IGNORED

Kapanda's golfing disasters

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dsc123

It sounds like he lives in the District, which means his options are very limited.  Likely doesn't have a yard.  There are about four courses, I've played two, and they are easily the worst I've ever played.  Neither has a grass range and I think he'd be hard pressed to find one that's less than 45 min away.  I know of two, one in Olney and one out in a public course in VA somewhere (can't remember where but I want to say the Leesburg area).

Haines Point does have practice holes if you want to work on the short game.  I think they charge $10/hr or something.

Finding a field somewhere might be his best option, particularly if he can go in the off hours.  Fields will be hard to come by after 5pm during the week or anytime on a weekend with all the soccer, softball, kickball, etc.

I'm just going to play lots and lots of holes and see where that takes me!

Originally Posted by Kapanda

I'm just going to play lots and lots of holes and see where that takes me!

unfortunately, only playing every week or two wont get you far without lotsa practice. And im not trying to discourage you or anything, just letting you know that practice is extremely important.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

unfortunately, only playing every week or two wont get you far without lotsa practice. And im not trying to discourage you or anything, just letting you know that practice is extremely important.

Plan is to hit driving range Saturday, course on Sunday - every week.

Plan is to hit driving range Saturday, course on Sunday - every week.

Good luck, I really do wish all the best, and I know your game will improve greatly, but I still think finding 30 feet and 15-30 minutes 4-5 times a week is nothing but therapeutic and great practice.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

U.S. Soldiers and Airmens Home Golf Course
HOLE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 TOTAL
32/96
White
Par 5 4 4 3 4 3 4 4 4 35
Score 9 7 4 9 8 6 6 8 8 65
Fairway 85.7%
Club off Tee Dr Dr Dr 5i 3w 7i Dr Dr 3w
Putts 2 3 2 3 3 4 3 3 4 3
GIR 11.1%
Penalty Strokes 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 1 0 4

So this was today.

Definitely improved - the score confirms this - so I have at least that to take with me.

Hole 1, I just wasn't able to hit things off the friggin fairway. And I chipped it really badly (4 chips). Aside from that, my chipping was solid (enough) throughout the 9 holes.

But obviously, my swing is just too inconsistent. That's really what's keeping me back. It's not so much that I can't swing the club anymore (though, I am under no illusions that I have a good swing, just good enough to play), it's that I can't repeat my swing with consistency - at all.

So, I plan to take to the range for a while, hit the course again in 3-4 weeks.

Also, have to replace my school's 3-wood.

latest 003.JPG

Any ideas on what I should go for? Doesn't seem like it's a particularly expensive 3w...

Why do you need to replace the 3 wood? it looks like its in good shape. Wait until you are better at the game before buying things. When you swing more consistently, you will be able to guage how well a club works for you far better. For now, as long as you got all your distances covered, keep what you have till you improve to at least shooting consistent 90's.

That said, if its because the school wants it back, look for something decent but used. Craiglist or whatever. As I said, what you like now wont be the same as what you like when you are more cosistent.

Otherwise, good work on the improvements. I had a bad (for me) round today. 88. Lotsa missed up and downs. Bad scrambling. Hitting tree limbs and ruining ball flight., Whatever could go wrong did. My chipping was bad. My putting saved me, thankfully.

And dont give up the course for the range. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Find a quiet course on an afternoon, take your time, think about your shot, think about your swing. Do your pre shot routine religiously. Think about your swing. Smooth and steady. Dont swing for the stars. You wqill only lose control.

Enjoy the game and dont be ashamed of bad rounds. We have all had them, and we will all continue to have them.

• Upvote 1

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

The head's still in good shape, but it has no shaft attached to it!

I took that picture just so you guys would know what sort of club needs replacing!

if you love golf, and know your going to play for years. UPGRADE. It's well worth it to have the confidence at looking down at a new club. Plus the new ones are easier to hit.

BTW what site do you post your scorecard on? I'd love to do that for my golf journal.

• 1 month later...
U.S. Soldiers and Airmens Home Golf Course
HOLE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL
62.4/119
White
0 0 0
Par 5 4 4 3 4 3 4 4 4 35 5 4 4 3 4 3 4 4 4 35 70
Score 8 7 7 13 6 6 8 8 9 72 8 8 6 6 7 7 9 9 9 69 141
+/-
ESC Adjustment 8 7 7 9 6 6 8 8 9 68 8 8 6 6 7 7 9 9 9 69 137
Penalty Strokes 1 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 6 10

So after a long hiatus coz of exams... I still suck in embarrassing proportions.

Got to get lessons ASAP!

I suck at golf. Don't bother doing the maths, that's a 76 on a Par 35.

Holy crap...

I did the math.  Looks like an 82 to me,

The head's still in good shape, but it has no shaft attached to it!

I took that picture just so you guys would know what sort of club needs replacing!

Why not just reshaft it?

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Why not just reshaft it?

I'm guessing it'd be cheaper to buy pretty much whatever 3W he could find from a re-sale shop for $10

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 3W he had wasn't really helping his scores too much.

OP:  yes, but think of how much better your score will be when you cease to 3-putt and fail to exit a bunker on almost every hole like I used to do.   You will soon be the most improved golfer on the forum

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Fore Left

I'm guessing it'd be cheaper to buy pretty much whatever 3W he could find from a re-sale shop for $10

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 3W he had wasn't really helping his scores too much.

By replace, I thought he meant he had to buy one for his school. You can get shafts for 10-15 bucks, but you are right, it makes more sense.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!