IGNORED

True? Pros can't change ball compression during round.

joekelly
Note: This thread is 4009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just read this news to me that during a round a pro is forbidden to use balls of varying compression. One type of ball only during a round is the rule, i guess. I did read this concerning match play so maybe those rules aren't the same as stroke play. Normal folks can do as they like but of course, not during any one hole, except if ball injured.

That is correct. I believe they put in effect one of the rules under Appendix I: Local Rules; Conditions of the Competition. [QUOTE]c. One Ball Condition If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and models of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is recommended: “Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1) (i) “One Ball” Condition During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.[/QUOTE] They don't want players to change ball between holes. Players could use a long distance ball on a par five and change to a softer ball on a par three. They can switch ball between holes as much as they want as long as it's the same model, but not during a hole except if the original ball is lost, damaged or out of reach. This is a local rule, so it does not apply to every round if it's not mentioned in the tournament rules. I don't know at which level this rule starts to become common, but it's never used on local amateur tournaments as far as I've seen. At a higher level, everyone is probably playing the same ball all the time in any case.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, i must say to the Committee 'so what if i want to change ball compression'. I am permitted to change drivers or putters depending on my whim, provided i not carry more than 14 total, so why this  rule on  balls?  Ha, ha. Could  you imagine Keegan Bradley pulling out a 6 inch mini-putter to hole a 3 inch putt? Rub some rules makers the wrong way for sure.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Could  you imagine Keegan Bradley pulling out a 6 inch mini-putter to hole a 3 inch putt?

Not really because he would know it was an illegal club.

And Rulesman, just why is such a short club illegal?  I recall from years past Johnny Miller, of considerable fame, was penalized for having a child's club in his bag which his very young son had dropped in days before. In Miller's case perhaps the kid's club was the fifteenth club in the bag but was still considered a golf club.  In Bradley's case I do not refer to any club beyond the maximum 14 in the bag. Whether Keegan would be foolish to carry such a club is not at issue only his right to carry and use. Like a handgun.  Do you know of a length limit on club shafts except for drivers? Is there a minimum/maximum on shaft length for putters?

All clubs except putters are limited to 48". There is no upper limit for putters.

Johnny Millers child's club was I believe over 18" long.

I suspect that the low limit was introduced to ensure that a player 'fairly strikes' rather than pushes the ball. But that's just a guess.

Are you allowed to grip the club at the shaft when putting? Could you in theory grip the club right above the hosel and putt like that?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

No prohibition on gripping the shaft or even the head itself for that matter.

I have seen a high ranked amateur gripping at about 15" for any putt under about 2'.

He said it stopped the yips he got for very short ones.

I should have looked but my rules book says in Appendix II para 2 that clubs must be at least 18 inches long and not exceed 48 in, except putters, where as Rulesman says there is no stated upper limit. So the 6 inch putter is forbidden. Case closed.

Originally Posted by joekelly

I am permitted to change drivers or putters depending on my whim, provided i not carry more than 14 total, so why this  rule on  balls?

Yes you can carry more than one driver, up to 14 clubs in total. But I do not really see the comparison between switching ball type, to switching the club depending on situation. But I guess this makes nice conversation on slow day.

This one ball rule should be dispensed with altogether. In the old days balls were very different from each other varying not only by compression but also radius, weight and material. Different balls were used against the wind (smaller in diameter) and larger in tail wind, and so on.

However, today the pros do not have such wide array of options so the benefit of changing a ball to a different type between holes is vastly overridden by difference in close play, that is putting and chipping. Putting is such a delicate thing to the pros of today that it is hard to believe they would sacrifice a good touch on the green for a couple of yards more in their drive or better spin on their approach.

As far as I know PGA America already gave up with this CoC and I'm pretty sure more organisations will follow quickly enough.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Ignorant

This one ball rule should be dispensed with altogether. In the old days balls were very different from each other varying not only by compression but also radius, weight and material. Different balls were used against the wind (smaller in diameter) and larger in tail wind, and so on.

The rule was put into place well after balls used on the various Tours were - on any one Tour - the same radius and weight. C'mon.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

As far as I know PGA America already gave up with this CoC and I'm pretty sure more organisations will follow quickly enough.

No, they haven't. It was in effect last year at the Professional National Championship and the PGA Championship. Hell, it's in effect during my local section events.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

The rule was put into place well after balls used on the various Tours were - on any one Tour - the same radius and weight. C'mon.

Are you sure? If so, I have been misinformed.

No, they haven't. It was in effect last year at the Professional National Championship and the PGA Championship. Hell, it's in effect during my local section events.

From the web page of PGA of America:

'The "one ball rule" is in effect on The PGA Tour. The PGA of America does not have the "one ball rule" in effect at the events it oversees (PGA Champioship, PGA Senior Championship, all PGA Professional National Championships etc. '

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Ignorant

From the web page of PGA of America:

'The "one ball rule" is in effect on The PGA Tour. The PGA of America does not have the "one ball rule" in effect at the events it oversees (PGA Champioship, PGA Senior Championship, all PGA Professional National Championships etc.'

Provide a link. The only other instance I can find of that phrase is right here on The Sand Trap, and I specifically remember the one-ball rule being in effect the past two PNCs in which I've caddied.

Searching "one ball rule" site:pga.com gives you results which say it's enforced several places (in local sections, etc.), for example:

http://philadelphia.pga.com/gui/philly9/userpages/Winter%20Schedule/2012WinterTourRules.pdf

http://southcentral.pga.com/gui/southcentral7/userpages/Home/2011RulesofGolf.pdf

Here's the Met Section's hard card, where it's enforced:

http://met.pga.com/gui/metropolitan13/uploadedfiles/dups/HTMLpages/Tournaments/HARDCARD.pdf

You also oddly get this one about Bill Haas violating the one-ball rule and calling a penalty on himself:

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2011/scoring/profiles/index.cfm?id=24924

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The suggested COC was introduced in 1996.

Note: This thread is 4009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!