IGNORED

My Swing (looseleftie)

looseleftie
Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I'm 3 weeks into this sport, and have become a bit obsessed with it lol... Such a challenge!!

Just got back from two 9 hole rounds (first 9), I am struggling so much,although I got my first par 4, also hit a couple of nice shots every now and then today... I'm struggling on every 2 out of 3 shots though, I don't know if this may be a result of my backswing (non straight arm at times) or a million other reasons!!.... Shot 75,82 (inc 8 shots on bunker one hole).. I seem to be hitting ball on ground more than I care to imagine, not to mention slicing and hooking...

Please, I have included 2 little vids, one from behind and one from the side.. I am planning on having a lesson in the next 2 weeks.. Can anyone take pity on me and point out anything that is glaring obvious that I am doing incorrectly.. All help sincerely appreciated.

Regards

Looseleftie

Welcome!

I am a high handicapper so my advice is limited. If any of the lower handicappers want to correct me, I won't mind at all!

The first thing I notice on your Face On view is your grip (from the angle you have the camera). That is number one on your list. It appears that your hands are rotated too far (like a baseball grip). Without a proper club grip, everything else gets out of whack (back swing, impact etc..)

Here are the different grip types. (reverse it for left handed)

golf-grips.jpg

Here is what's considered a strong grip. Yours appears to be too strong, again from the angle of your video. (reverse it for lefty)

Strong Grip hands.jpg

Since you are beginning, here is a video on the golf grip. You can use it as a baseline and then can adjust from there.

http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-the-grip

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.

Post up a new vid with the grip change and well see from there. You didn't mention how the grip adjustment was. hopefully you can get a reply from some more qualified golfers. I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. What I did starting out was watching a lot of videos on grip and setup. Without those the foundation for the rest of the swing is weak. There are a bunch of good posts on here depending on which swing mechanics you want to try.

I'll do another vid soon, I seem to be getting my V's (I believe thats the correct terminology)  pointing to their respective shoulder, which is good from what I have read..I am a little confused with the pic of the hands and the parallel lines to assuming his right shoulder. I thought V's to either shoulder???

My swing plane has improved a bit, in particular getting the hinge..Keeping swing plane in line..

I devised a 8 step checklist before and during shot, seven of the eight steps are before the ball is hit, and this morning shot my best 9 holes to date 65, I know nothing to brag about lol!! But I feel like I am in a constant state of improving, albeit slowly, but steadily.. Very inspiring mate...

Yeah, I guess if you look at the V in the crease of his thumb and index, it is pointing to his right shoulder. Your's should point to your left shoulder, but you should also check the left hand so it's not too far underneath the club. The palm of your left hand should not be facing up when you put it on the club, but more like your shaking hands with the club. I can practically see your whole thumb on your right hand, when it should be in the crease of your left.

Here's another video for reference.

I saw your other post about the checklist. Good idea, and eventually it will become second nature. I tend to not think of too many things when i am setting up to the ball.

This game is about slow improvements. Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Cheers again, it makes sense now, in fact did another vid, focusing on grip, and trying to get armswing on plane line, and butt of handle tracing line.. I have been hitting some good shots from time to time, stil inconsistant both in accuracy and getting ball elevated on fairway and drive shots.. I have my first lesson late next week, looking forward to it.

Heres my latest vid, had to use a tape measure as my ball path line!! Anyway, if u have the time any feedback appreciated as always.

looks to me and again take for what it is worth my handicap is about a 15 or so.  But you posture seems a little off you got a hump in your back instead of straight line, take the club and take you grip and hold the club out straight from your belt a handspan then bend at the waist till the club touches the ground then bend knees a little bit that should put you close to the correct posture.  also in terms of weight distribution on your feet you should have about 65 percent on fact foot when driving and up to about a 3/4 iron then middle irons 50 50 weight distribution and low irons pitching sand lob you should have 60 on front foot.     Another thing is keep your head down  don't follow the ball make in you case your left shoulder bring your chin up after you have made contact.

• 3 months later...

Hi, have posted a few times here, had 2 lessons previously,began playing for 2 months, then had a 2 month break (due to little operation) with limited finances,have come back this last month  and have begun practising and also searching You tube for the definitive (if there is one) on the technique of the backswing and downswing.. I guess what I am hoping for here from more experienced golfers, is advice re swing plane.. I'm 5'10 slim build, athletic, dead keen, but struggling with the concepts of what is the right swing plane. In particular my teacher told me to get the toe of club from the beginning of swing to get it facing up by the time club is parallel to the ground in backswing (turn wrist from the beginning), but from there so unsure of where to go from there.

Can anybody suggest what is the right kind of swing plane for me?? I have looked at , and I guess my swing plane seems to fit the 2 plane swing , I just cannot get it smoothe, another You tube site (Clemshaw golf vid's) basically focused on getting everything flowing and let gravity do a lot of the work, makes sense, another one focused on getting the butt of the club to follow the imaginery line of the ball line (target line)... Tried tonight, worst I have ever hit the ball.

I have included a little vid of me, if anybody can help me, as i am so keen, and practise 3 times a week, yet still make the same poor shots (every now and then make a few decent ones)... It is so depressing, I will not give up, but it if there is anyone out there who perhaps can look at my video, and/or suggest a simple and relatively easy to repeat golfing philosophy to the golf swing then I am all ears..

The vid I have included I should apologize for well in advance, I am a pretty passive kinda guy, these were my last half dozen shots of the night, and pretty much lost it a little!!.. It was a night of utter frustration and confusion.. I rarely swear (or if so done usually very quietly, and certainly the dropped club too were both not my finest moments lol, I hope u don't look too down on me, as I could have posted a few cracking shots, but wanted to give u an accurate reflection of how  inconsistant I was hitting the ball, and my darkish mood)...

Help, please!!,  I don't want to continue going for a round or practise and just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over, and realistically with money constraints I most probably will be developing my game on my own just looking for some sound instruction .

Always appreciative of all advice offered.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by looseleftie

Always appreciative of all advice offered.

I moved your post over here as it'll get better (personalized) information here.

The swing plane is simply the angle on which you choose to swing. So long as it intersects the ball, you'll hit it. If you imagine the plane as a pane of glass, the angle on which you tilt it is your plane. The part that sits on the ground, that's your "swing direction" and it speaks to whether you'll swing from the inside or outside.

Your swing looks fine in terms of plane. Minor changes might be needed there. You seem to be shanking the ball right now, and there's a lot more going on than just a faulty swing plane. Perhaps you can post a face-on video in addition to the DL video in the post I've quoted.

In the meantime, practice with another ball just outside of your ball. Currently you're swinging the club too far to the left - the base of your plane is simply pointing out to the left too much. There could be a number of causes for this, but a pair of videos will help, and putting a ball just outside of the ball you're hitting (or a tee, or a plastic bottle, etc.) will help you straighten your path into the ball slightly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Swing looks nice and all for 2 months, but I would like a little more fluid swing especially at the transition, where it seems like you go slow slow slow and almost stop and then unleash all power at once. Work a bit on tempo and maybe try use 75 % of the power you can generate,

Thanks guys for the advice, yeah it does look slow when I look at many other golfers, hmmm.. Just checked out some Clemshaw golf vids and I like what I am reading.. I will try and get some fluidity to the swing and hinge when my arm gets straight and parallel to the ground rather than when I first begin backswing as I was taught in my 2 lessons.. have been practising today and it feels so much more natural, with just practise air swings back and forth and hinging only when arms are parallel.. Feels better and so much more comfortable.. It's funny as some of the guys at work who are golfers when I tell them about how I was told to hinge at the beginning kinda of look a bit mystified!

Hey Isaac, you are correct the club head does go way to left, and I realised that when I hinge I am turning my right handover my left, for whatever reason this seems to force my hands out and away from my body to much.. I am trying to get rid of that straight away, and use my hips and arms together..

I will try another vid over the next week.. Just have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day lol..

Hello, to anyone who may see this, been practising a lot over last week, and was wondering if anyone might like to have a quick look on my swing.. I recorded about 6 shots with 6 iron and I think 4 with driver, my shots are very inconsistant.. Is there anything that is obvious that I doing incorrectly? Having a lesson very soon, but love all feedback here..

Please help a totally addicted newbie.

Cheers guys.

The link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxoaty9R018&feature;=plcp

Looseleftie - watch these two breakdown videos by Wayne Defrancesco on Tiger Woods and Ben Hogan.  Both world class players who have great golf swings to model.  Focus on the leg movement and hip slides of both players.

You don't appear to slide the hips - but simply turn the hips.  Try working on your pivot more.

Here are a few good Pivot videos so that you learn to slide your hips:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, mate thank you for taking SO much time in offering help.. So appreciated, I will begin eagerly watching your suggestions, and will look into hip pivotting.. Again, thank you, I make take some time in looking at all of this before my next response.

sorry to jump in late here but I've actually watched all the videos you posted and have seen your transition to were you are today.  First of all, congratulations for the progression you are having!  You've come a long way...that being said, the two things that stick out to me in these videos are your posture and your tempo.  Both need work before you can even think of becoming a consistent ball striker.

Look at your videos and concentrate on those two things.  Look at some of the other videos the guys posted above to see if you can take some pointers to use.  I think you've definitely made some strides thusfar...buttoning up these two areas will go a long way in pushing you to that next level.

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!