IGNORED

Where can I calculate true handicap?

mikelegacy
Note: This thread is 4294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I was just wondering where you guys post your scores that calculates your true handicap for you?

I normally play 9 holes due to time restrictions, and I average a 45-47 score, so I just said, ah hell with it, 20 handicap it is.

I would like to get my true rating and watch how it fluctuates from round to round. The USGA offers some tool to do this correct? I still need to get on paying that $10 for the membership there, I have just been putting it off.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I wouldnt think it would change each time you play.there should be some apps for a smart phone to post yoyr scores. Most courses figure h/c on a monthly basis.

Originally Posted by Blacksheep

I wouldnt think it would change each time you play.there should be some apps for a smart phone to post yoyr scores. Most courses figure h/c on a monthly basis.

Cool. Now that I think of it, the app I use for a Golf GPS (Golfshot GPS) may have a handicap-tracking feature. I'll have to look into that.

I just need to learn a little more about how a handicap is actually calculated I think. I will have to play more full rounds to get an accurate account as well, I suppose...

Lots here about how handicap is calculated. The short version is that scores are converted to differentials based on slope and course ratings. (score-ratingXslope/113=differential). Lowest 10 differentials of your last twenty rounds are averaged. 96% of that number is your INDEX. Index is used to calculate your handicap on any given course by the following formula: (Index)(slope/113)=handicap.

If you play nine holes, consecutive nine-hole differentials are combined into an 18 hole differential and count as one round.

Index changes are made on a schedule. In Chicago area, the Chicago District Golf Association makes changes on the 1st and 15 of each month during the season. Your local USGA regional body may have a different schedule.

Easiest to signup with a your USGA regional group through a local course for about $35 a year. You post your scores with the course and tee box you play, and they do the rest. Then you'll have a legitimate handicap and, in a small way, support the group that rates courses and does lots of other good things for the game. Or you can find an on-line service. Lots of threads about that on this and other forum.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Lots here about how handicap is calculated. The short version is that scores are converted to differentials based on slope and course ratings. (score-ratingXslope/113=differential). Lowest 10 differentials of your last twenty rounds are averaged. 96% of that number is your INDEX. Index is used to calculate your handicap on any given course by the following formula: (Index)(slope/113)=handicap.

If you play nine holes, consecutive nine-hole differentials are combined into an 18 hole differential and count as one round.

Index changes are made on a schedule. In Chicago area, the Chicago District Golf Association makes changes on the 1st and 15 of each month during the season. Your local USGA regional body may have a different schedule.

Easiest to signup with a your USGA regional group through a local course for about $35 a year. You post your scores with the course and tee box you play, and they do the rest. Then you'll have a legitimate handicap and, in a small way, support the group that rates courses and does lots of other good things for the game. Or you can find an on-line service. Lots of threads about that on this and other forum.

Hey, thanks a ton man. Unfortunately, the course I play at most often doesn't seem to have a USGA affiliation (municipal course, close to home) but there a few other locals I can register through I suppose.

Again, thanks for the info, it was a big help!

This is from the FAQ on the GolfShot app (with I like very much btw):

How is the automatic handicap measured?

An official handicap is a rating of your score versus par adjusted for course difficulty. Ideally, you should join a local golf club and establish an official USGA Handicap. You can enter this official handicap into Golfshot by selecting Account from the Launch Screen. If you wish to keep this handicap up-to-date manually, go to Account and then Score Settings and turn Auto Handicap to Off.

If you leave Auto Handicap On, the Golfshot app will measure an approximate handicap allowing users to play with their friends using handicap scoring. However an official handicap is always recommended.

The long and short of it is that the app can calculate your handicap because it has your scores, but they are clear in stating that it is not a USGA official handicap.  This makes sense to me.

My follow on question is: Is it necessary to play 18 holes to get a true measure of handicap?  I play a lot of 9 hole rounds and wonder if I am skewing my handicap in one direction or another.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mikelegacy

Hey, thanks a ton man. Unfortunately, the course I play at most often doesn't seem to have a USGA affiliation (municipal course, close to home) but there a few other locals I can register through I suppose.

Again, thanks for the info, it was a big help!

Could be that they have no USGA affiliation, but odd that a municipally owned course would not at least have a loose affiliation that lets them keep handicaps through the Western Pennsylvania Golf Association. The WPGA is your local USGA regional "office." They provide the handicapping in your area. Here's link with member clubs:

http://www.wpga.org/handicapping/resources/wpga_course_rating_listing.htm

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

http://www.oobgolf.com is a nice site that lets  you upload scores via the computer or a phone app and it'll calculate an unofficial handicap for you.  It also lets you track lots of other data about your game and is very useful.

You can also graph all the data as you collect it and see your development over time.

Originally Posted by 0ldblu3

This is from the FAQ on the GolfShot app (with I like very much btw):

How is the automatic handicap measured?

An official handicap is a rating of your score versus par adjusted for course difficulty. Ideally, you should join a local golf club and establish an official USGA Handicap. You can enter this official handicap into Golfshot by selecting Account from the Launch Screen. If you wish to keep this handicap up-to-date manually, go to Account and then Score Settings and turn Auto Handicap to Off.

If you leave Auto Handicap On, the Golfshot app will measure an approximate handicap allowing users to play with their friends using handicap scoring. However an official handicap is always recommended.

The long and short of it is that the app can calculate your handicap because it has your scores, but they are clear in stating that it is not a USGA official handicap.  This makes sense to me.

My follow on question is: Is it necessary to play 18 holes to get a true measure of handicap?  I play a lot of 9 hole rounds and wonder if I am skewing my handicap in one direction or another.

I had the same question about the 9 hole thing, but above, rustyredcab says that each simultaneous 9 hole round are added together to equal one full round. Im not sure how this works if it is a different course from the previous 1/2 round and what not.

Originally Posted by KingG

http://www.oobgolf.com is a nice site that lets  you upload scores via the computer or a phone app and it'll calculate an unofficial handicap for you.  It also lets you track lots of other data about your game and is very useful.

You can also graph all the data as you collect it and see your development over time.

Very nice resource, thanks a ton, i'll look into that.

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Could be that they have no USGA affiliation, but odd that a municipally owned course would not at least have a loose affiliation that lets them keep handicaps through the Western Pennsylvania Golf Association. The WPGA is your local USGA regional "office." They provide the handicapping in your area. Here's link with member clubs:

http://www.wpga.org/handicapping/resources/wpga_course_rating_listing.htm

Sorry Buddy, I meant PUBLIC, not municipal. It's privately owned. It's a shame, it's a nice 27 hole course as well. Someone challenging. Not sure what the slope is, as they don't rate it on the score card for some reason....

I still have no idea how I would even join the USGA under a home club. Would I have to just go and ask said club to join under their name? I don't want to look like an idiot asking someone a question they know nothing about lol

Originally Posted by mikelegacy

I had the same question about the 9 hole thing, but above, rustyredcab says that each simultaneous 9 hole round are added together to equal one full round. Im not sure how this works if it is a different course from the previous 1/2 round and what not.

Very nice resource, thanks a ton, i'll look into that.

Sorry Buddy, I meant PUBLIC, not municipal. It's privately owned. It's a shame, it's a nice 27 hole course as well. Someone challenging. Not sure what the slope is, as they don't rate it on the score card for some reason....

I still have no idea how I would even join the USGA under a home club. Would I have to just go and ask said club to join under their name? I don't want to look like an idiot asking someone a question they know nothing about lol

If you play a course that has not been rated and has no slope or course rating, I'm not sure what you do. I would ask in the pro shop what numbers to use for rating and slope. If they do not have any idea, I guess I would not post the score. If it was my regular course, I'd be in trouble establishing a handicap.

When you play nine holes, if the individual nines are not rated, and you can find no reason to think the front is dramatically different than the back, then take 1/2 of the course rating and the full slope when you post your nine-hole round. Most programs, and the USGA, have you choose "nine-hole" when posting the score. That posting creates a nine -hole differential and that differential is added to the next nine-hole differential. The resulting sum becomes and 18-hole differential and is used as one of your 20 latest rounds. The date of the round is the date of the second nine-hole round.

You can go to any public course that is a USGA handicap posting course, ask the person at the pro shop if they allow on-line posting (most do), and ask to have them keep your handicap. "How much per year?" Around Chicago, they would all gladly take your $35 a year. If there is on-line posting, you need never visit them again. Or you can swing by and print your official label to show your current index (they have handy label printers.) I kept my handicap at the muni close to home for years because on-line posting had not been invented and I played all over. It was easiest for me to swing by and post a score -on my way home. When on-line posting became available, I didn't even need to stop by to post a score.

http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/havetojoinclub.htm There are clubs you can join online for like 10 bux that will keep your handicap

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

go to a local municipal course and pay the money for a ghin card membership.  that easy.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I joined one of the available eClubs for the VSGA. I go online after a round and post the score. GHIN has an app that lets you post immediately from the course. I also use GolfShot for scoring and GPS, but find that the handicap calculation isn't always accurate. I would rely on the official handicap, and do in my case as well. I play 9 holes most of the time as well and those scores are combined for an 18 hole score. For the difference in slope/rating, those are factored in to account for the difficulty of each 9. I'm not sure if they're exactly averaged or not, but my assumption is they are. The beauty is, once you get on GHIN, you don't have to worry about that. You post your score, they do the legwork of matching everything up, calculating it, and you get a handicap refresh twice a month via email.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Note: This thread is 4294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!