IGNORED

Am I the biggest guy here?

Norm66
Note:Β This thread is 6196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'm 6'-3" and weigh in at about 360, down from my heaviest of 389. I wasn't so heavy until about 5 years ago when I quit smoking and gained close to 100 lbs, but I've always been big. I've taken to golf primarily because it's extremely fun and challenging, but also because it's the first form of exercise (believe me, at over 300lbs walking 18 or even 9 holes is a workout) that's held my interest for any length of time at all. The golf takes up the part of my mind that got bored with just walking around or riding a bike. I was playing with an old-timer in a cart one day and he told me he was 70 and quit walking years ago. I told him I was 35 trying to get to 70 so I was walking. hehehe

In 7 months of golfing I've only run across one guy who was close to my size (maybe a little shorter, but bigger around than me) on the golf course and he wasn't bad at all. I did talk to one guy who claimed to have lost over 200 lbs by golfing, but he was down to under 250 when I met him.

I know this forum is mostly populated by serious (and therefore probably athletic) golfers, but are there any other folks like me around? If so, chime in with whether you walk or ride a cart, how long you've been playing, what your average score is etc.

My average was 98-100 during the winter with the tees moved up (women's, men's and blue tees all together), now that the tees are moved back to their normal locations I'm shooting on average 102-105. I plan on getting my first real PGA Pro lesson next week.

anyone?

I nowhere near that, but i was just wondering with all the weight put into the swing do you have a powerful swing? How far can you drive? I know its not totally based on how big you are. And i dont mean to be mean at all, but all the Long Drive Competitors are big and im just wondering if you can drive far also.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5Β°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15Β°
5 Wood: r7 19Β° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60Β°Wedge: Z TP 54Β°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm 6'-3" and weigh in at about 360, down from my heaviest of 389.

Over the winter, I'd spent the better part of three months in and out of hospitals (reaction to...ibuprofen, of all things) and they had me on these really cheap steroids. I've always been a big guy, too, at 6 foot 4, but I gained almost 50 lbs while on these steroids, putting me at almost 310. Now, I'm working out five times a week plus playing as much golf as possible to work it off. Walking back and forth from the cart path is more than enough of a workout; I don't even want to fathom walking the course at this point. Is my game bad now? Wait until I've walked 10 miles with golf bag on my back. (Normally, 5 miles, but not the way I play...I find my way into every patch of cabbage, sand trap, and gulley possible).

At some point, when I get in better shape, and I pick a day that isn't blazing hot, I'll start walking 9 holes. This is my third year of really taking golf to any degree of seriousness (I've had clubs for years but only played a few rounds a year), but the first year that I'm really rolling with the game, getting out playing a lot, getting lessons, etc. Score-wise, I'm very erratic--I'm prone to racking up 9's and 10's when I hit consecutive shots out of bounds. I've shot as low as 38 but as high as 63 for 9 holes. I average in the high 40's, normally.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Right there with ya. I am 6'6" and weigh about 340. I use to be on the thinner side, but bulked up when playing division 1 football as a lineman, and never lost the weight.

My current goal is to get down to about 275, where I will still be large but will not have a gut hanging over my belt.

As far as golfing goes, I have never really been all that good. I started right out of college and my game suffered from playing clubs right off the shelves. After 3 years of topping the ball, I got a set that were extended and I saw improvements. I was great off the tee and horrible with the irons, so I would live at the range hitting irons shots all day long. Eventually my iron play became really solid but my tee shots were spraying all over.

Eventually life caught up to me, and marriage along with 3 kids, put my game on hold. Now my oldest is turning 7 next week, and he just loves golf. For the past 9 months we have been to the range at least once a week. We will becgoing out and playing at the local exec course for the first time this weekend.

With my sons interest in golf, I see it as an opportunity to finally rededicate myself to get my handicap in a respectable level. My swing is pretty solid, I usually throw strokes away around the green and typically am hitting 3 from the tees cause my first drive is in the woods.

Consistency is really what my game lacks. So that is my goal this year. I can shoot either a 85 or a 115, just depends how the driver is working.

As far as walking goes, I prefer to walk. I even went out and bought a push cart so I can walk more, I have a hard time carrying a bag 18 holes. Shoulders are in just bad shape from playing football for 17 years. I just find it hard these days to find a walker friendly course in my area, most enforce cart use, as if it speeds up play when it is cart path only LOL.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

I just find it hard these days to find a walker friendly course in my area, most enforce cart use, as if it speeds up play when it is cart path only LOL.

One of the primary reasons courses aren't "walker friendly" is the course owners want to make zillions of dollars on cart rentals.

I lived about 40-45 miles north of Fredericksburg for many years and have played several courses in the F'Burg area (Meadows Farms, Lee's Hill, The Gauntlet, Augustine, Fawn Lake, Shannon Green [RIP - was where Central Park is now] & etc.) and don't recall seeing a single F'Burg area course that is "walker friendly". In the unlikely event you can get to any of the Northern Virginia Region Park courses (Pohick, Algonkian, Brambleton) or Fairfax County courses (Greendale, Twin Lakes Oaks Course, Twin Lakes Lakes Course), they are "walker friendly" even on weekends and I seem to remember the Prince William Golf Course was "walker friendly". Probably too long of a drive for you, although I do have a bud in Spotsylvania who does frequent those course. (Well, except Prince William).

I'm 6'2", and the 1st of January I was 291 pounds. I am now at 243 and still losing. I don't really work out except to play golf and take an occasional walk around the lake in the park back of my house (2 miles from the time I leave until the I step back inside the gate). I have been on a solid diet plan though, and it's the first one that's ever actually worked.

I think that being big is more of problem from a stamina standpoint than swing. It shouldn't preclude you from being able to learn the game, and play well if you work at it. Losing some of the weight will definitely help you to enjoy the game (and other aspects of your life) a lot more though.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cool, so I am the biggest guy (if not the tallest) so far then. hehehe

Dent- Sure I can swing hard, but no, I'm not a very big driver. I can only hit the fairway if I concentrate on slowing my swing down and not put any oomph into it (when I do, it's a slice to the next fairway over). A really good 3-wood drive for me is 220 with my average being closer to 190-200. I'm hoping some lessons will tighten up my swing to the point I can put some power to it and increase distance without sacrificing too much accuracy. My driver goes a few yards longer, but I'm only using it on two or three holes that are exceptionally wide open.

Lamebuns- A reaction to ibuprofen bad enough to hospitalize? What a drag. Glad you're getting over it.

When I first started walking last Fall, I was able to walk 9 holes, but that was pretty much it for the day. Now I can walk 9 holes, go home cut the grass, clean up around the house and still be some good to my wife that night. I can walk 18 holes now, but it's still a really good workout for me, especially if not too slow and my heart rate stays up instead of slowing down waiting on tee boxes & fairways.

I guess I'm lucky that even though I live in West Virginia, the closest course to my house is pretty walker-friendly. It's got some elevation changes, but nothing too steep. It and a short 9-hole course about 15 miles away in Ohio are the only places I'd consider walking around here due to the hills.

Snowman- I played O-line in HS (college aspirations, but not fast enough) and never quit eating like a lineman even though I was working out like a college student (12 ounces at a time, many repititions) so I can relate (other than the skill to play Div. I ball of course). I'd love to get down to 275 myself. I'd still be big, but it'd be a 'good big' you know? hehehe

I not only feel better when I walk, but I definitely play better walking for some reason. I like to carry my bags, but an early-season back injury has me using a pull-cart for now. I hope to get back to carrying by mid-summer. Though I'm willing to pull/push the clubs if that's what my back will allow. Gotta stay healthy cuz no exercise gets done when the back hurts.

Fourputt- I agree it's more of a stamina issue than a swing issue, but I can't help but think I could swing better with less of my own mass to get moving.

thanks for the replies guys,
Norm

QQQ - I moved down to Fredericksburg from Upper Montgomery Co MD about 2 years ago. So I have not yet had the chance to explore the entire area, but will start looking north of here. The exec course that I am taking my son to is in Alexandria, so I do not have issues with driving a while to get to a course. I guess my limit would be in the 90 minute range. Thanks for the info and I will definitely look up the courses you mentioned.

Fourputt - Congrats on your weight loss, that is an impressive amount for just over 4 months. I have been on and off diets for the past 4 years, while seeing great progress something would always come up and I would wind up off my diet. For the past 2 years, I have been finishing the 1500 square foot basement in our house, and my body took a beating so I use comfort foods to ease my aching body. Hanging the sheetrock on the ceiling by myself, really killed my shoulders. But the carpeting gets installed tomorrow, and that will complete that project.

I started back on my diet May 1st, hoping to drop significant amounts of weight so I look presentable on the course. So what diet regimen are you doing that has allowed you to drop your weight?

Norm - I definitely play alot better when walking also. I just feel rushed when I hit the shot, jump in a cart, zoom down the fairway to my ball, just to hit it again. Walking allows me to take the time to survey the hole, think about course management, read the green after my approach shot. Its also gives me time to collect myself after a bad shot.

You will definitely see a big improvement as you lose some weight. Your swing will smooth out nicely as you have less and less weight to transfer during your swing. Yet you will be use to have the extra weight on you, so the transferring of your weight will naturally speed up, being your body has less mass to move.

LOL there has to be more than 4 of us "big guys" on this forum, I see plenty of us on the course. Maybe we should start a monthly "Big Man Golf" thread for a place for us to offer support each other.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

The plan is called Slim4Life, but unfortunately they only have centers in Denver and in Minneapolis at the moment. They have a website if you want to look it over, but that's about all I can offer. Sorry. It's great plan though.

Rick

I am 5'8", and up until 2 years ago, I weighed around 150. I quit smoking and puffed up to 187. Now with the diabetes and new diet, I can see I am losing some of the "Pregnancy Pouch" I had developed in the front. I am hoping to get back to the 150 to 160 range by summer's end.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Β 

Congratulations. That's great!

I initally set my goal at 230, but I may modify that once I get there. Just have to see when it happens...

Rick

I am one of the taller guys on here at 6'4" pretty close to 6'5". I do only weigh 170 but that isn't by choice. I can't put on weight at all. 6 months of weight lifting only put on 5 lbs.

But i've been playing for about 7-8 years now. I prefer to walk. Your just much more with nature and its much more enjoyable. Plus its nice to be able to take your entire bag anywhere on the course with you. I tend to ride carts often though because all my friends do and i do it just so i can keep up with them. I've been shooting in the high 90's but i think one of the problems is the clubs were way to small. I just ordered a new set that were fitted for me.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

I am 6' 7" and I fluctuate between 295 and 303 lbs. I would really like to get down to 225lbs. I have been there before and it was great. Unfortunately I have spent most of my adult life (I am 34) at 250-300 lbs.

Kudos to Fourputt on the weight loss.

Thrdroc...if you want some of my weight, I would be glad to pass it along to you.

I'm 6'8" but you guys have me beat on the scale. I am down to 238. It's actually the first time I have been under 240 since last Summer. I peaked at 253 this winter.

The crazy thing is that I am an Exercise Physiologist and the General Manager of two health clubs. Unfortunately, my schedule can greatly limit my workouts. Fortunately, I know enough to keep myself somewhat in line with my eating. I love food. Sweets, salty, anything. My job is pretty active half the time. I personal train about 25 hours a week, but the rest is desk stuff.

Here's my input and for what it's worth my background. I have a Masters in Exercise Science and a Bachelores in Health and Fitness. I have been running clubs, teaching nutrition and doing personal training for 14 years.

Diet: Nutrition is by far the hardest and most important part of the equation. You need to get it right several times each day. Exercise you only need to get right 3-5 times each week. Try to drink 1/2 your ideal body weight in fluid ounces of water daily. Also, try to take in 1/2 your ideal body weight in grams of protein daily. For example. If your ideal weight is 200 then you drink 100 oz of H2O and eat 100g of protein each day. You should not eat more than 40g of protein in one sitting. A chicken breast is about 25-30. Try to eat as many vegetables as you can in one day. However, limit your intake of corn and potatoes. Try to eliminate sugars and starchy carbs like bread and pasta after 4 PM. They are good sources of energy, but if the calories are not used quickly, they will store as fat. Chose whole grains for breads and cereal. Eat 3 servings of fruit daily, but again limit it to before 4 PM. Limit your dairy to 1% milk or lower and use low fat yogurts and cottage cheeses. Stay away from luxury calories like gravy, cream sauces and heavy salad dressings. Get your protein from chicken, fish and turkey. Egg whites and soy are also great.

Exercise: Try to do 3-5 days a week of cardio. Aim for 30+ minutes at 75% of your max Heart Rate (220-age). Try to do 2-3 days of resistance trainig weekly. It can be on the same day as your cardio. Do 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps for big muscles like chest, back and legs. Do 2 sets of 12-15 for smaller muscles like triceps, shoulders and biceps. Use the heaviest weight you can handle with GOOD FORM. Don't be affraid to increase the weight. You will not build big muscles this way.

Let me know if you need any help. I will gladly put together a program for any Sand Trap members free of cahrge.
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I'm 6'0 and 249 down from 265 two weeks ago. I'm very muscular (not bragging) so not too bad a gut. I too had put it on after quitting smoking. I've also found out I'm a diabetic but can control it with diet and no pills or insulin. I'm going down to 230. My perfect "playing" weight. And if you want to lose weight just quit drinking soda (water instead), no white bread, potatoes or white rice (starchs) and no sugar. It will melt off you, guaranteed!!

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5ΒΊ with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5ΒΊ with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20ΒΊ & 23ΒΊ with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56ΒΊ wedgeInazone B...

Note:Β This thread is 6196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!