IGNORED

I just don't want to play a ProV1

Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

why dont u set and think and look through all balls on the market go into deep thought on wich one soots ur style of play better bye those tell no one what balls u use and get a permanent marker and draw a rectangle over the symbol on all the balls before u use them.

I just had to reply because I do the same thing.

I have played ProV1s and V1Xs before and they are great balls, the cover shreds a bit too much for me, but all in all great balls.

But I too choose not to play them because I want to be different and because I feel other companies top line balls offer the same performance and can sometimes perform better.

Right now I play the Srixon Z-Star in Tour Yellow, I definately have a different looking ball that performs, feels great, is durable, and I always know which ball is mine.

I lost a few balls yesterday.....and after the way I played probably two more.   But I did not notice a difference between the ProV, Bridgestone, Two Callaways and the Noodle...they all seemed to splash the same.

I've been playing Srixon lately.  I've actually played both the trispeed and the z-star.  Both are great, the trispeed is cheaper.  Feel great, good spin on approach.  Plus, I play in Minnesota with a lot of early spring overcast, so the bright yellow they've just released keeps me from loosing it in the clouds and having to watch the horizon line where grey meets green just to see the little white dot drop.

• 2 weeks later...

I refuse to 45 dollars for a box of golf balls.  Titleist won't accept discounts on their products so screw them...

I have played the nike one black and the nike one tour d balls for years.  Every year nike would come up with the current year version of the golf ball and I would buy last years model for 20-25 dollars and stock up.  I currently have 12 boxes of tour d's left.  I'm hoping nike will come up with another updated version so I can repeat this pattern.

I think playing the balls of your favorite player is great. Supporting the companies that sponsor your favorite players. Also, the ProV1 is a good ball, there's no denying that. I personally cannot tell a physical difference between the best Callaway, Bridgestone, Nike, or the ProV1 but usually I'd take the ProV if I had the choice. After all, if I don't know better, may as well take the one that most professionals consider to be the best. I don't agree with not using something just to be unique. I use ProV1X and they're pretty cool!

Originally Posted by RGoosen

Every year nike would come up with the current year version of the golf ball and I would buy last years model for 20-25 dollars and stock up.  I currently have 12 boxes of tour d's left.  I'm hoping nike will come up with another updated version so I can repeat this pattern.

I did the exact same thing, new ProV1X model this year bought them super cheap! They work great

I have a shoebox full of ProV1's that i've picked up - saving them for when I get better & can appreciate a tour ball.    Funny, I can feel the difference off the driver, but don't generate enough spin on wedges to feel much of a difference holding greens.    Besides, until they start making them in yellow, I'll never buy them anyways

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I play the ProV1 because I got a great deal on them. 20$/dzn closeout on the 2011 balls, so I picked up the last 8 boxes they had. Season started a month ago here, and im still on my first box. I lost four, 5 have been relegated to practice balls due to being beat up by regular use. I imagine that I will be playing these balls all season, with the odd sleeve of Penta's, because I picked up a box of them with my new bag last week. And no doubt I will buy a sleeve of other balls to try here and there. Plan on playing a Sleeve of Penta's when this box of ProV1's are gone, though i've been thinking I may try them tomorrow as wel l. Both are new balls to me for regular use. Last few years I played Callaways, Srixons (which I enjoyed), and Bridgestones. I notice a real difference around the greens, as well as when putting. But off the driver I only notice the diference with really cheap balls like Intech.

I think the ProV1 is a great ball, but no better than three or four others on the market. They are, however, overpriced, and I cannot bring myself to spend the extra money on when I can buy something just as good for less. I certainly believe there are folks out there who buy Titleist because of name rather than quality or fit. I think that is rather foolish. My only brand bias is anti-Nike, I will never buy anything with a swoosh on it simply because of their corporate culture and the money they pay the likes of Michael Jordan and Tiger, who is paying those billionaires? YOU, the NIKE customer.

Anyway, nothing wrong with Titleist but the cost, but they can get away with inferior or overrated product simply because of brand name. The NXT is junk.

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Have you played the Srixon Z-star??? I have. I like it…

I am loving this ball right now.

I play the Top Flite Gamer V2.  Look at the reviews- a three piece ball with spin and distance and less than $20.  I just bought six 15-packs (7 1/2 dozen) on Amazon for $81 delivered- $10.79 a dozen.  I'm set for a while.

So you dont like people to think you are elitist... hence you dont like playing with a Titleist? Is that basically it? Even though you know its a very good ball you cant bear for others to see you as a golfing snob? So you want a ball just as good or near as? But here's the rub... I think people who use Srixon or TM or Bridgestone or Callaway (the "tour' versions) are saying something like... "I am really a good golfer and I know superior stuff when I see it and if you are also a good golfer you will know I am a man of discernment because I am using one of these really good balls which dont cost as much - this should also tell you that i am a cheapskate so dont ask me to buy you a beer after the round". Something like that?

Originally Posted by Chanceman

So you dont like people to think you are elitist... hence you dont like playing with a Titleist? Is that basically it? Even though you know its a very good ball you cant bear for others to see you as a golfing snob? So you want a ball just as good or near as? But here's the rub... I think people who use Srixon or TM or Bridgestone or Callaway (the "tour' versions) are saying something like... "I am really a good golfer and I know superior stuff when I see it and if you are also a good golfer you will know I am a man of discernment because I am using one of these really good balls which dont cost as much - this should also tell you that i am a cheapskate so dont ask me to buy you a beer after the round". Something like that?

Not really a snob or elitist thing. I have plenty of stuff that says, "snob" to most guys. And it is not about money. Heck I play Iomic grips.  Driver, grips, irons... all could lead people to think I elitist. More of a wish not to be a lemming.

Since this post, I have been re-fitted for a ball by the Bridgstone guys and am trying to decide between the e6 and the RX. BTW, love them both in yellow and love being the only guy in my 4-some playing yellow. e6 is crazy long with my swing. In part because it lowers spin on long shots. But it also lowers spin on short irons and there are some times when rolling out is not desired. I like the way it feels on the greens better than anything since I first tried the old Pentas. The RX is almost as long, spins better into the greens, feels very nice on greens (better if greens are really fast). I play in a lot of wind each Spring and these balls bot perform excellently into wind.

I think my searching will be biased toward yellow for a while and these Bridgestones fit my 100MPH swing speed and, when hit well, create a nice penetrating flight. For me, better than proV's.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!