IGNORED

True? Pros can't change ball compression during round.

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by joekelly

How can you gain an advantage over a competitor if everyone can make the same choice?  May i grind all the numbers off my irons so you can't peek and see what i play?  Is that a competitive advantage for me?  I personally feel all the arguments explaining or supporting the 'one-ball' rule,  that i have read here, are totally bogus. The only rule that continues to make sense to me is: each ball played must conform to current list.

The closest you came to refuting the idea behind the point is that a player can have as many as 14 different drivers in his bag, essentially giving the advantage of hitting different kinds of balls but having that advantage stem from the club instead. However, it seems to me that if the player chooses to carry multiple drivers, he has to renege on other clubs he might have otherwise carried.

So, the fact that a trade-off still exists gives validity to the existence of the one-ball rule as it is. Whether it's something that should be regulated against or not does not seem to be what you're raising here.

Originally Posted by joekelly

As far as i can read, no one has offered a legitimate explanation for this rule. True, Dormie mentioned past years when proline balls were variable but to me the entire idea that the rule maker dictates the ball brand and model seems excessively petty.  What if the rule maker decided that only forged  and blade type irons were to be used, no cavity backs, etc. How would  that rule sit?  I only talk of 'conforming' balls of any brand and any model for any competiton: seems the way to go. Let the player decide the ball he wishes to use on each hole.  Otherwise, take up billiards.   Though no expert, i do hope to play in local senior amateur competition, soon.

First of all, this is NOT a rule!  This is a condition of the competition which can be instituted if the competition committee so desires. Rules apply to all players.  C o C applies only to specific competitions.  I can't for the life of me figure out why you are so worried about it.  It will never affect you or anything in your life.   Isn't it time to get over it?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It has been pointed before that it is a Condition of Competition.

However a CoC is a Rule as defined although it is not a Local Rule.

Rule Or Rules

The term “ Rule ’’ includes:

a. The Rules of Golf and their interpretations as contained in “Decisions on the Rules of Golf”;

b. Any Conditions of Competition established by the Committee under Rule 33-1 and Appendix I ;

c. Any Local Rules established by the Committee under Rule 33-8a and Appendix I ; and

d. The specifications on:

(i) clubs and the ball in Appendices II and III and their interpretations as contained in “A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls”; and

(ii) devices and other equipment in Appendix IV .

Originally Posted by Rulesman

It has been pointed before that it is a Condition of Competition.

However a CoC is a Rule as defined although it is not a Local Rule.

Rule Or Rules

The term “Rule’’ includes:

a. The Rules of Golf and their interpretations as contained in “Decisions on the Rules of Golf”;

b. Any Conditions of Competition established by the Committee under Rule 33-1 and Appendix I;

c. Any Local Rules established by the Committee under Rule 33-8a and Appendix I; and

d. The specifications on:

(i) clubs and the ball in Appendices II and III and their interpretations as contained in “A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls”; and

(ii) devices and other equipment in Appendix IV.

Granted, and I'm aware of that, but Joe Kelly refers to it as if it is a regular rule in the book, and in my opinion, it can't be stated too firmly that it only applies in a very few, very high level competitions.  And apparently the number is dwindling.  I just think that Mr. Kelly is making too much of something which is essentially irrelevant.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
Originally Posted by Rulesman

As at 2011, the USGA and the European Tour still use it but I haven't got a recent hardcard for the PGA. The R&A; & Masters don't.

It's still on the 2013 PGA hard card

Note: This thread is 3996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!