IGNORED

Your opinions on quality of a putters importance?

Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How important is it to have a nice putter?

• A putter is a putter. No difference.
    • putter is cool but not worth the dough.
    • I have to have a nice putter.

If your putter gives you consistent distance and accuracy, feels good in your hands and gives you confidence, it doesn't matter what you put with. If you feel best putting with a shovel and somehow do it super consistently, then putt with a shovel.

And yes, I have an Edel and I spent good money on it, but I wouldn't trade it for any other putter.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

I say why not splurge on a nice one?  I received a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 as a gift, but I do think its worth paying for.  Not because a fancy putter is technologically superior and going to take strokes off your score immediately.  Rather, I think a putter is a personal object, one that I intend to use for a very long time and become more and more familiar with.  Get one that you will love.  If that's a scotty, Nike, Yes!, Edel, great.  If you can get the same love for a $30 putter from walmart, that's even better.  Knowing myself, if I got a cheap one I'd always be curious about other putters and probably buy and try em out and end up spending even more $.  I'd prefer to get one that I love and work on perfecting my stroke with it.

Some people like buying new cars, others think only idiots buy new cars because used ones have better bang for the buck.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on what your definition of a nice putter is.  Does a Scotty make more putts than a cast Odyssey or TaylorMade putter?  No, not by itself, it depends on who's stroking the putts.  And even then it would have more to do with how the combination of shape, weight, offset, loft and sight lines work for that player than if the face is milled steel or some kind of insert.

Like Erik said, get an Edel and use that putter that's as "nice" as anything out there that is made specifically for you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've tried many putters that felt good one day and not so good the next. Personally I'd rather have a few favourites and rotate.

On slower greens and when I'm in a hurry,  my used Anser 2 is money, but my Odyssey and Wizard 600 have sentimental value. I probably make the most putts with the Odyssey, especially on very fast greens, but the forged Sportsman Original / George Lowe / Wizard 600 (it has names stamped all over the sole) looks and feels the best (imho).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!