IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Played a round on the simulator yesterday. Club face control was non-existent lol. Literally all over the place, I even had a few where I would set-up with the face a good 15* open and managed to pull it 10* left. I really need to get some good feels sorted out to a least develop a consistent miss. Right now I'm like the guy on page 24 of LSW, hitting everything nice and solid but with just about every shot shape under the sun. Pulls, pushes, hooks both pulled, straight and pushed and even a few push slices (ahem...power fades)...

Work on some Clubface Control drills. Even with some AlmostGolf balls. Make the "goal posts" very narrow.

Goal post would likely only be 6-7 feet away. How narrow should I go at that distance?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Goal post would likely only be 6-7 feet away. How narrow should I go at that distance?

C'mon… narrow enough that you can hit it 75-85% of the time, but no more or less. Tighten it up as your skill improves.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...
Just hit a few buckets after about a two and half month layoff. Warmed up with about 20 balls just making half swings while concentrating on my feels. Was pleasantly surprised to find that I'm pretty much exactly where I was last season. Good shots are glorious, bad ones are a mix of pushes and pull hooks. My winter goal was to have at least 3 practice sessions a month but a new job and a shit-ton of travel sunk that boat. I'll probably have a LOT less time for practice and playing than I did in years past so it's even more important that I practice smart.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If you get near the Madison or milwaukee Wisconsin area shoot me a pm and we can get together for a round (of golf or beers). I don't know if you travel this way at all but the offers stands.

Yeah, not really my turf but if do get there I'll definitely drop you a line!
  • Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Working my little half swing pump drill. Getting back into the swing of things. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Top vid U pull straight down to start downswing U need to start with hip rotation That drops club inside Creates the pro lag Your swing has no lower hip turn imo

Agee, I am working getting hips more open.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Looks like I might have been over swinging a bit on the right. That would likely be a contributing factor to both my key 1&2 issues, getting a little out of sequence and having to struggle to pull it all back together on the DS.

Is it just me or you are straightening your back leg too much? What I did was I maintain some flexibility on my right leg (albeit lots less than left leg) and that "restricts" (just a feeling) my upper body so that I could not overswing.

[QUOTE name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/54175/my-swing-ernest-jones/1080#post_1086333"]   Looks like I might have been over swinging a bit on the right. That would likely be a contributing factor to both my key 1 width: 1093px; height: 480px"> [/URL] [/QUOTE] Is it just me or you are straightening your back leg too much? What I did was I maintain some flexibility on my right leg (albeit lots less than left leg) and that "restricts" (just a feeling) my upper body so that I could not overswing.

I sometimes straighten it too fast, which can be an issue, but I've never been told it's too much. I do however, like many people, overswing a bit. I try to control that via my arm feels as it's more a case of my arms travelling farther than my pivot rather than my pivot going too far. When I'm making nice and compact swings that don't let my arms travel that extra little bit I suspect my leg doesn't straighten quite as much but the leg itself hasn't really been the focus. I also maintain a better key#1 and inclination to the ground when I keep it shorter. Not to mention hit it cleaner and further. :doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• 3 weeks later...
So I was hitting hybrids on the sim, blocking everything to the right. Decided to try hitting a spot outside my target line, about a foot forward and six inches to the outside. Felt like I would block it even farther to the right but it actually either straightened out or curved back. Very weird feeling, every time I made contact I'd expect it to take off hard right but every time it was closer to online than not. Felt like my wrists were rolling over through impact but I wasn't trying to do that, just trying to make sure I swung OUT. - backswing thought is to keep the back of my lead hand facing the ball - slight pause at the top to refocus on my "outside" spot -swing through the ball towards that spot. Pronounced feel of swinging flatter/horizontally. Gonna run with these feels. Gotta get some film to see what's up but ball flight and direction is MUCH better with the longer clubs. Doesn't seem to be as necessary with 7iron and less.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on swinging to the right. Key#4 is my forever piece. :-O still using the thoughts/feels from the previous post. Contact's a little iffy. Pushed the heck out of this wiffle ball but pretty happy with the positions. From the top. Any thoughts?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator
Any thoughts?

Yes. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes. ;-)

Lol. Well I guess I have been the champion for brevity. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Yes.

Lol. Well I guess I have been the champion for brevity.

Some of the positions look good, but it is hard going from still to still.  Can you post the video?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Some of the positions look good, but it is hard going from still to still.  Can you post the video?

It was just a quickie on my phone. Already dumped it, was too long to keep. But spring is finally here!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Took these thoughts to the course on Sunday, first time out. Every tee shot on the front 9 was a pretty push draw, even the driver. Shot a 45 but it could have been sub 40 if the putting wasn't so rusty, left a lot of par puts +/-6" short. :censored:

Back 9 I lost it, back to dead blocks and a few banana slices. I figure I stopped swinging right, still had the thought but wasn't actually doing it, IOW became ball focused. Putting came roaring back though and my pitching was rock solid. Shot a 50 on the back with loads of penalties.

Still pretty encouraging to see that driver push out and then work back to the centre, I've never been able to do that before with the driver. If I can finish up early today I'll hit the range and focus on this. The drill I like is to place a second ball out to the right and try to hit them both. Visualizing the second ball works well too but actually having a second ball really forces you to commit.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Yes.

So here's a little sample of my practicing, trying to groove an inside approach, mostly by trying to swing over a spot outside of my target line. Mega push, but I don't care, just want to work on getting that inside approach to be reliable. Camera angle sucks, but it was windy as ****. Actually, my phone tipped forward from a gust around the 0:30 to 1:30 mark and then tipped back again from another gust so I edited it out.

Here's a range swing using the same feels and thoughts as my practice. Clubface control is shitty. BS too long for me, ****s up my key 1. Weight shift is sloppy too. For the most part I'm getting good contact and great trajectory (vertically speaking) but keys 4 and 5 are erratic as heck. I thinking that eliminating that last bit of arm travel to A4 will help a little...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!