IGNORED

Taylormade TP3 and TP5 balls? Anyone played them yet?

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone play the Taylormade TP3 and TP5 balls?

I'd love to hear from the trusted TST posters as to how the compare with the old Pentas.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

It will be awhile before I give them a try I just bought 6 dz of last years Penta from The Golf Warehouse for $150!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I just bought a dozen of recycled Pentas, practically new except for a couple balls having a scuff or two... I don't mind them, but after playing the HEX Black Tour, I don't think they're anything special.

But a dozen premium/tour balls for $20? I can deal with that!

MY GEAR:

Driver/Woods/Hybrids: RBZ Tour

Irons: X Forged 2013's

Wedges: SM4's (52/56)

Putter: PROTYPE Series

Balls: HEX Black Tour/Chrome +  Pro V1x/NXT Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the penta tp3's and didn't really care for them. I dont know why but just saying i tried them and wasn't very impressed. I was trying out pro v's before so idk why but wasn't a big fan.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I have played the TP5 for 2 rounds now, love everything about it other than the durability, less driver side spin than the original penta, slightly less wedge spin , feels softer, but one full wedge and its done!  Yesterday , first hole, brand new ball, one drive one SW and the ball was shredded... not happy.  Im going to give the new B330s a go i used to like the old ones.

• 1 month later...
I recently tried the Taylormade Penta TP5 and thought that the ball was excellent overall. I have tried the older version Penta TP and felt that it was too soft off the driver through the mid irons. Wedges were ok as well as the putter. But this version is firmer with the driver with less spin and longer. The long and mid irons feel great with just the right amount of spin. The wedges are very responsive when you want them to be. I was typically hitting the Pro V1x ball because I like the firmer feel off the tee but around the greens I wish they had the feel of the Pro V1. The Penta TP5 combines those feels for me. Firm feeling off the tee with a soft touch around the greens and off the putter. The durability seemed very good as well as I played with one ball my last round (hitting one tree solidly no less) and the ball is still playable if I wanted to put it back into rotation. I am definitely playing this ball from now on over the Pro V1x and hopefully I'll continue to shot rounds of 70 or better again.

I played the penta tp5 after buying a dozen. I loved the ball less spin off the driver than the old penta. It felt softer to me and I enjoyed the feel great on approach shots and around the green. I loved the feel off the putter. Great ball but a bit too expensive for me especially here in Australia.

• 1 month later...
I wish more members of this forum had tried the TM TP3 ball. I'm really struggling to find a 3-piece ball that performs as well as Nike Tour D ball. I just picked up a dozen TP3 balls, but it will take me 3 or 4 rounds to test them out.

Can't tell a difference between Penta and TP5. Same ball as far as I'm concerned. Haven't hit the TP3

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

I've played 3 rounds with the TP3.  I like them a lot.  Great feel and check on the green.  No loss or gain in distance from my current ball (Tour D).  So far it looks like a good candidate to replace the Tour D when I run out of them.  I'm still crossing my fingers that Nike will bring it back since >50% of their pros (including Tiger) still use this ball instead of the new rock hard 20XI balls they are producing now.

I use to play Penta when they first came out but have since switch to Z Star as I find the old Penta too soft off the driver and not very durable. However I love em for mid/short iron in and putter as it just hop and stop.

Have not tried the new TP-5 but just bought 3 dozen TP-3 to give it a try and play em last weekend. Feel off the driver is a little harsh (as compare to Z Star) but the short iron/wedges are similar to old Penta - hop + stop with plenty of spin. However it's slightly clickier off the putter than the old Penta, which is really soft - almost mushy soft.

OOoh the new TP-3 is also a lot more durable than the old Penta.

Originally Posted by RGoosen

I've played 3 rounds with the TP3.  I like them a lot.  Great feel and check on the green.  No loss or gain in distance from my current ball (Tour D).  So far it looks like a good candidate to replace the Tour D when I run out of them.  I'm still crossing my fingers that Nike will bring it back since >50% of their pros (including Tiger) still use this ball instead of the new rock hard 20XI balls they are producing now.

I've got a dozen One-Tour D in my garage that I'd gladly trade you for a dozen Pentas.  I used to play the Tour D, but that was all over when I found the Penta.  Although I agree that the Penta is pretty much unrecognizable after two solid wedge shots.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

I've got a dozen One-Tour D in my garage that I'd gladly trade you for a dozen Pentas.  I used to play the Tour D, but that was all over when I found the Penta.  Although I agree that the Penta is pretty much unrecognizable after two solid wedge shots.

Thanks for the offer...

Do you actually like the the Penta's a lot better than the Tour D? or is the difference minimal?  I have found that most 4-5piece tour balls spin just a little too much for my taste.  I really am content with the 3-piece urethane premium tour balls at the moment.

I really am discovering that the Tour D and TP3 are almost interchangeable.  I have one or two balls to try out, but I can't see me finding another ball that I like better than these two balls.

I recently tired the TP3's to see if I might save some money on them vs proV1s. I hated them. Driver was ok but didn't feel that good. Irons were fine but not wedges....and I didn't like the feel off my putter. I dont loose that many balls in play so I will stick to the tired and true prov1

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

I am quite impressed with the TP3 - used to play the "original" Penta, also played some with the ProV1 (not 1x).  Price vs. Performance is excellent  For more info, check out the review I posted in the User Review - Equipment - Golf Balls - Mid-Level section of this website .

* Tried the B330, Z-Star, TP3, and Hex Chrome

B330 felt rock hard

Z-Star was a good ball, but I could tell no difference in performance compared to the TP3...especially at 10-15$ more a dozen

Hex Chrome was too hard to judge distance.  I would hit a 9 iron that would fly 150+ (normally it would carry 140)...then I would hammer a 3 wood flush at only 230 that would normally go 240-250 for me.  I assume that has to do with this golf balls low compression causing my irons to be crazy long and my driver and 3 wood to lose distance.  Anyway, I don't have the patience to deal with it.

I find the TP3 plays about as close to my current ball (Tour D) as I could hope for.  At 27.50 a dozen why would I look any further.

Don't have much to input, found some in bushes around my home course, all I can say is that it feels like the old Penta or any other TaylorMade newish ball.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!