IGNORED

newb would be a good term for me :-\

Note: This thread is 6946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

k, im 18 years old, getting ready to graduate high school. I am not good at golf, but ive been told by several people that i have talent, its just a matter of never playing. baseball was always my sport, i broke my right arm last year (i was right handed at the time, now somewhat ambidextrous), and it was broken so bad that ill never throw a baseball more than 20 or 30 feet..hard to keep up with varsity baseball when you can hardly throw from pitchers mound to a base, let alone across the field or diamond.

anyway, i'm getting back into golf, i played in 7th grade on the junior high team, and played alot with my grandpa when i was younger. i inherited my dads clubs, they're still his, i just use them because he never does. they're nothing special, lions is the brand i think, with a ping karsten anser 2i putter i got for my 14th birthday one year from my grandpa. with graduation coming up, i am certain i am getting a new set of clubs...as my mom told me dont do that, after i told her i was going to sell all my paintball stuff (ive got prolly a grand or two in it :() and buy golf clubs, because she said graduation is coming up and "well, that pretty much tells you what we want to get you...anything certain you like"

thats where yall come in, what are some good models, not really certain on a price range right now...i dont think i need anything amazing, but this is a set ill prolly play with for several years, my life possibly unless i get really into golf. i was looking at Callaways, Taylor Mades, and Adamss, just wondering what thoughts everyone had on ANY brand out there and what models and such

im about 6'3", anywhere from 180 to 200 pounds depending on time of month and my mood (ya, its weird), and am a pretty big guy overall, broad shoulders and such. should have played football... not sure if any of that is helpful, thanks alot in advance

Callaway Big Bertha Hawkeye 10*
Lions set 3, 5 wood, 3-PW
Ping Anser 2i

Soon to be Callaway Big Bertha Fusion woods, irons, and wedge(s)

that's a tough one. All the top brand are good (there is a reason why they're top brand!), Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist - can't go wrong with that. As far as which particular model to choose - if your handicap is around 36 as you listed in your profile - I'd recoomend one of these:

1. Callaway X-18
2. Taylor Made RAC OS

Either will give you what you need in the first year of "serious" play - forgiveness, where (IMHO) Callaway is a favorite. I'd leave Titleist alone for a year or two. Once you get a good handle on your swing and are willing to give up forgivenenss for workability - start looking that direction to upgrade (and don't forget my favorite Taylor Made RAC LT's and TP's!).

With your size - there is one MUST - GET THEM CUSTOMIZED. Most of the golf stores do it for free if you buy from them - you definitelly will need adjustment from "standard" length and lie.

Good luck
rafael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I think some of the Pings are the most forgiving for a guy just starting out, and their fitting system will get you an accurate fit.

Get a swing grooved and visit a fitter. Your parents, if they're buying you golf clubs, would be better off giving you a fitting appointment and a gift certificate to a golf store so that you can get the set that best suits you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i just started out on thsi forum and havent touched the handicap thing...36, i dunno...thats a bit extreme. i havent played a round of golf in several years. i always played baseball though, so my hand eye coordination is good. i figured id have to get them cut to my length too. as far as forgiving...ya, id like that, but i dont want something that has like a 2000 cc head either (a tad bit of exagerating there) thanks for all your help guys

keep the opinions coming, and throw some specific clubs my way...

ive heard ping and callaway for forgiving, titleist for workability...seems the RAC from taylor is good, i personally really liked they way they looked, as if that matter...

heres a brainbuster, if i wanted clubs in a black finish...doesnt matter about matte or satin or polished or anything, where would i look to?

thanks again everyone

Ping Anser 2i

Driver:
Ping G2 has reviewed very well... very forgiving club, with good distance. It is big (460cc) but a great club.
Callaway....
You should be looking for a 10.5 degree head as they will be a lot more forgiving than say, a 9 degree.

Fairway Woods:
Ping G2's.
Adams golf broke new ground with those a few years back and they remain a good option.

Irons:
Ping G2
Cleveland Launchers (someone here recently picked up a set),
Titleist's 804.OS

See Rafcin's suggestions above.

The best thing to do is get into a reputable golf shop and get fitted for clubs. You'll be looking for game improvement irons as they'll be more forgiving.

Thats my 2 cents.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

well the thing with getting a set of clubs that are forgiving, and then looking to upgrade later, i cant afford that...however, as its a graduation present, i can just get a really nice set now with no need to upgrade...i think is what you all are saying is its better to learn on a set that is more forgiving, and might not have as many control grooves in the face to help with accuracy so as to not accent slices and hooks, but...id rather just get somethin realy nice now and be set for a long time....

im looking into titleist and those ping g2s as we speak? anything else? i like the idea of looks too...which i dont think the titleist have in my open...seems like taylor made has the best looks by far...IMO

Ping Anser 2i

looking at taylor made R5 series woods and taylor made RAC CGB irons...any thoughts?

Ping Anser 2i

looking at taylor made R5 series woods and taylor made RAC CGB irons...any thoughts?

The CGB's sound like they perform well. They are CGB or Center of Gravity Back, which means that you're going to get a high ball flight which is good when trying to stick it on the green. They review well... Check out the following website:

http://www.golfreview.com/Irons/Tayl...4_2940crx.aspx Here are some driver reviews: http://www.golfreview.com/Drivers/Ta...1_2948crx.aspx Happy hunting!

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

wow....went and hit some clubs today, mainly a G2 Ping Driver and a R580 Taylor Made....gotta say i was more a fan of the G2. i didnt think it would look that good going by pix on the net, but in person, that thing is really pretty, especially with the blue on the back. incredibly light too i thought compared to the callaway bbs ive played with. im thinking those g2s arent looking too bad, another is the top of the line nikes. atleast those irons look good. and there is callaway irons, i think big berthas, that looked good too, next demo date is may 14, gonna try out some more then

Ping Anser 2i

Note: This thread is 6946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!