IGNORED

My Swing (zimmerbz)

zimmerbz
Note: This thread is 4293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello. I am a 15 handicap. Lately I have been getting the shanks with my irons. My driver has been straight but my irons have been very inconsistent. I have been hitting off the hosel and I am sure of it because I put some impact tape on my clubs. Can anyone tell what is causing this based off of my swings below? Anyone have any tips on what i need to do to get rid of it? Any other swing tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

FO Iron

DTL Iron

I think my swing needs a ton of help and wanted to see what you all think and notice i can change. Thanks! Any advice is welcomed

I don't think your swing needs a ton of work.  What do your good shots look like right now?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

If I hit it well I hit a high draw.  If i hit it poor and don't shank it, I'll hit a weak fade / slice.  My driver is straight.  This is only happening with irons.  My wedges and short game is good too.

Originally Posted by zimmerbz

If I hit it well I hit a high draw.  If i hit it poor and don't shank it, I'll hit a weak fade / slice.  My driver is straight.  This is only happening with irons.  My wedges and short game is good too.

You've got a low takeaway and a compact backswing.  Hands don't look overly high either.  Downswing looks like it's starting from the ground up with no real signs of an over-the-top move.  How open is that face at the top of your downswing?  Can't really tell.

Are you releasing the club fully there?  Just went back and checked.  Left wrist looks to be in good position at the top of the backswing.  Shoulders may be beating your hips on the downswing.

Originally Posted by zimmerbz

I don't think I am releasing the club fully... That has always been an issue for me.

That's the only thing I can see.  Given your swing it would make sense that when you do it properly you hit the ball well with a draw.  Are you right side dominant in your golf swing?

I do this when I don't allow my left arm to properly break down after impact.  I hit balls with a golf towel under my left arm pit to fix it.  Trying not to let the towel fall out during the swing.

Why You Do It: Hands Not Releasing

How to fix it: Release The Hand

the first thing i noticed is how short your swing seems ( and relatively fast ),....i wonder if your getting chance/time to turn the shoulders fully and get the hips into the right position

I cant analyse it more cus my works computer is crap and just played the youtube video at normal speed

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I think the best drill you can do is the drill tiger hated more than any other and that is taking the club to the top, then pausing, then hitting the ball. This will help you transition better. the lower body is starting the down swing before you get the club to the top. Try that drill and see if it helps you! Looks like your set up is pretty well tuned.

Originally Posted by tonycarnevale

I think the best drill you can do is the drill tiger hated more than any other and that is taking the club to the top, then pausing, then hitting the ball. This will help you transition better. the lower body is starting the down swing before you get the club to the top. Try that drill and see if it helps you! Looks like your set up is pretty well tuned.

Ben Hogan's lower body started before his backswing was complete.

Yes, he bumps to the left side. From the video above, even though you can't really break it down because theres not enough frames, it looks to me that he is opening his hips torwards the target before the club gets to the top. I don't see how your comment is relevent regarding the drill I thought would be helpful...

Hey guys... My videos are posted in the member videos section but i need some serious help with my shank i developed.  I went to the range on Saturday and literally shanked 90% of the balls I hit.  The ones i didn't shank were either fat/short, or thin weak fades.  Yesterday, i hit about 75% of my shots as shanks.  The other ones that I hit flush were big sweeping draw/hook that actually ended up on target.

When playing well, I hit a high draw and usually score between 82-88. But as of the last 2 years the shank has been in the bag and it gets worse each round.  My drives are flush and straight.  Looking at my swing, I think my arms swing too low under my right shoulder and I dip into the ball... however, I can't seem to get rid of that.  I need any help I can get.  I am playing 36, 36, 18 next weekend and I need to be able to enjoy it!

BZ

• Administrator

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

You're not forward at all, so you have to fake secondary axis tilt a little too.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Oh, the fix? Try this: feel like your head goes forward a foot and your hips go forward a foot with it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wow, this is a tough one...couple suggestions, make sure your left arm (elbow) are staying straight.  It looks to me like it is breaking down a bit and you are then trying to over compensate by pushing the club through the downswing with your right arm. Also, I can't really see your grip to well in the pictures but make sure the "V's" in your hand were your thumb and index finger meet are pointing towards your back shoulder.

I would definitely start with grip and left arm...you may also try moving the ball, with your irons, back a little so your hands are in line or in front of the ball at address.  In times like this it is best to go back to the basics and your set up and your grip are a good place to start.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys... I wanted to see what you think of my swing.  My tendancies lately have been hitting the hosel. My normal ball flight when I don't shank is a nice high draw.  7 Iron distance is about 170.  I am working on a bigger shoulder turn and a better release but I can't seem to figure it out.  Does anyone have any advice?  Let me know what you think.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/Xc5VTZt6

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/ss7zUtMB

BZ

First, listen to what iacas said on May 30th and work on that, if you are still hitting it on the hosel and shanking it.  He is the pro and giving you free advise.

Second, looks like you are casting/flipping the club on the down swing.  Looks like on the down swing your left shoulder is popping up way too quick causing your early release and flip.  Feel like your left shoulder stays down longer on the down swing and drives through the shot.

Note: This thread is 4293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!