IGNORED

Interlock vs overlap

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 6183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing golf for the past 1 year and 4 months now and have been using interlock grip from start till now. My recent scores were consistent in the mid 90's when I used the interlock grip. For the first time today, I decided to use the overlap (vardon) grip just for the fun of it. To my surprise I had much better control and distance gain was slightly more than 2 clubs... (Hitting 7 iron distance with 9, 5 iron distance with 7 and etc) For the first time I broke my 90 and had a score of 86... Has anyone experienced this? Any logical explanation to this overall improvement??? Thanks.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I have been playing golf for the past 1 year and 4 months now and have been using interlock grip from start till now. My recent scores were consistent in the mid 90's when I used the interlock grip. For the first time today, I decided to use the overlap (vardon) grip just for the fun of it. To my surprise I had much better control and distance gain was slightly more than 2 clubs... (Hitting 7 iron distance with 9, 5 iron distance with 7 and etc) For the first time I broke my 90 and had a score of 86... Has anyone experienced this? Any logical explanation to this overall improvement??? Thanks.

The overlap may have allowed you to grip the club with a stronger grip (hands rotated more clockwise, for righties) which typically adds distance.

A 12 handicap who just broke 90 for the first time? Did you mean to say you typically shoot mid 80's and just broke 80 for the first time?

The overlap may have allowed you to grip the club with a stronger grip (hands rotated more clockwise, for righties) which typically adds distance.

Not a 12 handicap. That is my target for this year.

I would say mine is around 18-22. Usually play around 92 to 94. Best was a few 90 before today. I am getting a new set of iron (MP-60 with Project X) once I break 84 so I try to remind myself every time I log into this forum.
Driver

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

That is an interesting motivation tool to use.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

I just switched to overlap and i wouldnt say i grip strong - i actually would say i grip way softer.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I just switched to overlap and i wouldnt say i grip strong - i actually would say i grip way softer.

What I meant by a "strong grip" is not related to grip pressure, strong grip means a grip where the hands are turned clockwise on the club. As opposed to a weak grip where the hands tend to turn counter-clockwise on the club.

As shown here: http://www.golfdigest.com/harmon/ind...tchbasics.html

The handicap in your profile says 12. Maybe an adjustment is needed?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is the vardon grip recommended for higher handicap players or does it matter? I have tried it at the range and it feels way too loose to me, I do not feel like I am going to be able to keep a hold of the club... But, when I swing I hit the ball ok, I just have to get over that loose "feeling" I suppose.

With the interlock grip I tend to grip way too tight and I know it causes problems for me. I am hitting the range in about an hour and I plan on revisiting the vardon grip, would that be a good idea for someone who is about a 23-25 handicap? Does that matter?

Thanks!

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

When I first started, I had played baseball for the previous 10 years of my life, so I wanted to use the baseball grip. My dad told me there was no other grip besides interlock. So, even though it felt weird the first few days with it, I stuck with it and now can't use anything BUT it. If I do it feels sooooo weird I'd have to completely start over again as if I were back to a beginner.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I went from a baseball grip to the overlap grip, and added 30 yards. I struggled with shanks at first, but eventually smoothed them out. Now, I crank a 7 iron 160, instead of 130, and I can reach a par 5 in two (pin-high in two - being on the green is another matter) if I try to overpower the hole.

I don't get how anyone can use the overlap grip - after a few swings, it feels like my finger's about to fall off, not to mention I lose control of the ball. (I have very large hands and a strong grip).
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Well, one thing for sure is that I do not really like the overlap grip... maybe I was not doing it right but it feels like my left hand (I am right handed) is all that is on the club, and it feels like I only have about one finger of my right hand on the club, even though I have 3...

Anyway, I will stick with interlock...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Since it is public holiday here today, I woke up early to be at the course right before sunrise to tee off. I needed to verify if this new grip really improved my game overnight. Guess what... It wasn't a fluke... I scored 85 today, one shy from 84 to get my new set of irons.

I realized that by using the vardon grip my left wrist was considerably more firm and steady where as my right wrist could be more relaxed making it easier to release at impact. It not only improved my distance and consistency for long games but also for the short games. I was able to park the ball closer to the hole, due to more stable left wrist I think, with wedge shots resulting in a lower score.

I guess I now need to work on putting since that is the reason why I could not break 84... I am not saying that vardon grip is better than interlock or vice versa because it's up to the individual's preference, but I realized how a small thing like grip style can drastically improve one's performance... Also I found some interesting readings regarding grips as shown below. Enjoy.

The Most Common Golf Grips: How to Hold the Handle

The hands must work together as a single unit when striking a ball with power. There are three common and fundamentally sound grips from which to choose, which are pictured below.

In addition to the type of grip you choose, another characteristic of a sound grip is light grip pressure. Gripping the club too tight can cause thin, weak shots that slice. A lighter grip enhances wrist hinge - a vital power source in the swing. This light pressure also increases the amount of clubface rotation, thus improving your chance of squaring the club at impact.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is light and 10 is tight, I recommend a pressure of 4 or 5. This allows the club to be swung with power and control. At address, feel relaxed and tension-free in your hands and forearms.

Sam Snead said, "Hold the club as if you had a little baby bird in your hand." This pressure, combined with the proper placement of the hands on the handle, will give you your greatest chance to produce longer, straighter shots.

The Vardon Overlap is the most common grip among great players. Harry Vardon popularized this grip around the turn of the 20th century. This grip places the club in the fingers and is the most preferred grip among top golf instructors.
To place your hands on the handle using the Vardon Overlap, take the little finger on the trailing hand and place it between the index and middle finger on the lead hand. The lead hand thumb should fit in the lifeline of the trailing hand

The next most common grip is called the Interlock. This grip is very popular on the LPGA Tour and has been used by many top male players including Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. This grip literally locks the hands together but one also runs the risk of having the handle stray into the palms of the hands. People with small hands, weak forearms and wrists and beginners in many cases prefer this style of grip.To use the Interlock grip, take the little finger on the trailing hand and intertwine it with the index finger on the lead hand. The lead hand thumb should fit in the lifeline of the trailing hand.

The Ten Finger grip is the least preferred grip among teachers, however it has its advantages. Hall of Fame Member Beth Daniel, PGA TOUR members Bob Estes and Dave Barr and Masters Champion Art Wall Jr. have all used the Ten Finger grip. Teachers often suggest this grip to beginners as it simplifies early instruction. People who experience joint pain, have arthritis or small, weak hands often benefit by using the Ten Finger grip.

To position your hands properly using a Ten Finger grip, start with a perfect lead hand grip, then place the little finger of the trailing hand close against the index finger of the lead hand. Cover the lead hand thumb with the lifeline of the trailing hand.

TIGER WOODS: How I play golf (Time Warner Books, Page 91)

My Right Hand Is My Speed Hand

The right-hand grip is similar to that of the left hand. The main difference is the club is placed more along the fingers. The handle should run from the middle portion of your right index finger to the base of your pinkie. This activates your right hand so it can supply speed on the downswing.

Why I Interlock: As a little boy, I was taught the interlocking grip, the little finger of my right hand laced between the forefinger and middle finger of my left hand. That's how Jack Nicklaus, my idol, did it, and I copied him. It gives me the feeling that my hands can't separate during the swing. I'm in the minority though. Most players prefer the overlapping grip, with the little finger of the right hand placed riding in the notch formed by the left forefinger and middle finger. My feeling is, either way is really just fine.
Driver

Woods

That is an interesting motivation tool to use.

Yes. Especially when I will be getting the iron sets for FREE since it is a bet between me and my friend. All I need to do is break 84 by December. I played with him today and he turned pale. Because if I can't break 84 by december, I will have to buy him a set so I need all the motivation and reminders I can get...

The handicap in your profile says 12. Maybe an adjustment is needed?

As mentioned above...

Driver

Woods

Note: This thread is 6183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!