IGNORED

I've got a feeling about Rory Mcilroy...

scottyjoe145
Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by lllllsp1d3rllll

WTF are u talking about rorys number 1 look at the standing hes beating tiger hes better tiger is inconsistant u cant change ur swing and every thing else hes changed and exspect to play well tigers a terrable player in my ipinion and he has not respect for other players rorys the one to watch ricky fowler is up there to but hes still to younge and eager hell hit a hipout point in the next year and slow down then he will get some patients and maybe start to climb up the roster but for now and a long time i balieve rory is the man to beat

First of all, learn to write if you want people to read and take you seriously.

Secondly, at Rory's age, Tiger was light years ahead of him in wins and money. Its not even close. Rory has a long, long ways to go before he should even be mentioned in the same breath as TW.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

At Rory's age, Tiger was light years ahead of him in wins and money. Its not even close. Rory has a long, long ways to go before he should even be mentioned in the same breath as TW.

(deep breath...) Rory McIlroy & Tiger Woods.  I feel like I'm breaking some kind of rule...

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

• 2 months later...

Somebody had to bump this thread...

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

Somebody had to bump this thread...

You called him a chump. He just drained like 9 par putts in a row, and he's about to win the PGA by 7 or 8 shots. His wedge play has been absolutely absurd, and I think he's on track for like 21 putts. So he's not a chump anymore?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

RORS appears to be a fair weather player ...

Tiger has problems going low, but seems to play well in poor weather - think he would have won the British and PGA with poor conditions. But conditions were great, so it does not matter.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

RORS appears to be a fair weather player ...

Tiger has problems going low, but seems to play well in poor weather - think he would have won the British and PGA with poor conditions. But conditions were great, so it does not matter.

He shot a 75 on Friday when the conditions were anything but fair and the field average was something like a 78.

I'd agree he's at his best when conditions are more benign and he can really attack a course but I think he's showing signs of learning how to manage tough conditions.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

He needs to schedule a trip to the barber.  Dude looks rough.

You're only young once.  It's better to have the hair longer now than when you are 45

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mordan

He shot a 75 on Friday when the conditions were anything but fair and the field average was something like a 78.

I'd agree he's at his best when conditions are more benign and he can really attack a course but I think he's showing signs of learning how to manage tough conditions.

That 78 included the > half the field that missed the cut. So I don't think that acts as much proof that he's not a fair weather player. He's said as much - how he hates the wind, rain, cold, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

You called him a chump. He just drained like 9 par putts in a row, and he's about to win the PGA by 7 or 8 shots. His wedge play has been absolutely absurd, and I think he's on track for like 21 putts. So he's not a chump anymore?

I wrote that a month ago when he was missing putts, and it was meant to be sarcastic.  Check the time frame.

And by the way, I'm the thread starter...  so no, I don't think he is a chump.  I think McIlroy is the "it" guy right now.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

First of all, learn to write if you want people to read and take you seriously.

Secondly, at Rory's age, Tiger was light years ahead of him in wins and money. Its not even close. Rory has a long, long ways to go before he should even be mentioned in the same breath as TW.

Much as the rest of this thread, this has now changed.  Total wins... yes.  Major wins, Rory is now ahead of Tiger based on age.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

RORS has admitted he doesn't like rain, wind, cold ... and I'm sure he's done well in poor weather at times, but I can't recall those times. And the fact he admits that he doesn't like poor weather, almost says you can count him out. Although he showed some maturity. The 75 on Friday could have been much worse. At times, he looked terrible that day, but recovered. We'll see. Let's enjoy the show as it rolls on...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by iacas

That 78 included the > half the field that missed the cut. So I don't think that acts as much proof that he's not a fair weather player. He's said as much - how he hates the wind, rain, cold, etc.

RORS has admitted he doesn't like rain, wind, cold ... and I'm sure he's done well in poor weather at times, but I can't recall those times. And the fact he admits that he doesn't like poor weather, almost says you can count him out. Although he showed some maturity. The 75 on Friday could have been much worse. At times, he looked terrible that day, but recovered. We'll see. Let's enjoy the show as it rolls on...

He's also said since then that he really regrets making those comments and that they were borne out of frustration. And while 75 isn't a storming round, I'd imagine that if you beat the field average by 3 strokes each of the 4 days in a tournament you're probably going to be there or there abouts at the end.

He's also said since then that he really regrets making those comments and that they were borne out of frustration. And while 75 isn't a storming round, I'd imagine that if you beat the field average by 3 strokes each of the 4 days in a tournament you're probably going to be there or there abouts at the end.

And did you read the second part of my comment?

While he may have regretted his comments, there was undoubtedly truth in them. Of course, one can get over their dislike of poor weather, it's mental and making adjustments for the conditions. I'm sure he will evolve.

But the fact is, he's won both of his majors under soft, relatively ideal conditions.

He is a dominant player and enjoyable to watch, but he is no Tiger Woods ... yet.

I would bet if the weather was crap, Tiger would have 1-2 majors under his belt this year - the British or PGA, or both. And he is still playing golf swing, not golf.

I would bet if the weather was crap, Tiger would have 1-2 majors under his belt this year - the British or PGA, or both. And he is still playing golf swing, not golf.

Only if he was playing directly into the wind.  The way he's hitting his scoring clubs, he may have wound up on a different golf course with a tailwind.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

Much as the rest of this thread, this has now changed.  Total wins... yes.  Major wins, Rory is now ahead of Tiger based on age.

No he is not. I mean yes, Rory won 2 younger than tiger won two, but I also doubt Rory will achieve the Tiger Slam, which Tiger did immediately after his second major. Not to mention that Tiger had about 5 times as many regular tour wins at Rory's age.

Rory is great. A giant of the sport. But those comparing him to Woods either are not old enough, or were not there to see Tiger Dominate. Tiger didn't go through summers missing cuts and struggling. He won consistently, and rarely missed a cut. Rory is a great player, but he's got a long ways to go to beat TW.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

He is the real deal, a great kid with a great attitude. But for me to take him seriously as in record breaking seriously and an all time great, he is gonna need to show that he can win on volume as well. He has gotta start winning 3 plus tourneys a year. They dont have to be majors of course but the fact that he has already missed more cuts in his career than Tiger, I think he needs to prove his consistency and sustained eliteness throughout the whole year for me to really consider him longterm. Of course he is the next big thing, but we have seen this type of beginning to a career before.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!