IGNORED

Hybrid or Fairway Wood?

Note: This thread is 6085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am building my set of clubs and I currently have no hybrids or fairway woods. Are there any hybrids that can replace a 3/5 wood? Or am I better off buying the wood? I hit my low irons pretty well as I have game improvement irons that are very easy to hit, so I don't think I need the hybrid to replace them. Since this is my first "good" set of clubs I am also buying older equipment and my budget for this type of club is 100 or less. I only paid 116.00 for my driver brand new and I certainly would like to avoid paying more than that.

Burner
V Steel 15
3DX 20 Degree
MX-25 4-PW
MP-T 51, 56, 60 Karsten Anser E6+ Shox Golf Shoes

You can get a 2 or 3 hybrid which will play like a 5 wood. there are game improvement woods that are easy to hit aswell. Id probably start with a hybrid though since you're handicap is high, I here the Adams hybrids are terribly easy to hit. Along with their new Insight line of woods. I started out with no woods either just a 21* hybrid. I felt i needed a 5 and 3 wood to start reaching par 5's in 2 since the hybrid wasnt cutting it. I wouldnt worry about that just yet though.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

How about a 3 wood and a 18-20 degree hybrid to replace the 5 wood? Not sure you can get a hybrid to fully replace a 3 wood, although I imagine a 14 degree would come close if you don't like fairway woods.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Well my thinking was a hybrid would be a more versatile club that could be used in more situations and if it can come close to replacing a 3 or 5 wood then it would be very cost effective. At my skill level it may also be easier for me to hit the hybrid as opposed to the 3 wood.

Burner
V Steel 15
3DX 20 Degree
MX-25 4-PW

I am building my set of clubs and I currently have no hybrids or fairway woods. Are there any hybrids that can replace a 3/5 wood? Or am I better off buying the wood? I hit my low irons pretty well as I have game improvement irons that are very easy to hit, so I don't think I need the hybrid to replace them. Since this is my first "good" set of clubs I am also buying older equipment and my budget for this type of club is 100 or less. I only paid 116.00 for my driver brand new and I certainly would like to avoid paying more than that.

I started a thread, entitled " Substituting a three wood with a Hybrid," a couple of weeks ago that somewhat addresses your question, which you may wish to locate and read. A hybrid is generally easier to get in the air than the equivalent fairway wood. I recently substituted my 3 wood with a 16 degree hybrid. I hit the hybrid more easily more often and with more confidence than I did my 3 wood. I still have my 5 wood and my 7 wood in the bag. I replaced my 4 and 5 irons with the equivalent loft hybrids and I'm very happy with that move. Hybrids are just easier to hit from a variety of lies than traditional irons and fairway woods. Purists may scoff, but hybrids make golf more enjoyable for those of us that just can't practice as much as we should. I would suggest trying out a variety of hybrids, including last year's models of the Cobra Baffler, which are selling for around $119 with an Aldila NV-HL shaft. Also, the Callaway Heavenwood series of hybrids are discounted. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Depends what you want it to do. For me personally a wood because I can hit it low and shape them a bit better. When I hit a hybrid it goes too high and I can't bring the flight of the ball down.
THE SET

Driver - FT-5 Tour 9.5* w/ Matrix Studio 84g X Flex
3 Wood - X-Tour 15* w/ Matrix Studio 94g X Flex
5 Wood - X 18* w/ Matrix Studio 94g X Flex(3-9) - Forged MB TT Dynamic Gold X100 D4 weighted standard length and liePW - X-Tour Vintage 50* same shaft as aboveSW - X-Tour Vintage 55*...

Well I picked up a Taylormade Rescue Mid #2 for $99 at Golfsmith. It was one of the cheapest hybrids with a graphite shaft around. After hitting 20 or so balls at Golfsmith the good shots sounded so nice I decided to take a chance on it. I haven't hit it at the range yet much less played a round with it so the jury is still out on how well it performs in real situations.

A little off topic but when shopping around for clubs, Taylormade's, while always getting good reviews, seem to be reasonably priced on their older technology equipment. Perfect for a beginner like me.

Burner
V Steel 15
3DX 20 Degree
MX-25 4-PW

I've decided to use a 17* hybrid instead of a 3 wood, stays low and about the same distance for me. I'm more consistent with the hybrid than the 3 wood. I have a 13* 3 wood which may be part of the problem. I'm going to try to practice with a 15* 3 wood and see how that goes. Then go 15* 3 wood, 19* hybrid and a 24* hybrid. If I don't like the 3 wood I will go 17* hybrid and a 24* hybrid. I need the 24 for long par 3's. I can use the 17 as well on long par 3's or narrow fairways for accuracy. Thats just my opinion. I haven't been sold on that I need a 3 wood.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI
Adams A4 Hybrid Irons 3-LWRife 2 Bar Hybrid PutterSrixon Z Star XAdams Cart Bag

I've decided to use a 17* hybrid instead of a 3 wood, stays low and about the same distance for me. I'm more consistent with the hybrid than the 3 wood. I have a 13* 3 wood which may be part of the problem. I'm going to try to practice with a 15* 3 wood and see how that goes. Then go 15* 3 wood, 19* hybrid and a 24* hybrid. If I don't like the 3 wood I will go 17* hybrid and a 24* hybrid. I need the 24 for long par 3's. I can use the 17 as well on long par 3's or narrow fairways for accuracy. Thats just my opinion. I haven't been sold on that I need a 3 wood.

I have been hitting my new 3 wood substitute, a 16 degree hybrid, for a couple of weeks. I'm hitting it better, more consistently, more accurately and with more confidence than with the 3 wood. It sounds to me like you made a good choice. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Thanks. I see you have made the same choice as me. This weekend I was in a scramble we was 260-270 out, they used my ball which is unusual. I hit the hybrid about 200-210 and it rolled a long ways. We was about 20-30 yards from the green, I doubt I could do it again but once is better than none. They all hit 3 woods 2 of them mishit and one hit it good but went way right.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI

Thanks. I see you have made the same choice as me. This weekend I was in a scramble we was 260-270 out, they used my ball which is unusual. I hit the hybrid about 200-210 and it rolled a long ways. We was about 20-30 yards from the green, I doubt I could do it again but once is better than none. They all hit 3 woods 2 of them mishit and one hit it good but went way right.

If you can hit the hybrid thin, the ball will really run. On some par 4s, especially on narrow fairways, it makes sense to me to hit the hybrid instead of the driver.

I played a beautiful but hellishly difficult course this past Sunday. While sunny, this challenging course played even longer because of such strong winds ( this was from nature, not nachos ). I was hitting driver and the the 16 degree hybrid on many par 4s and every par 5. The good news is that I never lost a shot hit with the driver and hybrid. Of course, with the already glass like greens dried out from the effects of the wind, my shortgame was like a male chihuahua trying to mount a moose in heat: couldn't get near the hole!

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Thats good, a good laugh, I'm going to use that the next time I miss a shot.

I might on some par 4's just go hybrid-hybrid and hopefully putter.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI

Hybrid is prolly better for a wider variety of lies and situations. At least it has been that way for me....my 2 cents
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

I've heard of people getting away with replacing their 5 wood with a 2 or 3 hybrid, but I haven't been able to replicate that myself. In fact, I seem to be in the minority of people who simply can't hit a hybrid properly.

However, I can really crush the ball with me 3 and 5 woods - even out of the rough. It's not as hard as most people make it out to be...unless you're in some real cabbage. My two cents...get a 3 and 5 wood.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• 4 months later...
I bought a Adams RPM LP 5 wood and 3 wood for my wife in senior flex (Aldila NVS) but I tried them out at the course and loved them! Can't seem to hit a hybrid, (or my irons for that matter) but I'm rocking the 3 wood about 215 with very high 7-iron like trajectory and the 5 wood about 200. It's rather strange though, how high 3 17 degree 3-wood is getting the ball...

Grom Stand Bag
G5 9* Driver Stiff
G5 3 & 5 Woods Stiff
G5 22* Hybrid
X-20 5-PW Irons X-Tour 50*-11 & 54*-13 Wedge G5i Mini-C PutterUp Next 58*-11 PM Grind

I've got a brand new hybrid i got on saturday night.. one of the best clubs in my bag thus far IMO. I also have a 5 and 7 wood to give me more options off the tee.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5*
3W: r7 Draw 15*
2H: Slingshot Hybrid 17*
7W: Launcher Sport 22*
Irons: Launcher 5-PWGW: X-Tour 50*SW: SV Tour 56*Putter: Sabertooth 34"Ball: TaylorMade TP LD Red

Note: This thread is 6085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!