel?" Have fun.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Question:  Is this based solely on the study you referenced earlier?  If not, what is the source of your assertion?  Seems that taking survey results from a limited group of golfers, then expanding it into a blanket statement is taking it to an extreme.

Here's an experiment:  Let's all wear earplugs or earbuds to our next range session.  If you are correct in your assertion, we should not be able to tell whether we hit a solid shot or not, because we won't be able to hear it.  I just don't buy it.  Maybe I'm different, but I can tell whether I hit a thin shot, one on the toe, or one on the sweet spot just by the feedback through my hands.

I did this once.  I was having tinnitus in my right ear from hitting too many drivers at the range, so I started wearing earplugs until it went away.  At the time, I was playing a Titleist 905R.  With earplugs, this club:

titleist_905r_face.jpg

Felt exactly like this club:

975j.jpg

I never noticed it until I put the earplugs in.  Go get an old titleist, hit a few drives, put some earplugs in and try the new ones.  I'd bet it will freak you out some.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Here's an experiment:  Let's all wear earplugs or earbuds to our next range session.  If you are correct in your assertion, we should not be able to tell whether we hit a solid shot or not, because we won't be able to hear it.  I just don't buy it.  Maybe I'm different, but I can tell whether I hit a thin shot, one on the toe, or one on the sweet spot just by the feedback through my hands.

Though Phil started to go in that direction, that's not the "feel" I'm talking about. That's the clubhead twisting and you can feel that twisting in your hands. That's not as much "sound." The "feel" I've talked about and with this post am done talking about is the difference in quality of irons or ball. The studies had nothing to do with mis-hits. I didn't understand Phil going in that direction and I want to be clear that I am not talking about mis-hits.

I can tell when I mishit a shot regardless of what's going on. I could be blind and deaf. That's not "feel" to me, but perhaps the thread was derailed right from the start since we didn't first define what we even meant by "feel."

Here's the Mason Dixon line for this conversation. Posts after this line will simply answer the question. It's not because of disagreements - start another thread if you want to discuss "how" we feel or something - but rather because this thread is simply gotten off topic. I share the blame in that, but this is my attempt to get it back on topic. Experience tells me it's too late, but prove me wrong, please. :-)

Note: This thread is 4596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!