IGNORED

Your pre-shot routine..

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 6195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always take a few loose swings behind the ball (never beside) facing the target. Pick my spot and try to focus on nothing but that spot (also behind the ball). Address the ball, staying loose over the shot means a few waggles to get my grip where I want it, aswell as getting the feel for footing by rocking back and fourth. Lastly I try to keep my take away low and slow.. then pull the trigger.

You?

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I usually stand behind the ball and just look for a divot mark or something that's in line with the target, and quite close to the ball, then I stand by the ball, take 2 swings beside it, then aim towards the divot, and take my shot, and hopefully it comes off good.

In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I get my yardage while driving to the ball,park the cart to the right and behind the ball pull my club walk behind the ball pick a line and hit, in the rough I take one practice swing than hit. I carry the the club and put it back in the bag when I get to the next shot or green.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Im a waggler. I jiggle my feet and the club back and forth. I look at my target and try to aim properly, Which i cant. Im starting to step behind the ball now and i also choose something infront of me in line the the green to make as a target.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I line up, put the club in my left hand and point at my target before addressing the ball properly. Sometimes I'll grind my shoes in the grass like a bull getting ready to charge. I'll take one, maybe two practice swings, and then lay into the ball. The last thing I think of when I'm within 200 yards is "Get in the hole", however unlikely that really is. On the tee box, I'm thinking "Crush it" all the way.

Time taken, 30 seconds, tops.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I stand behind the ball and pick out my target. I take a slow, on plane, exaggerated swing - and then a nice smooth one.

I walk up to the ball, set the club face, then my stance, do a couple waggles and then swing.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Take two practice swings either next to or behind the ball, step behind the ball, pick an intermediate target, address the ball and hit it, about 30 seconds, although sometimes if my practice swings feel off, I may take a couple more.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Stand about 5 feet behind the ball. Take one very slow practice swing with my feet together to kind of get that "smooth" feel (or at least TRY to get the smooth feel). Pick an intermediate target, address the ball, align and swing.

I'm more of a just get my yardage and get up and hit it. After the first hole or two I don't take many practice swings, don't see the point as long as I am loose. I am working on a better shoulder turn and narrowing my stance a little so maybe I'll take an semi takeaway but generally I just hit it. Of course I need to get better at alignment. I too often look at the pin and end up short siding myself.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• Administrator
I like this thread.

My pre-shot routine (I'm assuming I've chosen the club and the type of shot already, gotten the yardage, assessed the lie, etc.) is pretty straightforward.

From behind the ball, I'll take a few practice swings at a very slow pace, exaggerating any of the special moves I might want to make (i.e. holding off the clubface for a cut, leading with the grip to punch something, etc.). Rehearsal swings, and not even full swings... just through the hitting area usually. Sometimes on a "normal" shot I'll brush the grass just to feel the length of the club.

I pick a spot a few feet in front of the ball, I walk around from the left. I tug up my left sleeve, left collar, and right sleeve with my left hand, holding the club up in the air with the right hand on the grip. I'll set the club behind the ball, grip it, and step into my stance while looking at the target.

I'll waggle twice while looking at the target, look at the ball, and set the club down behind the ball. Then I waggle and set the club down twice before a final waggle. I'll slowly lower the club and, when it meets any resistance (the ground or whatever) or is at the proper height (teed up ball, usually), I'll start my backswing.

From the moment I step forward from the rehearsal swings (which I'll often do while someone else is hitting), it takes about 11 or 12 seconds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
1) I never take a practice swing - unless it's on a partial, or 'touch' swing.
2) I stand behind the ball and envision the shot - picking a target.
3) I grip the club, and fixture my body square to the target and at a proper distance from the ball (I have a little trick to do so, but it'd take way to long to describe it).
4) I spread my feet to properly align the ball within my stance for the shot - fore and aft.
5) Before I actually address the ball, I stand a bit more upright, and STARE down the target and envision my follow-though running straight down the target line post-impact. This is the biggest part of my routine and I might spend a full 4-5 seconds doing so. I guess I waggle the club a bit over the ball at this point - but I'm not looking at the ball.
6) Lastly, I get into my swing posture, address the ball, and take my swing ASAP. I don't like to hover over the ball too long - if I've done my whole pre-shot routine properly, the take away comes easily and naturally.

The whole routine takes about 20-25 seconds and works well for me. Sounds like there's a lot to it, but it flows along pretty naturally for me.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

I rarely take a practice swing; if I ever do it's on the first hole or two but after that I don't. Well, that's not entirely true. I also take a few hacks in the bunker to get a feel for the firmness of the sand. Kidding!!

I pretty much look at where I want the ball to end up, I grip the club in my left hand and make sure I'm comfortable with that, I step up to the ball with my eyes still on the target, I address the ball still only holding the club with my left hand, I set my feet and place my right hand on the club, I usually adjust my grip once (more out of habit than actually accomplishing anything) and I finish with a quasi-Chris DiMarco backswing check (I don't take it as far back as he does nor do I look back at the clubhead).

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Once I've pulled a club from my bag:

1. Walk backwards from the ball about 10 steps keeping eyes on my target.
2. See the shape of my intended shot.
3. Hold up club and select an intermediate target for alignment.
4. Walk in to the ball and tug right sleeve.
5. Take one 3/4 practice swing.
6. Address the ball, double check alignment.
7. Waggle, look at the target, pull trigger.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

After i have picked my club, here is what i do:

1. Walk behind the ball to get my line.
2. Once I have my line i walk straight up to the ball on that line (usually 2 or 3 steps.)
3. Step to the left side of the ball and ground my club.
4. Take my grip.
5. Check my line.
6. Take a deep breath.
7. Swing

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

I get my club. Pick a spot 1-2 feet in front of the ball that is in my line. Address to the spot, think "get through the ball stupid", and then walk around to the ball and hit it. Needless to say, I can't stand slow play!! The only time I take a practice swing is if we have sat on the box waiting for the guy that waggles 14 times before he hits the power hook into the pond. I played for several years in Japan and most over there think a 6 hour round is OK. They even give you a tee time for hole 10 after you finish on 9 (usually an hour or so).

I always tell new folks that take 4-5 practice swings that if they shoot 100, they have swung the club at least 250 - 300 times. And they wonder why they are sore the next day.

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

1. pull up beside the ball with a sideways e-brake slide and slam the rest of my beer.
2. belch
3. look for a yardage marker and pull out the appropriate club.
4. approach the ball and take a couple practice swings. these will mostly just create divots and get my club face caked with dirt.
5. plant my feet and glance up at the flag one last time.

1. Look for yardage/pull out club.
2. Take two practice swings next to the ball
3. Go behind the ball, pick out a target.
4. Get over the ball look at my feet, making sure they aligned. Do the waggle once and look up to see if I'm aiming towards my target.
5. SWING DA CLUB.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 6195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!