IGNORED

Best courses in Myrtle Beach?

cody west
Note: This thread is 4444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You want to play some of the finest tracks of golf in the MB area?

Caledonia

Glen Dornach

True Blue

Want an interesting links style course?

The Thistle

Want a very challenging mid range course?

The Witch (sweet course)

The Wizard

More budget friendly, but fun and well cared for, locals type of places?

Waterway Hills

Possum Trot

Crow Creek

-Dan

Sweet, thanks!

How hard are the first three courses you listed? I usually shoot in the mid to upper 90's and would love to try out one of those courses but not if its going to be too intimidating.

I am going to try and go play at least 4 rounds so I want to try and get a good variety. I see some good deals on 4 round packages online so I might go with one of them.

Originally Posted by JUDGE SMAILS

1.  Caledonia- simply the most beautiful course in MB

2.  TPC Myrtle Beach- A true championship course

3. The Dunes- awesome course with "private club" feel

I just booked our trip for July... $1175

We Play...

Sunday-  Fazio @ Barefoot

Monday-  Pawleys Plantation

Caledonia

Tuesday- Wachesaw East Plantation

TPC of Myrtle Beach

Wednsday- Tidewater

The Dunes

Thursday-  Grande Dunes

Preswick

....and fly home that nite!

damn that is a lot of golf!! i would be asleep by the time the plane took off. Prestwick is an interersting course. our group was split last year some loved it and others hated it. i thought it was great but it will kick you in the teeth if you aren't playing well. TPC is another great/tough golf course, the greens were the fastest of our trip last year.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Sweet, thanks!

How hard are the first three courses you listed? I usually shoot in the mid to upper 90's and would love to try out one of those courses but not if its going to be too intimidating.

I am going to try and go play at least 4 rounds so I want to try and get a good variety. I see some good deals on 4 round packages online so I might go with one of them.

Caledonia is not a hard course...certainly not a push over but it is my favorite course on the island and to be honest no others have threatened to unseat it. we play it twice every year...in our opinion it is that good.

True Blue is wide open fairways but if you miss them it is all waste area. i personally don't think this is a high HC course unless you are str8 short hitters. if you flail left or right it will be tiring.

I didn't care for Glen Dornock and never went back. i don't even recall why but it was removed from our list and has never been discussed to come back.

A fun fairly easy course if you are down south that should be considered is Willbrook plantation.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Here is our schedule for our annual Myrtle trip commencing on 4/28

4/28 - 18 @Shaftsbury Glenn

4/29 - 18 @ Legends Moreland / 18 @ Legends Parkland

4/30 - 18 @ Glenn Dornoch

5/1 - 18 @ Wild Wing

5/2 - 18 @ Legends Parkland (not thrilled with repeating a course we played 3 days earlier)

5/3 - 18 @ Myrtle Beach National, Kings North / 9 @ MBN South

5/4 - 18 @ Heather Glenn

Of the courses we have in the lineup for this year my favorite would be Kings North.  I do like the Glenn courses too and am glad to see them back in the rotation this year.  The Legends courses are great and since we always stay in the Legends condo's, we usually play a couple rounds there during the week.

Other courses mentioned that I like are Willbrook Plantation, TPC Myrtle, True Blue, and Grande Dune.  Not a big fan of the big cat courses (Lions Paw, Tigers Eye, etc) - They were in pretty poor shape when we played there last year.

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

Caledonia is not a hard course...certainly not a push over but it is my favorite course on the island and to be honest no others have threatened to unseat it. we play it twice every year...in our opinion it is that good.

True Blue is wide open fairways but if you miss them it is all waste area. i personally don't think this is a high HC course unless you are str8 short hitters. if you flail left or right it will be tiring.

I didn't care for Glen Dornock and never went back. i don't even recall why but it was removed from our list and has never been discussed to come back.

A fun fairly easy course if you are down south that should be considered is Willbrook plantation.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.  I really want to play Caledonia because almost everyone I have asked has recommended it. There was a package I was looking at that included a round at True Blue, Caledonia, and a few other courses that looks pretty nice.

I played Thistle in the fall, and it's a great course.  I absolutely loved it there.

Played at Wild Wing, and it was a pretty relaxing round.

The animal population at TPC makes it an enjoyable round.  We had those huge squirrels stealing food out of our carts and walked up on a gator on a tee box.

King's North is a decent course, but it's not in my "Must play" list anymore.

Cheaper Courses:

Aberdeen Country Club

Myrtle Beach National South Creek

Myrtle Beach National West

River Oaks

Waterway Hills

Diamond Back

Beachwood

Black Bear

Eagle Nest

Azalea Sands

MyrtleWood

River Hills

Possum Trot

and many more for under $50 a round.  At this time of year, you can play decent courses for $35 or so.  Even in peak season, if you play before 8:15 in the morning, you get significant discounts on the golf.

I just looked up our package for this summer.  We had to keep it cheap this year, so we aren't playing many of the Premier courses.  We limited to a single good course this year, and Thistle is always on our "must play" list. This package came up to $240 per player and is in peak season at the beginning of May:

May 6th, 8:14:  Waterway Hills

May 7th 8:10:  Wild Wing Avocet

May 8th 9:00:  Thistle (Could have played TPC for $20 more)

May 9th 8:14:  Myrtle Beach National West (Could have chosen Blackmoore or MBN SouthCreek for the same price)

If you have make a trip to MB and dont play Caledonia at Pawley's Island than you have completely missed the jewel of the region.  It is consistently ranked by the "experts" as well as the players reviews.  It is worth the trip by itself!

The TPC is also nice, but it is like every other TPC and there are so many courses with character in the area.  I like the Dunes course as well.

One that I always enjoyed (although be it, I have not played it in a few years) is Pine Lakes, referred to as the Grandaddy of the Grand Strand.

We have recently book our Myrtle golf trip for 2012. Last year we played all the Legends courses, but could find a deal this year. So we decided to change is up a bit. Our trip is planned for May 16-20. We will leave Wednesday morning about 2am and drive down, and return on sunday morning. Our schedule is as follows:

May 16: Find course for good price on golf buddy on drive down, then golf 18 (27 depending on time)

May 17: 18 @ Aberdeen Country Club. 18 @ Kings North

May 18: 18 @ Long Bay. 18 @ Waterway Hills

May 19: 18 @ Wild Wing Avocet

All the golf and a 3 bedroom condo, for our party of 4. The price is $450 per person (including gas money from Ohio)

Driver - Ping G15

3 Wood - Taylormade V-steel

5 Wood - Cleveland Launcher

4 Hybrid - Taylormade Burner

Irons - 5-PW Callaway X-18

Wedge - Golden Bear 56*

Putter - Odyssey 2-ball SRT

Originally Posted by LRMgolf

We have recently book our Myrtle golf trip for 2012. Last year we played all the Legends courses, but could find a deal this year. So we decided to change is up a bit. Our trip is planned for May 16-20. We will leave Wednesday morning about 2am and drive down, and return on sunday morning. Our schedule is as follows:

May 16: Find course for good price on golf buddy on drive down, then golf 18 (27 depending on time)

May 17: 18 @ Aberdeen Country Club. 18 @ Kings North

May 18: 18 @ Long Bay. 18 @ Waterway Hills

May 19: 18 @ Wild Wing Avocet

All the golf and a 3 bedroom condo, for our party of 4. The price is $450 per person (including gas money from Ohio)

Have you played Long Bay before?  It's a beautiful course, but HARD for a mid-high handicapper.  I think I shot a 116 or something crazy like that there.  I've played all of them on your list, you'll have a good time, but don't get too irritated at Long Bay.  It's hard for no other reason than just to be difficult.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

Have you played Long Bay before?  It's a beautiful course, but HARD for a mid-high handicapper.  I think I shot a 116 or something crazy like that there.  I've played all of them on your list, you'll have a good time, but don't get too irritated at Long Bay.  It's hard for no other reason than just to be difficult.

No I have not played Long Bay. The only one I have played on the list is Kings North. I have looked them all up and they seem like good courses. I cant wait to go. I am ready for the challange of a hard course. I guess the good part is, I know im not that good of a golfer, and I play just to have fun no matter how bad im playing. But thanks for the heads up. I will pass the information onto the other guys in the group.

Driver - Ping G15

3 Wood - Taylormade V-steel

5 Wood - Cleveland Launcher

4 Hybrid - Taylormade Burner

Irons - 5-PW Callaway X-18

Wedge - Golden Bear 56*

Putter - Odyssey 2-ball SRT

I have been to the area over a dozen times in the past dozen years. You are getting a lot of good advice. I am a little partial to the South end of the strand. I have found great value staying in the True Blue condos. We have stayed there several times and always enjoy playing Caledonia, True Blue, Pawley's Plantation, TPC, and Heritage when staying in that area. If you want roomier condos stay at Pawley's Plantation. Should you choose to travel to Central MB or North MB don't miss Tidewater or The Dunes. I rank Myrtle Beach golf as follows:

1- Caledonia

2- The Dunes

3- Tidewater (if you catch it in great shape it could be #1)

4- Heritage (great course/great value)

5- TPC

6- Pawley's Plantation (holes 12-18 are as good as you'll find)

7- True Blue

Avoid Barefoot courses. I played these when they first opened years ago, and they were really good. Conditioning has really slipped over the years, and we don't go there anymore.

Note: This thread is 4444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!