IGNORED

What ball will suit me???

Note: This thread is 4433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

About myself. I have been golfing on and off for the last 4 years. At the end of last year I got out a bit more and started to really realize how much I enjoy being out on the course and golfing in general. So now I have decided to start playing golf a bit more consistently, paying more attention to the finer points. I have gotten a new set of clubs professionally fit, and I never realized how many things can be adjusted on a golf club to suit an individual! Quite impressive. So since I am getting equipment and have been researching practice drills, and reading up about the science of ball flight, club loft, lie and so on. I would like to figure out which ball best suits my style of play. Now from reading I would like something that has some spin and feel for around the greens as well as for putting. Distance from my drives is important, but from my understanding most balls out now are relatively competitive. My club head speed with a driver is approx. 97 - 98 mph and with a 6 Iron about 86 - 87 mph. I tend to pull the ball slightly with a bit of a fade that can progress into a slice if I get sloppy. (bad habit of swinging from outside to inside across the ball) So now I am putting together a list of different balls I can take out for practice to get the appropriate feel. So far in my list: - Titleist ProV1x - Titleist ProV1 (although I have heard they are extremely high spin) - Taylormade Penta (being a 5 layer ball they sound really good) - Callaway HX tour Does anyone know of some balls that I should definitely try? Sorry about dragging this on so long, and if anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer anything I am capable of! Mitch

I would not recommend the ProV1X for your swing speed.  I would recommend taking a look at the Bridgestone Tour B330 RX line.  They are designed for players with swing speeds of under 105 mph

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

I would not recommend the ProV1X for your swing speed.  I would recommend taking a look at the Bridgestone Tour B330 RX line.  They are designed for players with swing speeds of under 105 mph

Thans mvmac, these are the kinda things that I need to know!  Is the ProV1X a higher compression ball? Therefore requiring a higher swing speed to become more effective?  I will have to check out the Bridgestone Tour B330 RX balls.. I have read them recommended a couple times now.

Mitch

what would happen if you played v1x with a speed under 100mph?

In bag(15 years old on budget):

Driver- Taylor Made Burner 09

3 Wood- Dunlop Loco

3 Hybrid- Walter Hagen AWX

4,5 Hybrid- Nicklaus Polarity

6-SW- Nicklaus Polarity Irons

Putter- Top Flite

Balls- Callaway War Bird

@Rednax1530: I'd suggest trying the Titleist NXT Tour, Srixon AD333 (think this is now Q-Star) or Bridgestone B330-RX as mvmac suggested. Also remember to work the ball backward from the tee. Putting is the primary feel required, then chipping, pitching, irons, woods and finally driver.

@buckeyekid1996: The impact between club and ball would not create enough compression on the ball to get the best distance for you.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

First of all, don't buy a dozen of anything.

Get three ball sleeves of 2-3 balls of interest.

Play 9 holes with each ball, then another ball on the back nine.

You will quickly see what suits your game.

Some suggestions...

Srixon Q star, straight ball, but lacks spin around the green. Good solid ball that is long off the tee.

Callaway's new Hex Chrome, new offering I heard great things about, got some myself the other day.

Titleist NXT Tour S, best $25-30/dozen ball I have ever played. Soft off the irons, good spin around the greens, and love the feel on the putter.

Srixon Z-star. Best ball I have played, but more expensive than others listed here. Great all around ball.

-Dan

I would love to get your thoughts on gg's golf ball selector . I think it's a great idea in theory, but there are so many variables to consider when trying to find the best golf ball for the player. How accurate is it? Are there any questions not be asked that should be? Are there any ways to make more usable or accurate?

• Upvote 1
See you on the course.

Thats a pretty cool program. I think it would be good at least to give you an idea of the balls you should try out anyway! Thanks for that link!

Mitch

Originally Posted by Danattherock

First of all, don't buy a dozen of anything.

Get three ball sleeves of 2-3 balls of interest.

Probably a stupid question here but aside from the odd ebay ad, I never see balls in anything less than a full dozen.   Where can a guy purchase them by the sleeve?

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Do you have a large retail golf store in your area (Golf Galaxy, PGA Tour Superstore, etc)?  If so, I'd recommend a ball fitting.  Typically, it's only 20 or 25 dollars.  You'll hit 8-10 drivers in the fitting bay, with the computer measuring all the details (swing speed, ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, dispersion, etc).

Based on your preferred balance of distance vs. control vs. short game spin, they'll give you a printout listing all the balls out there in order of which will give the best performance for desired characteristics.

• Upvote 1

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

For me, i like at least a three piece gofl ball with the Uerethane cover. This will give me feel and spin around the greens. From there i can get more tech savy with the golf ball.

I am intriqued with the new Penta, the 3 piece one. I also am interested in the new Maxfli's, there a three piece ball with a Uerethane cover for around 25 dollars, thats pretty impressive. I am really not a big premium ball fan

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!