IGNORED

So, will my Q-Star explode in my Lexus, or what?

Note: This thread is 4529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The sleeve box says "do not leave in the trunk of a car in the summer".  Well, I fully intend to do just that, and it gets fairly warm here in Texas this time of year.  So, what's it going to do to my Q-Stars?  Anyone done that already? is the only company I've ever known to say that!

I love to hate this game!

I imagine that if you leave them in a hot enough climate the cover on them will begin to deform,

This would have to pretty extreme.

I imagine that some researcher realized that if the balls are left out in the heat for too long it has a negative impact on performance and they threw this on their website so that if anyone has complaints they can blame this.

Originally Posted by sebsmash

I imagine that if you leave them in a hot enough climate the cover on them will begin to deform,

I imagine that some researcher realized that if the balls are left out in the heat for too long it has a negative impact on performance and they threw this on their website so that if anyone has complaints they can blame this.

I would have to concur, I can not imagine they would "blow up", but performance could suffer.  If it gets that hot in your car to alter the ball performance I would imagine you would see other issue also, like the head of your driver coming off because the glue softened.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Every golf ball company tells you not to expose them to extreme heat or cold because it can damage the rubber cores inside the golf balls.  Its not as if the balls are going to explode but it is possible for the core to get damaged and hurt the performance of the balls.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Fluctuations in temperature effect the molecular structure of most things.  Expansion and contraction would likely negatively affect the ball speed generated.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by sebsmash

Well, I couldn't find anything like that statement on their website - it's just on the sleeve, and not even on the outside of the dozen box.  I also found it on an old Z Star sleeve.  It might have to do with the "Energetic Gradient Growth" core.  The way that is achieved (softer center, harder exterior) is with varying levels of heat. i.e. Possibly that process would continue in a hot trunk.  Or, heat may affect the "Rabalon HR+ and Pana-tetra" cover material in some way. But, in my opinion, they should tell me why they make the statement - at least put it on their website.

Maybe their lawyers thought I'd hit it so blasted far in this Texas heat that I'd lose it, and sue them.

Originally Posted by darkstar76

Who is willing to film a Srixon in the microwave for 30 seconds for the good of the group?

Hold on a minute; they didn't say to not put it in the microwave, so that must be okay. I'm already doing the car trunk in Texas heat test.  I'm going to go do some test chipping this afternoon.  It's 90, outside, so the trunk has to be pretty toasty. If the ball sticks to the face of my club, then I'll know they were serious.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by darkstar76

Who is willing to film a Srixon in the microwave for 30 seconds for the good of the group?

As you know, totally different situation than trunk heat.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, now I have practiced 3/4 wedge shots, chip shots, and played a full round with the Q Star ball, and am not convinced.  It seems to be just as long as, but flies lower than, the DT Solo, and both roll out too far to suit me.  Between the two, the DT wins, especially since it's 5 bucks cheaper.  I've played several rounds with the DT and not one of the balls I've managed to maintain possession of has even a scratch on it.  The Q Stars I used today had some marks (from trees I hit).  I wanted to use a yellow ball, but not an expensive one.  Probably will go back to the white MG Tour C4, for the spin, even though I lose about a club in distance with the higher compression ball.  But, then, I'll also be able to keep them in my car trunk, without a guilt complex.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Thankfully you didn't blow up your ride! :D

Well, not yet, anyway.  After using the Q Star a couple more rounds, I've decided I like it. (I like getting my old distance back, versus the premium balls.) It checks up better than I thought, initially.  The guy at the pro shop says it should have less side spin than the DT Solo.  If that's a fact, then I guess it's better.  Anyone know if that's true?

Originally Posted by hesitantly

Well, not yet, anyway.  After using the Q Star a couple more rounds, I've decided I like it. (I like getting my old distance back, versus the premium balls.) It checks up better than I thought, initially.  The guy at the pro shop says it should have less side spin than the DT Solo.  If that's a fact, then I guess it's better.  Anyone know if that's true?

Watch this video - then you will know that the guy in the proshop is misinformed.  There is only one spin axis - thus the ball spins in one direction.  So the answer may be that the DT Solo spins less than the Q Star... But there is no such thing as less side spin.

• Upvote 2

Thank you, Beachcomber!!!  That is a really good, logical, explanation video.

Now, if I can find the spin rates off a wedge, for the DT Solo vs. Q Star, I might save myself 5 bucks a box. I want the one that spins more into the green; I don't have any trouble hitting my 9.5° driver fairly straight with either one.  As far as appearance goes, I prefer the DT's color and symmetrical lettering.

Originally Posted by hesitantly

Thank you, Beachcomber!!!  That is a really good, logical, explanation video.

Now, if I can find the spin rates off a wedge, for the DT Solo vs. Q Star, I might save myself 5 bucks a box. I want the one that spins more into the green; I don't have any trouble hitting my 9.5° driver fairly straight with either one.  As far as appearance goes, I prefer the DT's color and symmetrical lettering.

My advice is go to a big box store... Explain to them what you are trying to do and buy a sleeve or a dozen of both the DT Solo and Q Star.  Bring your wedge - and do a live test on their launch monitor.  After you are nice and warmed up - then do the test and see what brand of ball spins more with your wedge.  Take a sample of say 6 shots with each brand - with the same wedge - and you should get a pretty good idea of which ball spins more.  I'm betting 95% of the folks who work retail at these places would enjoy seeing the results of your test.  As most of these guys are gear heads and enjoy seeing those kind of test results.

PS. After you do your test, make sure you come back to the forum and give us an update. :D

Aha! Totally logical, again, Beachcomber.  Maybe I should sneak in with my Lexus-heat-treated Q Star's, too.  Just for a good comparison.

But, probably, what I'll do is, just go with the American-consumerism method - i.e. read all the hype in the commercials and golf magazines (eg. GD says the DT is for

Note: This thread is 4529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!